Let’s go to MAKRO

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Let’s go to MAKRO

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Makro is the best alternative to not getting what I want. One of the things I don t like about it is they scan your purchases in the cart, not taking them out. After the woman rifles through what I purchase I am never sure that I am not being charged twice for a product and any soft products, bread etc always seem to be under a heavy item. Nothing like pancaked croissants, trying to cut one down the middle is like opening a grilled cheese sandwich. At least they don't wrap the bag of precut coconuts in another bag
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:36 pm
MAKRO is a Thai chain of warehouse shopping, similar to BJ’s, Costco, Sam’s Club. There is a branch in Sen Sok. The tourist attraction for locals in the one in Siem Reap city.
We have Makro in the UK. I was unaware it was a Thai chain. Or is it an amalgamation of a Thai and foreign chain, much like Tesco (British) Lotus (Thai) ?

Looking at the photo's. it looks much nicer than the one we have in PP.

I went to the the one in PP just last week to buy an office chair. I assumed that you chose one of the ones on display and they would give you a brand new boxed one, but when I asked for the one I wanted, I was told you simply take it from the display and go and pay. One of the wheels was missing and the other ones just looked dirty and second-hand.

I changed my mind and went elsewhere.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

xandreu wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:32 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:36 pm
MAKRO is a Thai chain of warehouse shopping, similar to BJ’s, Costco, Sam’s Club. There is a branch in Sen Sok. The tourist attraction for locals in the one in Siem Reap city.
We have Makro in the UK. I was unaware it was a Thai chain. Or is it an amalgamation of a Thai and foreign chain, much like Tesco (British) Lotus (Thai) ?

Looking at the photo's. it looks much nicer than the one we have in PP.

I went to the the one in PP just last week to buy an office chair. I assumed that you chose one of the ones on display and they would give you a brand new boxed one, but when I asked for the one I wanted, I was told you simply take it from the display and go and pay. One of the wheels was missing and the other ones just looked dirty and second-hand.

I changed my mind and went elsewhere.
They are separate companies. At some point both of them were own at least partly by the parent Dutch/German(?) company but for some years already now, both the UK and the Thai Makro have been totally own entities. The Thai Makro is fully owned by the CP Thailand and the UK Makro by some investment company. I think originally Makro was a Dutch company?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Reading up on the Macro stores, I was going to ask if you needed a card like other countries, but with Macro Cambodia open to the general public I suppose not. Years ago I gained a contract to re-spray their main signage, on a handful of local stores, being the cheaper option for the company then having them remade, at the time they went from red to yellow.

^ Makro is an international brand of warehouse clubs, also called cash and carries. Ownership of the worldwide chain of stores is split between two companies: Metro AG in Europe and SHV Holdings in Latin America. SHV opened the first Makro in Amsterdam in 1968. In the following years more stores opened in the Netherlands and several other European countries and, in 1971, South Africa. In the 1970s and 1980s Makro extended its business to the Americas and Asia. Makro had also expanded to the United States in the mid-1980s. In 1989, Kmart bought the US locations, and converted most of them to Pace Warehouse in 1990. The Asian stores were also eventually sold out to various firms and are no longer banded "Makro". In 1998, owner SHV Holdings sold the Makro stores in Europe to Metro AG.
Makro stores are not open to the general public (except in Belgium, Brazil, Cambodia and Thailand. Non-members not eligible for discounts), but only to businesses which have to be registered members in order to gain entry to the store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro

Also has anyone noticed if they stock Schweppes Sarsi,

I noticed Cambo Market stock the product and also have free delivery 8am to 8pm is there a minimum order price.
Anyone shop with them, good or bad?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I went to the PP branch and found groceries surprisingly expensive, pretty much the same as Thai Hout. Not sure about electrical and household.
Been to Makro in Thailand and they seem to offer better value there, especially if you buy bulk tinned/packet goods, but there is a lot more competition in Thailand
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:25 pm Reading up on the Macro stores, I was going to ask if you needed a card like other countries, but with Macro Cambodia open to the general public I suppose not. Years ago I gained a contract to re-spray their main signage, on a handful of local stores, being the cheaper option for the company then having them remade, at the time they went from red to yellow.

^ Makro is an international brand of warehouse clubs, also called cash and carries. Ownership of the worldwide chain of stores is split between two companies: Metro AG in Europe and SHV Holdings in Latin America. SHV opened the first Makro in Amsterdam in 1968. In the following years more stores opened in the Netherlands and several other European countries and, in 1971, South Africa. In the 1970s and 1980s Makro extended its business to the Americas and Asia. Makro had also expanded to the United States in the mid-1980s. In 1989, Kmart bought the US locations, and converted most of them to Pace Warehouse in 1990. The Asian stores were also eventually sold out to various firms and are no longer banded "Makro". In 1998, owner SHV Holdings sold the Makro stores in Europe to Metro AG.
Makro stores are not open to the general public (except in Belgium, Brazil, Cambodia and Thailand. Non-members not eligible for discounts), but only to businesses which have to be registered members in order to gain entry to the store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makro

Also has anyone noticed if they stock Schweppes Sarsi,

I noticed Cambo Market stock the product and also have free delivery 8am to 8pm is there a minimum order price.
Anyone shop with them, good or bad?
Minimum price for delivery, Andy, is 150 dollars. I bought a fridge and something else and they carried it up 2 flights. I don't know about the schweppes but one week they have something and the next, poof, it's gone. Not worth the drive for you, IMO.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic