[Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI & MOL

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Re: [Confirmed] PP Post-Work Permits to be enforced by MOI &

Post by YourMother »

General Mackevili wrote:Posted on a Kampot/Kep Facebook group a few days ago:

...the Immigration visited or area about 4 days ago, retired person's require letter from the local commune chief stating that they don't work. Guess if you over a certain age they take this as gospel, yet to find out how much he charges but last time someone here had something signed off ( it was ref land change) he only charge 10000r. $60 bucks a year for retired plus usual bits and pieces. As a certain person in kampot has spread a tall tale that i have a list of everybody in kampot who work don't work etc retired etc, please feel free to pm me if you like further direction on this, as to those who are moaning about the new taxes why don't you pop down to the tax office at lunch time, when no body is there. Just read the new system as of Jan next year which is displayed in Khmer and English.
CONFIRMED: THERE ARE NO WORK PERMITS SO THEY WILL NOT BE ENFORCED.

My good ole retired friend needs nothing from anyone. Nothing is being enforced, and if it is, you just paid the wrong person.

He just was told Friday he needed nothing except his visa.

Better go get your money back and pay it to the right person.

General, you are starting bullshit rumors without checking with the proper authorities. Try popping down to the ministry. Or immigration. I got back friday with very precise and sincere facts that no one has been fined or otherwise.

There are no work permits. For the guy who posted what he thought was a work permit ... better ask the guy you got it from. It is not a work permit. I was told explicitly that THERE IS NO WORK PERMIT. Only a work book that they said a retiree does not need, and he does not need a letter either. And if someone paid something for anything .............................. SUCKA!
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

Let me tone this right down.

It is an extremely sensitive subject for many people.

I did go to immigration and they were very clear. Crystal clear. No one NO ONE I say has been fined. Asked about retroactive too. NO SUCH THING.

So I guess it is safe to say ............. do not pay anyone unless you go directly to immigration or MOL. And they were clear about Work Books and that there is NO WORK PERMIT IN CAMBODIA.

Look, can someone else pop by there and just verify this. When you get back across from the airport. You will need to speak Khmer to be very precise, but you could wing it if you have good body language.

3 things.

There is no work permit and they will not be able to tell you where to get one.

No one has been fined for anything retroactive.

If you are retired you only need a visa.

My friend brought the cash to pay for the retroactive past visas and a work book. After many questions and quite a few people involved ....... we left and he did not pay one penny.

That is PP. Maybe in other parts they do it differently.

You are going to give all the retired people heart attack, ack, acks!
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Much of the information coming out of Kampot appears to originate from the ex pat community centered in Kmaut Jao, where the residents seem positively eager to pay each and every official who gets involved with them. :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
YourMother
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by YourMother »

On Friday the big fat dude at the immigration office told us if ANYONE APPROACHED US to call the office. If they say it cannot be done during business hours ... something may be wrong.

I'll let the local paper post the crap that has been happening if they do. People dressed up in uniforms and coming just past 5pm.

Just tell them tomorrow or call somebody quick if they insist.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

takeoman wrote:Much of the information coming out of Kampot appears to originate from the ex pat community centered in Kmaut Jao, where the residents seem positively eager to pay each and every official who gets involved with them. :hattip:
This
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Kampot is full or weirdos... They've got barangs hungry for paperwork and instead of letting the dust settle and THEN pay, they go out and start paying every official they can. Don't believe everything you see posted there.
I remember a few months ago on Facebook Expats Kampot group that one man decided to just go fucking pay and the shit storm started.... at least down there. I have been waiting for 2 or 3 months for them to come knocking at my door. I live right next to a police hangout/drinking house. I don't think they really give a shit. Everyone around knows that I am living where I am.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Don't believe everything you see posted there.
Of course. I just said where that post came from, and it was an interesting post so posted it.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

YourMother wrote: CONFIRMED: THERE ARE NO WORK PERMITS SO THEY WILL NOT BE ENFORCED.
Why I bother to even reply to your nonsense is beyond me....there ARE work permits! Anyone in paid employment in Cambodia, by law, is supposed to have one. Not talking about retirees, because there is actually nothing in the law about them. Are work permits being enforced, it appears some places they are, others not...yet.

Also, what is the point in going to Immigration to inquire about work permits? They have absolutely nothing to do with it. The correct ministry for employment issues is The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training.
4. Foreign Employees

Regarding foreign employees, the 1997 Labor Law sets out the following regulations.

No foreigner can work unless he possesses a work permit and an employment card issued by the Ministry in charge of Labor. These foreigners must also meet the following conditions:

a. Employers must beforehand have a legal work permit to work in the Kingdom of Cambodia;

b. These foreigners must have legally entered the Kingdom of Cambodia;

c. These foreigners must possess a valid passport;

d. These foreigners must possess a valid residency permit;

e. These foreigners must be fit for their job and have no contagious diseases. These conditions must be determined by a Prakas (Ministerial Order) from the Ministry of Health with the approval of the Ministry in charge of Labor.

The work permit is valid for one year and may be extended as long as the validity of extension does not exceed the fixed period in the residency permit of the person in question (Article 261). The Ministry in charge of Labor shall issue a Prakas (Ministerial Order) for the issuance of work permits and employment cards to foreign workers (Article 262).

Inter-Ministerial Prakas # 1191 (MEF) on Fees for Work ID Cards, Work Books and Health Check Services of November 21, 2006
- Calendar year fee for Work ID cards and Work Books for each foreigner, who comes to stay for specific period in order to carry on any business for a wage/salary, shall be of US$ 100 per Work ID card and Work Book.
- Calendar year fee for Work ID card and Work Book for each foreigner, who are over 18 years old and comes to reside permanently in Cambodia, shall be of US$50 (fifty US Dollar) per Work ID card and Work Book.
- Foreigners, who already have their Work ID cards and Work Books, are obliged to apply for visa extension/authorization prior to the end of March every year.
- Health examination fee of US$ 15 for each foreigner shall be to be paid by employers.

The maximum percentage of foreigners who can be employed in each of the enterprises shall be determined by a Prakas of the Minister in charge of Labor based on each of the categories of personnel as follows (Article 264).

a. Office personnel

b. Specialized personnel

c. Non-specialized personnel
http://www.cambodiainvestment.gov.kh/in ... uring.html
http://www.dejudomlaw.com/immigration/overview/
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Your mother's shit is wearing thin on my patience ...
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

KINGDOM OF CAMBODIA
Nation Religion King
Ministry of Social Affairs,
Labour, and Veteran Affairs
No. 520/PRK/MOSALVA
Phnom Penh, December 31, 1997
PRAKAS
ON
THE WORK PERMIT AND EMPLOYMENT CARD
The Secretary of State for Social Affairs, Labour and Veteran Affairs
- Referring to the 1993 Constitution of the Kingdom of Cambodia;
- Referring to Reach Kram No. CS/RKM/0397/01 of March 13, 1997 promulgating the Labour Law;
- Referring to Reach Kret of November 1, 1993 on the formation of the Royal Government of Cambodia;
- Referring to Reach Kram 02/NS/94 of July 20, 1994 promulgating the Law on the Organization and
Functioning of the Council of Ministers;
- Referring to Reach Kret No. NS/RKT/1094/83 of October 24, 1994 on the Reorganization of the
Composition of the Royal Government of Cambodia;
IT IS HEREBY DECIDED
Article 1:
Owners or managers of any enterprise or establishment shall be prohibited to employ employees unless they
possess valid employment cards. Employers or managers shall facilitate their employees to come and fill the
application form for obtaining the employment card. Employees working in Phnom Penh shall contact with the
Department of Employment and Manpower of the Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour and Veteran Affairs while
those working in other provinces and municipalities shall contact with the Inspectorate of Social Affairs, Labour
and Veteran Affairs of their respective provinces and municipalities.
Article 2:
For Cambodian nationals:
An application for employment card shall be accompanied with the following:
• Application letter affixed with a 1,000 riels stamp: One (1) copy
• Identity card or resident certification (for those without identity card): One (1) copy
• Employment certificate issued by the owner or manager of the concerned enterprise or establishment
(see the sample in the annex of this Prakas): One (1) copy
• Photograph (4cm x 6cm): Four (4) sheets.
The employment card fee shall be a one time payment of One thousand and five hundred riels (1,500) Riels.
Article 3:
For foreign nationals:
a. Foreign nationals living outside Cambodia and entering Cambodia for the purpose of working or to be
employed temporarily shall fill an application for work permit and employment card accompanied with
the following:
• Application letter affixed with a 1,000 riels stamp: One (1) copy
• Passport: One (1) copy
• Resident card issued by the Ministry of Interior: One (1) copy
• Good physical aptitude certificate issued by the Department of Occupational Heath and
Safety: One (1) copy
• Yearly Fees: US$ 100.00
1 2
b. Foreign nationals who are 18 years old and above and living permanently in Cambodia shall possess
the work permit and employment card. An application for work permit and employment card shall be
accompanied with the following:
• Application Letter affixed with a 1,000 riels stamp: One (1) copy
• Permanent identity card issued by the Ministry of Interior: One (1) copy
• Yearly Fees: US$ 50,00
Referring to the items (a) and point (b) of this Prakas, foreign nationals shall pay the yearly fees for the work
permit and employment card not later than the end of March of each year.
Article 4:
Any foreign national who does not pay the yearly fees for the work permit and employment card fee as above
mentioned shall be fine up to 200% depending on the number of years in default.
Article 5:
Individuals found violating the provisions of this Prakas shall be fined or imposed a penalty in compliance with
the provisions provided under Articles 361 and 372 of the Labour Law of the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Article 6:
The Prakas No. 145 MOSALVA of February 15, 1996 of the Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour and Veteran
Affairs shall be declared null and void.
Article 7:
This Prakas shall take effect as of the date of its signature.
Secretary of State for Social Affairs,
Labour and Veteran Affairs
Signature and Seal
Suy Sem
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
YourMother wrote: CONFIRMED: THERE ARE NO WORK PERMITS SO THEY WILL NOT BE ENFORCED.
Why I bother to even reply to your nonsense is beyond me....there ARE work permits!
Ha! It took all of my willpower to not reply to him where he mentioned my name...

And thx for posting that helpful info above!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic