15,000 foreigners held in Thai prisons

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

15,000 foreigners held in Thai prisons

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Albert Jack -
December 18, 2019

A deputy official has revealed that #Thailand’s prison population is 300,000 convicts.

Out of these 15,000 are foreigners and 9,600 of these are in for drugs offences.

Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.

Out of the 300,000 population 1,170 died from illness in the last year.

Department of Corrections deputy Prawut Wongsinin told Komchadluek that big problems exist because foreigners in the prisons are often sick and don’t come under the Thai social security scheme.

They need to be treated to avoid infections being contracted by the general population and items like medication and surgeries do not come cheap.

The DoC is thus applying for 34 million baht to the Drug Prevention and Suppression Fund to treat the 9,600 inmates in prison for drugs.

This represents 3,600 baht a person.

Prawut said prior to this foreign embassies were contacted to help and patients were treated in government hospitals especially the Police Hospital. – Komchadluek

https://bangkokjack.com/2019/12/18/1500 ... i-prisons/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 15,000 foreigners held in Thai prisons

Post by phuketrichard »

Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:54 am Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.
What surprises you about that, richard?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:03 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:54 am Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.
the title is sensationalism
most people see the word "Foreigners", think westerners.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:43 am
i don't and I do not think that was implied in any way. The title just stated a fact. Or should it have been "15,000 foreigners held in Thai prisons; most non-whites"?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:43 am
I'm another who doesn't automatically consider*foreigner" representative of westerners only, and as a consequence I see no issue with the story title.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

It is what the Bangkok Post used as a title as well. Thais are xenophobic and with the money farang bring into Thailand a million dollars for health care taking care of all foreigners should not be a concern. I believe our deputy prime minister has that much in "borrowed watches" and no one batted an eye. I was also told by immigration in Sisaket that the onerous rules for foreigners were not really directed at us middle-aged white guys as most foreigners are not white and middle-aged. I can attest that when I go to immigration we farang makeup about a third of those waiting to be served and usually are treated quicker and with greater respect.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:33 am It is what the Bangkok Post used as a title as well. Thais are xenophobic and with the money farang bring into Thailand a million dollars for health care taking care of all foreigners should not be a concern. I believe our deputy prime minister has that much in "borrowed watches" and no one batted an eye. I was also told by immigration in Sisaket that the onerous rules for foreigners were not really directed at us middle-aged white guys as most foreigners are not white and middle-aged. I can attest that when I go to immigration we farang makeup about a third of those waiting to be served and usually are treated quicker and with greater respect.

I just find it sensationalism, up to you all what you call it. But many, not living in se asia, would read that and think,"thats alot of foreigners/ westerners".

Not sure about ur immigration office, but here in Phuket, the Cambodians, Burmese & Laotians have a separate immigration building, EXCEPT for reentry permits, ( where everyone lines up to get a number)
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:39 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:33 am It is what the Bangkok Post used as a title as well. Thais are xenophobic and with the money farang bring into Thailand a million dollars for health care taking care of all foreigners should not be a concern. I believe our deputy prime minister has that much in "borrowed watches" and no one batted an eye. I was also told by immigration in Sisaket that the onerous rules for foreigners were not really directed at us middle-aged white guys as most foreigners are not white and middle-aged. I can attest that when I go to immigration we farang makeup about a third of those waiting to be served and usually are treated quicker and with greater respect.

I just find it sensationalism, up to you all what you call it. But many, not living in se asia, would read that and think,"thats alot of foreigners/ westerners".

Not sure about ur immigration office, but here in Phuket, the Cambodians, Burmese & Laotians have a separate immigration building, EXCEPT for reentry permits, ( where everyone lines up to get a number)
when I read it in the Bangkok Post that was my reaction too, white privilege I am ashamed to admit
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Funny thing is the Cambodian press usually uses "foreigners" when they do not want to say who it is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic