American beggars in the Philippines (video)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

American beggars in the Philippines (video)

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Apparently scammed by filipinas..

Along the lines of earlier topic: post383138.html?hilit=canadian#p383138

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American beggars in the Philippines (video)

Post by Brody »

Aren't they all fervent Catholics over there?

If he's hungry can't he just waltz over to a Catholic church and get in line at the soup-kitchen for the poor?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Actually, the title of this vid is a bit misleading...not only are there claims of Americans being scammed and ending up beggars but others just scammed, not begging and not necessarily American (eg Swedish guy).

Raffy Tulfo seems to have made a career in TV shows around some of this and negotiating settlement outcomes.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Apparently Filipinas have worries about dating older western me too.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's probably more to it than being "scammed" - some likely had serious drink/ mental problems etc to end up like that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

The Philippines is a god awful place when you have money, it must be a nightmare to be broke and homeless begging. The competition would be fierce, the food is barely edible in the restaurants so eating scraps would be a nightmare, it has the highest murder rate in Asia and a good healthy kidney will only sell for $1500. That's if you dont wake up in a bathtub full of ice and nothing but a scar to show for it. I have been to 55 countries, The Philippines is at the very bottom of my list of where I would return to.

JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I dunno why but I get a South American vibe from the Philippines
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Brody wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:18 pm Aren't they all fervent Catholics over there?

If he's hungry can't he just waltz over to a Catholic church and get in line at the soup-kitchen for the poor?
pagpag is an acquired taste even if you are paying for it,
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:10 pm
Brody wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:18 pm Aren't they all fervent Catholics over there?

Without wanting to go off topic too much, I gotta say AW my life will not be the same after seeing this vid.. Beyond meat substitute? Sorta reminds me of this I saw a few years back:

Anyway, it seems 'pagpag' is carefully washed after removing the bones and cooked at high heat..
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:26 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Without wanting to go off topic too much, I gotta say AW my life will not be the same after seeing this vid.. Beyond meat substitute? Sorta reminds me of this I saw a few years back:

Anyway, it seems 'pagpag' is carefully washed after removing the bones and cooked at high heat..
Three years ago I spent 6 months in Guangzhou on business. The street food was particularly oily and my wife told my business host's wife how little she liked eating noodles in China, the host's wife replied that if they do not give you too much oil the shop owner is considered cheap and no one will eat there. The host took me to a snake restaurant one night and the broiled snake wasn t bad but I was also served the snakes gallbladder. I was told it was a great honour to be the one who was given it. It tasted disgusting and I told him so. He informed me it was very good for my eyesight. I reached into my shirt pocket and removed my glasses and told him I preferred to wear these than eat bile. He nearly peed himself laughing and later I found out I was not the first white western businessman he had pulled that stunt on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic