Motorcycle Tour. I will be n PP January 8th for 10 weeks. I want to take a tour by motorcycle first into Vietnam

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tim Smith
Expatriate
Canada

Motorcycle Tour. I will be n PP January 8th for 10 weeks. I want to take a tour by motorcycle first into Vietnam

Post by Tim Smith »

What size bike should I buy. I will have a companion. I don’t want to spend much on the bike. Where should I buy it? License required? Want to take 8 weeks and travel several countries, which ones? Routes etc.
Thanks
imheathan
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Motorcycle Tour. I will be n PP January 8th for 10 weeks. I want to take a tour by motorcycle first into Vietnam

Post by phuketrichard »

BUY? You want buy a bike for 2 months?
See lots of Vietnamese honda's ( 110-125) for sale on fb of people that do what your wanting to do...
$250-800
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Motorcycle Tour. I will be n PP January 8th for 10 weeks. I want to take a tour by motorcycle first into Vietnam

Post by AndyKK »

Tim Smith wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 am What size bike should I buy. I will have a companion. I don’t want to spend much on the bike. Where should I buy it? License required? Want to take 8 weeks and travel several countries, which ones? Routes etc.
Thanks
I think if I am not mistaken if you intend on going into any other country from here the bike must be registered in your name.
That too would comply with the law that a foreigner now, to have a bike registered in their name has to buy a new one.
Price for example, Honda dream over $2000
Always "hope" but never "expect".
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Tim Smith wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:49 am What size bike should I buy. I will have a companion. I don’t want to spend much on the bike. Where should I buy it? License required? Want to take 8 weeks and travel several countries, which ones? Routes etc.
Thanks
In terms of other countries, you might want to look into this possibility:

Motorbiking the Bolaven Plateau in Laos
https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profil ... pakse/3182

In general, motorbike RENTAL is available throughout the region.

Someone will soon mention travel insurance and full-face helmets.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

Your only real option if buying second-hand would be to buy a viet reg bike in cambodia,(make sure you have the blue card)then cross into Vietnam.Travel up Vietnam, then you could cross into Laos from Vietnam and finally return to Cambodia.On a viet reg bike you can not cross from cambodia to Laos but is ok from Laos to cambodia.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

andy1 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:02 pm Your only real option if buying second-hand would be to buy a viet reg bike in cambodia,(make sure you have the blue card)then cross into Vietnam.Travel up Vietnam, then you could cross into Laos from Vietnam and finally return to Cambodia.On a viet reg bike you can not cross from cambodia to Laos but is ok from Laos to cambodia.

Is this new about not being able to go from Cambodia to Laos? I have done it before but not for about a year. I had to pay a service charge. More than the usual service charge.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

hiway5 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:54 pm
andy1 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:02 pm Your only real option if buying second-hand would be to buy a viet reg bike in cambodia,(make sure you have the blue card)then cross into Vietnam.Travel up Vietnam, then you could cross into Laos from Vietnam and finally return to Cambodia.On a viet reg bike you can not cross from cambodia to Laos but is ok from Laos to cambodia.

Is this new about not being able to go from Cambodia to Laos? I have done it before but not for about a year. I had to pay a service charge. More than the usual service charge.
I have heard reports of viet reg bikes being refused entry into Laos from Cambodia,What reg was your bike?
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Vietnam. Didn't have a problem before. Things always changing I guess.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic