Thai victims’ group warns of mass protests against ‘military’ government

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

"This is the time for the people to make noise"

Post by sigmoid »

Thai opposition party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit called on supporters to mobilise in Bangkok on Saturday (Dec 14)

In a Facebook video, Thanathorn, who is popular among social media-savvy young Thais, called on people who were "fed up with a society like this" to take to the street on Saturday. It is the first time he has made such a call.

"This is the time for the people to make noise," Thanathorn said in the video.

"If you agree with me that now is the time for people to stand up to fight, demand legitimacy, justice and equality, come out on Dec 14."

His tweet calling for mobilisation was retweeted more than 20,000 times in over two hours.

Police at the Bangkok district to which Thanathorn has called his followers said they had not received a request for a gathering in line with a law on public meetings.

The government made no immediate comment. Without naming Thanathorn, Thailand's army has made plain its dislike of a new movement it accuses of plotting against the government and monarchy.

Thanathorn's call came days after Thailand's election panel asked the Constitutional Court to dissolve the Future Forward Party, accusing it of infringing laws governing political parties by accepting multimillion-dollar loans from its leader, Thanathorn.

The election panel submitted the request formally on Friday.

It is not yet clear whether authorities will allow the gathering to take place.
Full article: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... k-12182090
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
adders28
Expatriate

Re: "This is the time for the people to make noise"

Post by adders28 »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 pm Thai opposition party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit called on supporters to mobilise in Bangkok on Saturday (Dec 14)

In a Facebook video, Thanathorn, who is popular among social media-savvy young Thais, called on people who were "fed up with a society like this" to take to the street on Saturday. It is the first time he has made such a call.

"This is the time for the people to make noise," Thanathorn said in the video.

"If you agree with me that now is the time for people to stand up to fight, demand legitimacy, justice and equality, come out on Dec 14."

His tweet calling for mobilisation was retweeted more than 20,000 times in over two hours.

Police at the Bangkok district to which Thanathorn has called his followers said they had not received a request for a gathering in line with a law on public meetings.

The government made no immediate comment. Without naming Thanathorn, Thailand's army has made plain its dislike of a new movement it accuses of plotting against the government and monarchy.

Thanathorn's call came days after Thailand's election panel asked the Constitutional Court to dissolve the Future Forward Party, accusing it of infringing laws governing political parties by accepting multimillion-dollar loans from its leader, Thanathorn.

The election panel submitted the request formally on Friday.

It is not yet clear whether authorities will allow the gathering to take place.
Full article: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... k-12182090
Patpicha Best
@patpichatan
·
17m
Hundreds are gathering in downtown Bangkok half an hour before Future Forward’s Thanathorn is due to join the rally. It’s the first time he has called for a mobilization. #กลัวที่ใหน

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Thai victims’ group warns of mass protests against ‘military’ government

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Several thousand in the end according to journalists, it's a start. He realises the writing is on the wall as the legislature is slowly being used to shut him and his party down, he has to act now. I personally hope it gathers steam and forces the dictatorship to display its anti-democrstic colours even more blatantly. I like the idea of a mass peaceful protest and then dispersion, becoming bigger and bigger but not allowing any room for the authorities to legitimately shut it down.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Out with the old, in with the new....interesting concept
To bad the old wont go quietly into the night

Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a 41-year-old billionaire, revived memories of the spasms of street protest that have roiled the Thai capital periodically during the past two decades of political turbulence.

But there was no sign of any attempt to block the biggest demonstration since Prayuth seized power in 2014 on promises to end such unrest.

“This is just the beginning,” Thanathorn told the cheering crowd that spilled across walkways and stairways close to the MBK Centre mall, in the heart of Bangkok’s shopping and business district.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... SKBN1YI06H

Anyone else recall the other "Billionaire" back in 2000 that tried to bring democracy to the country and what happened to him?
Not to be pessimistic but.... democracy in Thailand.... :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:50 pm Several thousand in the end according to journalists, it's a start. He realises the writing is on the wall as the legislature is slowly being used to shut him and his party down, he has to act now. I personally hope it gathers steam and forces the dictatorship to display its anti-democrstic colours even more blatantly. I like the idea of a mass peaceful protest and then dispersion, becoming bigger and bigger but not allowing any room for the authorities to legitimately shut it down.
I did post here weeks ago things were moving but most just laughed at me! my thai friend in exile says they have big plans this is not going to be pretty. Prayut IS losing his grip as in my other thread i started.....Image
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

adders28 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:43 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:50 pm Several thousand in the end according to journalists, it's a start. He realises the writing is on the wall as the legislature is slowly being used to shut him and his party down, he has to act now. I personally hope it gathers steam and forces the dictatorship to display its anti-democrstic colours even more blatantly. I like the idea of a mass peaceful protest and then dispersion, becoming bigger and bigger but not allowing any room for the authorities to legitimately shut it down.
I did post here weeks ago things were moving but most just laughed at me! my thai friend in exile says they have big plans this is not going to be pretty. Prayut IS losing his grip as in my other thread i started.....Image
https://uglytruththailand.wordpress.com ... me-coming/
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

^ You did, and I disagreed that the 2 events you highlighted were any evidence of an active groundswell of popular street mass activism/opposition.

The question remains will this more credible demonstration gain traction, how will Prayut and the establishment deal with it and if Thanathorn and his party are closed down and he is possibly jailed are there any other effective leaders to continue to mobilise the opposition. If they could pull a crowd in the 10's of thousands next time we may have game on.

Prayut and the junta continue to shoot themselves in the foot with their double standards, such as the current case of their MP with the chicken farm encroaching on protected land. The courts are clearly being shown to be so politically biased to the establishment it is just adding more fuel to the potential fire.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

These two dudes need to get together, kick some arse and put Sudarat in the prime minister's seat!

ImageImageImage
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

adders28 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 pm
adders28 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:43 pm
https://uglytruththailand.wordpress.com ... me-coming/
If they put him in jail he will become like a martyr , like they did not want thaksin or yingluck in jail. His meeting with joshua wong very interesting.
Wait for the january protests they should be massive, with protests also in paris (faiyen band)
no rama 9 supporting the dictators this time, the king has his crowd control division now so he was prepared even though he will be comfortable up in the hilton , munich
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic