I need 20 amps

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

I need 20 amps

Post by jovial fucher »

Currently, in my apartment, I have a 10 amp supply of power. I need another 10, so say the guys that put in my AC and hot water heaters.

I hear the EDC does this and wanted to get the lowdown on the situation. Is it free to upgrade? (always a good question)

TIA
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Re: I need 20 amps

Post by jah steu »

No it’s not free. If you are renting, you may have to involve the owner to request the upgrade from Cambodia Electric.
There is an official upgrade price list but the actual cost could be anywhere from $200-300 depending on how urgently you want it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

From what I have seen in the past, you probably buy the new larger wire for connecting to your house, and they connect it. Talk to them first, and find out what size you need. Then you need a larger circuit breaker.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

My experience is in Siem Reap where upgrading to 20 amps is fairly easy and cheap if you are dealing with the electricity company. Doing it with the landlord will depend on his goodwill. Doing it the "proper" way costs something like $100 and waiting several weeks. You can do it under the counter though for around $40 and instant service. From what I understand its just a matter of flicking a switch on the pole. If you need 30 amps it is more involved as they have to change the connection box on the pole outside. 30 amps can not be done under the counter and if I recall correctly it cost somewhere around $300-$500. For 20 amps you do not necessarily have to change the circuit breaker in the house as the ones installed can usually cope with 20 amps unless it is very old. Even for 30 amps I dont think they changed the main circuit breaker but they definitely did a thorough wiring test.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Unless you already have a wire running to the apartment large enough to take 20 amps, they will need to replace the existing wire with wire large enough to take 20 amps.

With the circuit breakers, it depends on what is already there. A good electrician can tell you. You may only need a new circuit breaker for the air conditioner.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Consider installing safety switches. This will cost a bit more. I don't know how available they are in Cambodia, as very few places use them. They save lives if a fault occurs. It is now law in Australia to have them.

Obviously balance up the benefits, with the cost, particularly if you don't own the property. If you plan to stay there a long time, it may be worthwhile.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

samrong01 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:23 am My experience is in Siem Reap where upgrading to 20 amps is fairly easy and cheap if you are dealing with the electricity company. Doing it with the landlord will depend on his goodwill. Doing it the "proper" way costs something like $100 and waiting several weeks. You can do it under the counter though for around $40 and instant service. From what I understand its just a matter of flicking a switch on the pole. If you need 30 amps it is more involved as they have to change the connection box on the pole outside. 30 amps can not be done under the counter and if I recall correctly it cost somewhere around $300-$500. For 20 amps you do not necessarily have to change the circuit breaker in the house as the ones installed can usually cope with 20 amps unless it is very old. Even for 30 amps I dont think they changed the main circuit breaker but they definitely did a thorough wiring test.
Thanks for your answer, SR01! I have a landlord that likes...cash...so I wanted to find out about how it works before I approach. I need a plan.

I've put in breakers for the AC and heaters and 1.5 wiring to them from the box. The pre-existing wires I don't know about and I don't really want a house fire. I'll need to have that checked.

Who do I talk to if I want to do it under the radar? Does the EDC do the wiring check?

Thanks again!
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

jah steu wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:16 pm No it’s not free. If you are renting, you may have to involve the owner to request the upgrade from Cambodia Electric.
There is an official upgrade price list but the actual cost could be anywhere from $200-300 depending on how urgently you want it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your answer, JS. I was afraid I would get an answer like this. I'll have to upgrade the length of my lease if it costs that much. :beer2:
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:21 am Consider installing safety switches. This will cost a bit more. I don't know how available they are in Cambodia, as very few places use them. They save lives if a fault occurs. It is now law in Australia to have them.

Obviously balance up the benefits, with the cost, particularly if you don't own the property. If you plan to stay there a long time, it may be worthwhile.
Mmmm, safety switches. (I said that in Homer Simpson's voice)

Yeah, I agree, EX. I draw the line at electrical and plumbing as I don't want to get the shit shocked out of me. :hattip:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:47 am From what I have seen in the past, you probably buy the new larger wire for connecting to your house, and they connect it. Talk to them first, and find out what size you need. Then you need a larger circuit breaker.
Usually the wiring isn't the problem, but the default 10A circuitbraker in the housing down the road has to be changed by EDC. The prices are lower than they used to be, but still shocking. You need your landlord to make the arrangements, maybe he's willing to do because you will probaby pay more than the EDC price to him so there's a piece of the pie for him in it too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic