What did you expect when you came to live here?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

What did you expect when you came to live here?

Post by Hotdigr »

So you made your choice to move to Cambodia.
Which,according to all statistics,is one of the poorest nations in the world.
With all the endemic problems that go with that fact. Lack of infrastructure,corruption in the govt. no real stability in any facet of life. People who are POOR FFS.
Now you whinge an whine on Facebook and the various forums about life here - the power supply is intermittent ( at best), the police are corrupt and incapable, the women are just out to fleece you for all the money they can get, the roads suck, the water is not drinkable , no sewage system let alone garbage collection, the other foreigners here are all a bunch of drunk/drug fuked/sex addicted no hopers that can not be trusted, the khmers are lazy no hopers as well and are to be trusted even less then that western druggie at the bar, the food sux and the service is even worse and GODDAM those pushy moto dops and tuk tuk drivers because if I have to smile an say "Otay Arkun" one more time today to these locals who are trying to make a living and feed their families for a month on what use to be my hourly rate ( not overtime mind you, not for THAT pissy rate!) I'm going to go postal and .........so on.....ad nauseaum.
So come on, 'fess up now.... what did you really expect when you moved here?
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: What did you expect when you came to live here?

Post by Francis »

Hmmm.....quite appropriate words you are using. Yes, it's a shithole, and it doesn't seem to get better. What did I expect ? I expected more freedom, I wasn't happy with the brain washing system in my country either. Did I find what I wanted ??........No, not really .......but I'm not as narrow minded anymore as I used to be...............maybe it takes a shithole to be freed from the burden of the past.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I expected that the Woman's family would help somewhat with the care of our young son when we came here to live. He was two months old and I thought it was in her best interests if she was relatively close to family. Didn't work out that way, so for all the help she got we might have well stayed in Oz. Bloody useless really.

No regrets coming to live here mind you. I knew I was living in a nanny state and coming here has been quite liberating in some ways. I'd been here about 5 times before the move so knew to some extent what the place was like.

I love the women here but unfortunately don't have much time for the men in general but there are a few exceptions.

I'm impressed with the resilience and ingenuity of the poor folk here, not impressed with the Lexus/Range Rover set. You know about the corruption here when you visit but after living here for a few years you realise how endemic it is - of course, most of it will be well hidden.

I was stuck behind a police plated Hummer earlier tonight - marvellous what you can do on a low salary here, gotta admire that - insert sarcasm smily...

So, my expectations were very low, I wasn't coming in with only a Lonely Planet to guide me.

End of ramble - oh look, it's beer O'clock!
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

OP: You sound like you've lost faith in humanity. I shall remember you in my prayers .
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

The only reason I came here was because I met my girlfriend. Before here I was living in the Philippines. Honestly, I would rather live in Russia, China, Iran, Viet Nam or Belarus as I am more favorable to their governments. Right now I am in the process of getting a Z visa to work in China. China is the only sane country in Asia
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Really, someone came here expecting anything ?

:-)
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Honey69
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by Honey69 »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:45 am The only reason I came here was because I met my girlfriend. Before here I was living in the Philippines. Honestly, I would rather live in Russia, China, Iran, Viet Nam or Belarus as I am more favorable to their governments. Right now I am in the process of getting a Z visa to work in China. China is the only sane country in Asia
Welcome to China. You are right that China is the only sane country. You will feel very happy here with all the super smart and kind people.
"please keep the personal squabbling and name calling to a minimum. we do not want it here. use the ignore function if you are unable to contain your animosities in debate."
--- frank lee bent ---
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Nothing
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

After 20/years here I no longer remember what I expected since I've grown used to what I've got. Or don't have as the case may be. One unexpected positive is my wife; I couldn't have found better in any other country in the world.

One unexpected result was the entirely unpredictable influence on my personality. Living in a third world country. brings out both the best and the worst in me. Also, I've learned to really appreciate small things I took for granted before arriving here. Still Cambodia and I have a long path toward self improvement ahead of us.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

violet wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 amNothing
Likewise. Almost nothing.

I did expect better visa/wp conditions..which are still way better than Thailand.

After seeing Poipet, I expected the whole country to be like that. Luckily, it wasn't.

I didn't expect the locals to be so friendly
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic