Thinking of living in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thinking of living in Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

explorer wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:36 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 pm The problem is while you are in Cambodia on long holidays you end up with so much ' junk '' that you get attached to, or stuff that you need when you come back next time. So what do you do with it ?
Leave it with friends.

If you make friends with Cambodian people, many of them are happy for you to leave things at their place when you are not there. Some places are more secure than others.

It is also a good idea to minimize what you have.
You don't just 'leave your things with Cambodian friends' without those same things being sold and not available to you later when you want them.

I'd advocate one of two approaches: learn to do with less, or sell the things yourself and recoup at least part of your investment.

You are sure to get 0% return on anything you buy by giving it to a Khmer to keep for you later.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tarndog wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:22 am
Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 pm you end up with so much ' junk '' that you get attached to,
: learn to do with less, sell the things
Does anybody want to buy 3 cubic metres of only mould smelling, not actually rotting, mid life Cambodia Dailys and reeeally interesting scientific papers?
All of it available online of course, but you never know, you might need the actual source document - one day..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^
Sorry. i've decided to keep them after all.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:22 am
Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 pm The problem is while you are in Cambodia on long holidays you end up with so much ' junk '' that you get attached to, or stuff that you need when you come back next time. So what do you do with it ?
Leave it with friends.

If you make friends with Cambodian people, many of them are happy for you to leave things at their place when you are not there. Some places are more secure than others.

You don't just 'leave your things with Cambodian friends' without those same things being sold and not available to you later when you want them.

I'd advocate one of two approaches: learn to do with less, or sell the things yourself and recoup at least part of your investment.

You are sure to get 0% return on anything you buy by giving it to a Khmer to keep for you later.
At various times I have left things with five different Cambodian friends. Nothing has been sold or stolen so far. I can't guarantee what will happen in the future. I speak Khmer, spend a lot of time with Cambodian people, and have a lot of Cambodian friends.

The risk of things getting stolen is low because most of my things are not very valuable, and not many people know they are there. The most expensive item is a bicycle.

When leaving things, see if they have a lockable storage type room. Some places don't have a lockable room, so all visitors would see your things, and there is a risk of things getting stolen. It may also be an inconvenience to people with a small house.

I know of someone leaving a motorbike, and someone leaving a car with Cambodian friends.

Things like motorbikes are much more likely to be stolen than less expensive items. So be careful with expensive items.

I know of someone who left a bicycle with a guest house. They hired it out while he was away. When he came back some parts were so worn, he needed to replace them.

It started for me years ago. I changed my flight date. When I looked at my new ticket, there was no check in luggage. I rang them, and check in luggage was $100 more. I thought it through, my clothes that I had worn for a while, could be replaced with new ones for not much more than $100. So I left them with a friend.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Roadie wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:18 pm I enjoy living in Cambo and can't see myself living elsewhere for a few years but I wouldn't live in Phnom pen either. The country towns are much better for me but we all look for different things so coming over to see for yourself is the answer.
I like the country towns too. I would not want to live in Phnom Penh.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic