Sending Apartment Agents Deposits w/o Seeing Apartment

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Sending Apartment Agents Deposits w/o Seeing Apartment

Post by BrazilBoy »

I'm trrying to find an apartment in Tuol Kok area in adavnce of my arrival and agents I'm working with are asking me to send the deposit to hold the apartment. The apartments look nice from the pictures but my instinct is to arrive first and then decide.

I'm certain I already know the answer to the question, but is it wise to transfer money for a deposit before arriving in Cambodia?
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Sending Apartment Agents Deposits w/o Seeing Apartment

Post by jovial fucher »

BrazilBoy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 pm I'm trrying to find an apartment in Tuol Kok area in adavnce of my arrival and agents I'm working with are asking me to send the deposit to hold the apartment. The apartments look nice from the pictures but my instinct is to arrive first and then decide.

I'm certain I already know the answer to the question, but is it wise to transfer money for a deposit before arriving in Cambodia?
You're gonna get smoked. One of the last people you want to trust sight-unseen is a real estate agent in a country without licensing procedures.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

BrazilBoy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 pm Agents I'm working with are asking me to send the deposit to hold the apartment.
Sorry to say, but even asking that kind of question, you should think whether you're the right fit for Cambodia.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

BrazilBoy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 pm I'm trrying to find an apartment in Tuol Kok area in adavnce of my arrival and agents I'm working with are asking me to send the deposit to hold the apartment. The apartments look nice from the pictures but my instinct is to arrive first and then decide.

Do not do this under any circumstances. There are a billion vacant apartments in Phnom Penh. You cannot assess an apartment and commit to it just from photos.

Also, they're unlikely to "hold" it for you if someone comes along with more money anyway. They will just take your deposit and say "Sorry, it's not available let's look at something else."

Arrive in Cambodia with like $1000 cash in your pocket and rent a hotel room for 2-3 nights and you can go find an apartment in a day or two. One that you choose after actually seeing it.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

frizzie77 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:46 pm
BrazilBoy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 pm Agents I'm working with are asking me to send the deposit to hold the apartment.
Sorry to say, but even asking that kind of question, you should think whether you're the right fit for Cambodia.
That's pretty uncalled for, His opening gambit was "I'm certain I already know..." BB approached the forum for some friendly help and advice. So why not give him that instead?

@BrazilBoy - yeah, don't send money. Read the advice of others. Get here, check in to a hotel and then go rent an apartment that you have seen and are happy with.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Thanks for the feedback; I was just making sure what I already knew. I only asked because the school recommended the agent.

I checked Agoda and there are plenty of really nice and reasonably priced hotels in the Tuol Kok area. For US$50 per night, you can get a good deal.

Two last questions:
can I negotiate like 2-months to move in? One month deposit and 1st month rent?
Is US$700 per month a reasonable budget for a clean 2BR?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:13 am Thanks for the feedback; I was just making sure what I already knew. I only asked because the school recommended the agent.

I checked Agoda and there are plenty of really nice and reasonably priced hotels in the Tuol Kok area. For US$50 per night, you can get a good deal.

Two last questions:
can I negotiate like 2-months to move in? One month deposit and 1st month rent?
Is US$700 per month a reasonable budget for a clean 2BR?
I would suggest looking online at rentals / expat rentals / rooms in PP to gage what cost / location / quality you can get.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I had a 2BR for about $400 with elevator and security as well as parking for my car.

In $700 range I think you’re looking at pools and gym included.

Maybe do an Airbnb (do super host) for a month and look around. I would recommend Russian market.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16262771?s=51
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey B Braz, Toul Kok is very nice. The agent may be good if recommended by the school. - but you can still get stuck with a less than optimum apartment. Just me, but i like to see all the micro-factors which the real estate agents pay little attention to. Micro climate, neighbours, traffic, garden, local trees, views, micro-neighbourhood, vibe, etc. ghosts? chuckle.
Best of luck. How long before you arrive?
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:15 am Hey B Braz, Toul Kok is very nice. The agent may be good if recommended by the school. - but you can still get stuck with a less than optimum apartment. Just me, but i like to see all the micro-factors which the real estate agents pay little attention to. Micro climate, neighbours, traffic, garden, local trees, views, micro-neighbourhood, vibe, etc. ghosts? chuckle.
Best of luck. How long before you arrive?
So its ok to use an agent?
I can't decide between a $700 with pool and gym or $500 w/o pool and gym and just join a gym.

I'm arriving December 25th more or less.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic