CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Angkor Wat Khmer Empire Marathon 2019 Gears Up

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

It's marathon time again at Angkor Wat.

Khmer Empire Marathon date set
June 27, 2019
Over 1,000 local and foreign runners, hailing from around the world, have already signed up for Siem Reap’s annual Khmer Empire Full Marathon which is this year slated for August 4th.

The Khmer Empire Marathon will take in the UNESCO-listed Angkor Wat temple complex – the largest religious monument in the world. During the race, runners will pass by innumerable historical monuments.

Vath Chamroeun, secretary general of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia which helps to organise the event, told media that he expected to see an increase in runners than previous years.

“As of now, more than 1,000 registrants from 38 countries have registered, said Mr. Chamroeun at a press conference yesterday morning. “For the full marathon of 42 kilometers we have more than 600 registrants while the 21-kilometre variant has over 500.”

The secretary general confirmed that any money raised, like previous years, would be donated to charity.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50618002/k ... -date-set/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Angkor Wat Khmer Empire Marathon 2019 Gears Up

(Siem Reap, Cambodia): The sixth edition of the 2019 Khmer Marathon will be held at the Angkor Wat temple area on 4 August 2019.

HE Vath Chamroeun, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Tourism and Secretary-General of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia, said that as of now, there are over 3,000 registered participants, with more than 1600 foreign runners from 50 countries around the world.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

International Marathoner Praises Cambodia’s Development (Video inside)
05/08/19 22:47

Siem Reap (FN), Aug. 4 - A Romanian marathoner has been amazed at the development of all sectors in Cambodia, speaking on the occasion of the 6th Khmer Empire Marathon in the morning of 4 August 2019 in front of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap.

Chris expressed his delight and pride to attend this marathon.

“My name is Christ. I was born in Romania. I am very happy to be in Siem Reap. I think Cambodia and Cambodian Events Organizer Team has done a good job organizing this adventure marathon. I hope that there can be more marathons in Battambang and in Phnom Penh,” he said.

The opening of the 42-kilometer international event, started with a torch, began at 4:30 am. It was presided over by Dr. Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism and chairman of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia (NOCC); Hang Pov, director-general of Apsara, and deputy governor of Siem Reap, and attended by 3,500 national and international athletes, including 1,600 foreigners from 50 countries, an increase of 15% compared to 2018.

The 42-km marathon also includes a 21-km half-marathon, 10-km, and a 3-km Family Fun Run. The 24th Angkor International Half Marathon will take place on Sunday, 8 December 2019 in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
FRESH NEWS

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap: The opening of the Angkor Wat Half-Marathon on Sunday, the 8 December 2019, was presided over by HE Dr Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism and Chairman of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia, HE Hang Peak, Director General of Apsara Authority, and HE Pov Piseth Deputy Governor of Siem Reap. The event attracted over 12,000 participants from 85 countries.

The 24th Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was Held on Sunday 08 December 2019
23 years of the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon
This historical marathon event to Cambodian people was planned to start in 1995, but it could realize from 1996 with the main purpose of raising fund to support and encourage the landmine victims who survived after a long civil war to take normal lives as others. The Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was also set up for the purpose of consolidating the nation and intimate friendship with all the people around the world. That’s why we choose the running course in the center of ancient capital of the Khmer Empire – The Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom temples complex ( dating from 12th -16th Centuries ).

Runners who participated in the race have enjoyed a unique experience ancient atmosphere on a running road through 13 ancient temples along the beautiful forested course in the cool weather of an early morning in December. Starting and finishing line in front of the Angkor Wat with categories of 21K, 10K and family fun run 3k, all runners have an opportunity to get their beautiful photos of event with Angkor Wat temple (a national symbol, appearing on the Cambodian flag) as special back ground.
http://www.cambodia-events.org/2015/01/ ... -marathon/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

It was a great run with perfect weather. A little too crowded now, with entry numbers 15% from last year. They need to cap the number of participants, I spent the first 5K dodging walkers and people in costumes.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:35 am It was a great run with perfect weather. A little too crowded now, with entry numbers 15% from last year. They need to cap the number of participants, I spent the first 5K dodging walkers and people in costumes.
Lol, I feel your pain about trying to run seriously in the middle of the crowds, but since the money goes to charity, I guess they want as many people as they can get. Maybe they should separate the "fun run" from the more dedicated runners ?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:35 am It was a great run with perfect weather. A little too crowded now, with entry numbers 15% from last year. They need to cap the number of participants, I spent the first 5K dodging walkers and people in costumes.
Lol, I feel your pain about trying to run seriously in the middle of the crowds, but since the money goes to charity, I guess they want as many people as they can get. Maybe they should separate the "fun run" from the more dedicated runners ?
Thai is fair, but then they need to upgrade the facilities. There were pitiful few toilets, picking up the finisher's medal turned into a riot, and the narrow departure chute is an accident waiting to happen.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

hanno wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm
Thai is fair, but then they need to upgrade the facilities. There were pitiful few toilets, picking up the finisher's medal turned into a riot, and the narrow departure chute is an accident waiting to happen.
There seemed to be toilets every few km, so I though there was plenty... Albeit I didn't need to use them so wasn't an issue for me.
The number of toilets at start finish were completely inadequate. I'm guessing some people missed the start because they were in a queue for the lav.

I also saw a foreign runner around 15km point go behind a temple wall for a dump... Was expecting to see this shared virally on FB by now!

I really enjoyed the run. Great weather and beautiful flat course.

Starting in the dark on pretty much unlit roads was a bit risky. I almost turned my ankle after 1km in a pothole.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

There is a speed bump just after the start. As everyone is blinded from the lights, I see peopler crashing there every year.

I do not need toilets wither but I saw 2 port-a-potties with a huge queue of ladies and plenty of men dodging into the forest behind them.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Results:

December 13, 2019
Japanese, Irish top Angkor Wat International Half Marathon
Saeki Makino of Japan and Nic Amhlaoibh Maire of Ireland top their respective categories in the main event of the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon held over the weekend in Siem Reap province.

More than 12,000 runners from 80 plus countries participated in the marathon, which is Cambodia’s biggest and most prestigious running event. Participants came from as far as the United States, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Russia, France, Germany, Netherlands, Philippines, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Italy, and Switzerland.

Last year’s edition of the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon dew more than 10,500 participants.

Makino placed first in the men’s 21km category with a time of 1:07:36. Fabian Downs of Switzerland followed with a time of 1:09:30, while Samuel Fletcher of the US finished third after clocking 1:09:34.

The race between the three, who are known globally for their running prowess, was close throughout, with Makino edging Downs and Fletcher at the finish line.

Makino has won many marathons all over the world, including the Phnom Penh International Half Marathon this year and running competitions in Japan, Taiwan and New Zealand.

Fletcher and Downs are also regulars in the international marathon circuit.

Maire, meanwhile, edged Marina Matsura of Japan to take home the crown in the 21km women’s category with a time of 1:24:55. Matsura placed second after clocking 1:28: 24, while the third place went to Hannah Bocksnick of Canada (1:29:19).

Maire also topped the same race two years ago and finished second last year behind Australia’s Bec Rosel.

Vann Pheara of Cambodia (0:35:12) topped the men’s 10km race, followed by Hiroyuki Miyazaki of Japan (0:35:45) and Sok Chesda of Cambodia (0:37:10).

In the women’s 10km race, the winners were Rosel Bec of Australia (0:38:30), Botum Por of Cambodia (0:46:44) and Taing Sophie of Cambodia (0:49:44).

Sov Cheatola of Cambodia topped the men’s 5km with a time of 0:16:56, followed by Em Moeun of Cambodia (0:19:18) and Chan Leanghak of Cambodia (0:19:23).

In the women’s category of the 5km race, the first place went to Sopheap Koin of Cambodia (0:25:31), followed by Annika Galloway of the US (0:25:59) and Katherine Ortiz of the US (0:26:02).
Khmer Times

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic