The Most Influential Images of All Time

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: The Most Influential Images of All Time

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:14 pm Stern;
Please give us ur list (and not biased on the country ur from) of the 100 Most Influential

Look if ur onto Photographs, 90% of these are very recognizable.
With due respect Richard your request for "my list" is specious.
The views i have expressed tonite in no way require that response.
Expressing a view, or even a criticism, about such a work does not mean that i have to also "do the job myself and see if i can do better". Surely?

I disagree also, that anything like 90% of those photo's are "very recognisable" to the majority of the world's population. Many, for sure - but many not.
Kiwis, poms, europeans (?) have backed that up tonight, from their experience - how many africans, chinese, russians et al have seen even half of them?

But that is not the point anyway - I am saying the are not the world's most influential 100 photos/images.
And yeah, i am also saying they are not representative, ie US-centric.

(nb, nb, not a hint of criticism of USA here, nor of the photographs. Only of TIME's extravagant claims. I happen to place great value on world shattering photographs. Enormous value. That is why i am making my call - BS marketing. imo.)
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:37 pm US-centric
Agree. But it’s normal for US publications. I have seen a map of the world printed in the USA, where the center of the map was Americas. A substantial part of East and SE Asia didn't make it to the map including Thailand. The most funny thing was this map was hanging on a wall in a Thai hotel.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Brody wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:09 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 pm -what is your point? You haven't said anything about that yet.
Yes I have. I was merely pointing out that the arbiters were comprised of an international group of editors.

I never stated whether or not I thought the photos were worthy of being listed as "The Most Influential....."

I called into question the sentiment that TIME was being inherently biased.

You seem to think that they are......they might be and they might not be.
Fair enough, nothing i disagree about here ^^.
I'm trying to find a way to express this "bias" thing a bit less confrontationally...

Sorry but - few people outside the USA would disagree that Americans, generally, tend to see the world thru their own particular american lens. No criticism here, its normal.
But what is most important to americans is not always most important to the majority. Nor the most world changing.

The US is a proud muscular nation, so too are its people. A noble thing.
TIME is very much a part of that tradition - always been at the forefront of chronicling what was The American Century. Not a propaganda tool- but certainly a patriotic flag-waver.

So it is reasonable to expect that TIME would take a muscular patriotic US world view in its publications.
And probably understandable that it truly believes that its "100 most important" is everybody else's "100 most important" too.
Understandable - but mistaken.

No great sin, at all - but it is a very real factor that does need acknowledging here.
Same as the commercially driven over-hype in the tittle and the presentation.

imo, only. -
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Agree its American time magazine stating what " They teamed up with curators, historians, photo editors, and famous photographers around the world for this task."

Yea, theres lots of great shots out there and it must have been very difficult to come up with this 100ot of millions...
I disagree also, that anything like 90% of those photo's are "very recognisable" to the majority of the world's population
I did not say, "the worlds population", I said "Look if ur onto Photographs, 90% of these are very recognizable".

Regardless we can all agree;

they are great photos
time magazine is a US publication and of course is biased to some degree
an international panel chose the photos
Photographs are influential for all of us as to how we see the world and how it affects our views.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

[quote=phuketrichard post_id=383774 time=1576198628 user_id=96]
Agree its American time magazine stating what " [color=#FF0000]They teamed up with curators, historians, photo editors, and famous photographers around the world for this task."[/color]

Yea, theres lots of great shots out there and it must have been very difficult to come up with this 100ot of millions...

[quote]I disagree also, that anything like 90% of those photo's are "very recognisable" to the majority of the world's population[/quote]
I did not say, "the worlds population", I said "Look if ur onto Photographs, 90% of these are very recognizable".

Regardless we can all agree;

they are great photos
time magazine is a US publication and of course is biased to some degree
an international panel chose the photos
Photographs are influential for all of us as to how we see the world and how it affects our views.
[/quote]

Gentle Board readers,
I am finding the bias discussion part of this lovely contribution ironic. I began the comments by "thanking" the OP for allowing me to view and including us on his finding. It helped me to get a bit productive on my sick day. I agreed also there was bias and moved on, yet some of you cannot seem to stop " going at it" with one another. The going at it seems personal not and not constructive, it is what it is, its from Time magazine for Chrissake ?! The only Ali shot is with Sonny Liston not the two more famous international bouts of that period, and there is zero soccer shots etc .... (half joking about my attempt at a comprehensive critique of the bias angle)

of course its biased, they had deadlines and had to make decisions n stuff!?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic