Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by IraHayes »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:28 am
IraHayes wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:01 am Still waiting for her to go to China and lecture them about the fact that they are the worlds largest producer of CO2.
While I agree that climate change is a global problem and requires a global response, just because my neighbour takes a pee off his porch and does not brush his teeth I feel no compulsion to join him. Perhaps the western world/countries that are making an effort to cut C02 emissions should tariff goods from nations that do not. The adage "cutting one's nose off to spite one's face" comes to mind, if we don't start to make a difference because the Chinese don't it won"t matter much in another 20 years when we have crossed the point of no return. I come from the strongest economy on the planet, a land of riches that 90 % of the earth's population dream of, there is no excuse for the current administration to be systematically destroying the framework for environmental protection. The 1% are busy robbing my grandchildren and your grandchildren of their future.
The west has reduced or stabilised emissions of CO2 while China is still increasing.
Until we address the China problem it won’t matter what we do in the West. The truth of the matter is that we in the west are doing our bit... yes some of us are a bit sceptical of the whole affair but as a whole we are trying.

Can we say the same for China?
Why does no one go lecture China on the dangers of global warming/cooling/change? Not just St. Greta, I mean all of them.. you never see any of the Hollywood elite lecturing China... oh wait.. yeah.. they wouldn’t want to risk that new movie being banned from release in China.... hmmm yeah... see where this is going.
Lecture to those that politely listen... the west.
Don’t lecture to those that will throw you In jail and forget about you or that could cost you a ton of money (looking at all those preachy actors)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^^^^

Not just China ryt? India, Pakistan, Bangladesh et al..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

lol
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

President Donald Trump attacked Greta Thunberg after she was named Time’s Person of the Year, saying in a tweet that the award was “ridiculous.”

“So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!” Trump wrote Thursday morning.

Trump was shortlisted for the Time distinction this year and previously won it in 2016, shortly after being elected president.
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:09 pm Image

Trump was shortlisted for the Time distinction this year and previously won it in 2016, shortly after being elected president.
But not for a good reason. Hitler and Stalin were also persons of the year. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

This is doing the rounds on social media....Mona Loser named Painting and Person of the Year

sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 pm This is doing the rounds on social media....Mona Loser named Painting and Person of the Year

Should be "Moan-a"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

She's been giving them an earful at Davos.

Who, FFS, invited her? Anyway, it's a good speech, very well written, short and punchy with some good sound bites, e.g. "It seems that money and growth are our only main concerns" Ouch!

Pity she didn't write it.

Greta Thunberg:

Our house is on fire. I am here to say our house is on fire.

According to the IPCC, we are less than twelve years away from not being able to undo our mistakes. In that time, unprecedented changes in all aspects of society need to have taken place, including a reduction of our CO2 emissions by at least 50%.

And please note that those numbers do not include the aspect of equity, which is absolutely necessary to make the Paris Agreement work on a global scale, nor does it include tipping points or feedback loops like the extremely powerful methane gas released from the thawing Arctic permafrost.

At places like Davos, people like to tell success stories. But their financial success has come with an unthinkable price tag. And on climate change, we have to acknowledge that we have failed. All political movements in their present form have done so, and the media has failed to create broad public awareness. But Homo sapiens have not yet failed.

Yes, we are failing but there is still time to turn everything around. We can still fix this. We still have everything in our own hands. But unless we recognize the overall failures of our current systems we most probably don’t stand a chance.

We are facing a disaster of unspoken sufferings for enormous amounts of people. And now is not the time for speaking politely or focusing on what we can or cannot say. Now is the time to speak clearly.

Solving the climate crisis is the greatest and most complex challenge that Homo sapiens have ever faced. The main solution, however, is so simple that even a small child can understand it. We have to stop our emissions of greenhouse gases. And either we do that or we don’t.

You say nothing in life is black or white, but that is a lie. A very dangerous lie. Either we prevent a 1.5 degree of warming or we don’t. Either we avoid setting off that irreversible chain reaction beyond human control or we don’t. Either we choose to go on as a civilization or we don’t. That is as black or white as it gets. There are no grey areas when it comes to survival.

We all have a choice. We can create transformational action that will safeguard the future living conditions for humankind. Or we can continue with our business as usual, and fail. That is up to you and me.

Some say that we should not engage in activism. Instead we should leave everything to our politicians and just vote for change instead. But what do we do when there is no political will? What do we do when the politics needed are nowhere in sight? Here in Davos, just like everywhere else, everyone is talking about money. It seems that money and growth are our only main concerns.

And since the climate crisis is a crisis that has never once been treated as a crisis, people are simply not aware of the full consequences on our everyday life. People are not aware that there is such a thing as a carbon budget, and just how incredibly small that remaining carbon budget is. And that needs to change today.

No other current challenge can match the importance of establishing a wide public awareness and understanding of our rapidly-disappearing carbon budget that should and must become a new global currency and the very heart of future and present economics.

We are now at a time in history where everyone with any insight of the climate crisis that threatens our civilization and the entire biosphere must speak out in clear language, no matter how uncomfortable and unprofitable that may be. We must change almost everything in our current societies. The bigger your carbon footprint is, the bigger your moral duty. The bigger your platform, the bigger your responsibility.

Adults keep saying, “We owe it to the young people to give them hope.” But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house was on fire.
Because it is.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

personally i dont get her, she is obviously not writing her own speeches and others with much more expertise have been saying the same thing for ages ( sir david is one)
is she merely a pawn in the clmate change game>

good article.

Greta Thunberg Joins a Long List of ‘Indoctrinated’ Child Activists
From civil rights to the labor movement, children were on the front lines — and the fight against climate change needs the same young voices to succeed

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... mp-889557/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm personally i dont get her, she is obviously not writing her own speeches and others with much more expertise have been saying the same thing for ages ( sir david is one)
is she merely a pawn in the clmate change game>

good article.

Greta Thunberg Joins a Long List of ‘Indoctrinated’ Child Activists
From civil rights to the labor movement, children were on the front lines — and the fight against climate change needs the same young voices to succeed

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... mp-889557/
A movement needs a future. What future is there in having a 70-year-old guy speaking for it? I believe the Parkland survivors and Malala Yousafzai, for example, are to be applauded not derided. Millions of Jews died in the concentration camps but Anne Franks would likely be one of the best known. For a teen, it is much more relevant to be led or identify with another teen. I know many on the forum do not believe in climate change or don t care. I think Australia got a bit of a wake-up call recently. Better Greta than a dead Koala as a spokesperson.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic