Health Insurance for Brits

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Scousio
Tourist
Great Britain

Health Insurance for Brits

Post by Scousio »

Hi Guys,

This is a fantastic resource, my wife and I are looking to arrive late Feb 2020 having been before on holidays we are looking to stay long term teaching English, I am mid 50's wife late 40's no ongoing medical issues, what's the best health insurance we should go for? a recent quote online comes out at £1900 for 18 months back packer insurance, surely there are cheaper options out there? advice would be most welcome. :please:
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Re: Health Insurance for Brits

Post by chinesetakeaway »

I use safetywing.com
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I use AG Cambodia as a broker and have an all-singing-all-dancing policy with Globality. My Doctor recommended them.

https://www.agcambodia.com/
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

You could just stay in the UK and use the world's best healthcare service, the NHS. Please simply vote Labour and take your 100% first degree nuclear blast radius burns to the nearest A&E to get patched up. Stay calm, carry on.
:hattip:

(sorry couldn't resist Brit to Brit sarcasm on election day)

Serious answer, our company uses http://www.mshchina.com/ which so far has been good for covering some fees at Royal Phnom Penh hospital (knee MRI scan, etc). Not sure what they charge for individual or couples, but I see a "free quote" button there, so give it a whirl.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Scousio wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:31 am ...18 months back packer insurance...
Don't get travel/backpacker insurance for long term, as you will be living and working here, therefore considered resident of Cambodia you will not be covered by travel insurance policies.

Use it for your first few months to tie you over initially, but once you get here explore options using a local broker.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:39 pm
Scousio wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:31 am ...18 months back packer insurance...
Don't get travel/backpacker insurance for long term, as you will be living and working here, therefore considered resident of Cambodia you will not be covered by travel insurance policies.

Use it for your first few months to tie you over initially, but once you get here explore options using a local broker.
nooooooo way is that right? If you get travelers insurance and after a few months end up on a business visa, your insurance would no longer be valid??
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Depends on your policy...very important to read the fine print.
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:55 pm Depends on your policy...very important to read the fine print.
Indeed it is. Insurance companies didn't become multi-billion [insert currency of choice] valued concerns by selling reasonably priced policies, that people need and want, and then actually paying out on them unless they couldn't weasel out of it. :plus1:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:30 pm You could just stay in the UK and use the world's best healthcare service, the NHS. Please simply vote Labour and take your 100% first degree nuclear blast radius burns to the nearest A&E to get patched up. Stay calm, carry on.
:hattip:

(sorry couldn't resist Brit to Brit sarcasm on election day)

Serious answer, our company uses http://www.mshchina.com/ which so far has been good for covering some fees at Royal Phnom Penh hospital (knee MRI scan, etc). Not sure what they charge for individual or couples, but I see a "free quote" button there, so give it a whirl.
LOOOOser.. vote BoJo!!!

Seriously good advice though..

Can I get insurance? I smoke 40-60 a day and drink 4 cans when i am recovering at home and 10 to 15 cans when i'm out annoying everyone. oh and i get conned by hookers too into sleeping with them when i've had a few.. they say a coffin is about 4k but i suggested to my wife a bbq and keep the change.

mshchina - r u a commie?? do u trust a chinese promise??? :beer3:

prudential surely!!!
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:55 pm Depends on your policy...very important to read the fine print.
especially if you need eye treatment
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic