LEARNER RIDERS

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

LEARNER RIDERS

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I recently purchased a new motorcycle it is a clutch shift and I haven’t had much experience in riding this type of bike before, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good space for someone to practice riding i.e a car park or something similar around Phnom Penh.

Regards,
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: LEARNER RIDERS

Post by phuketrichard »

just curious why you would buy a bike with a clutch if you dont know how to ride it with so many semi and full automatics available?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:29 pm why you would buy a bike with a clutch if you dont know how to ride it
This is your favorite past time phuketrichard.......if you're going to interrogate the poster.....at least throw out a tidbit of useful, on topic advice first......it's the gentlemanly thing to do, no?

OP....You might try Koh Pich on a Sunday morning maybe? Seems to be copious amounts of vacant concrete slabs around there.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:20 pm I recently purchased a new motorcycle it is a clutch shift and I haven’t had much experience in riding this type of bike before, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good space for someone to practice riding i.e a car park or something similar around Phnom Penh.

Regards,
If you can drive a manual car it’s actually a piece of cake with the right bike (I.e. one that won’t kill you in 1st gear ... here’s looking at you Ducati).

Take it to diamond island car parks; if you’re out TK way, head out to the Home Depot type place (forget the name sorry) or Makro around the corner from Aeon2, both have big car parks that are pretty empty.

Even in traffic you’ll get away with some basic 1st to 2nd gear slow rolling to get there, easy if you have ridden a scooter here before.

If you can’t drive manual and you never rode in Cambodia before, you need help. Lots of help.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

As mentioned, Diamond Island (Koh Pich) is your best bet. Get a friend to ride you there if possible, then practice.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:20 pm I recently purchased a new motorcycle it is a clutch shift and I haven’t had much experience in riding this type of bike before, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good space for someone to practice riding i.e a car park or something similar around Phnom Penh.

Regards,
Not sure what capacity your bike is, but if its bigger than 125cc make sure you have a A2 license for it. As an inexperienced "Barang" rider you will be a prime target for police to check your credentials.
philip.smith
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by philip.smith »

Clutch in, revs to 8000, drop the clutch.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:17 am Not sure what capacity your bike is, but if its bigger than 125cc make sure you have a A2 license for it. As an inexperienced "Barang" rider you will be a prime target for police to check your credentials.
And then get some health insurance. Something tells me you are gonna need it.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Best advice given to me was When changing down gears let the clutch out slowly, you don't want to go over the handle bars.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
philip.smith
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by philip.smith »

atst wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am Best advice given to me was When changing down gears let the clutch out slowly, you don't want to go over the handle bars.
How is that even possible? You'd be engine braking to fuck and back but it's not possible to go OTB unless you were coming in wayyyy too hot. Either way, when slowing down you should at least be trying to revmatch as you downshift. Squeezing the tank with your legs should also be done, and would also make falling over less likely
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic