Is there an Electricity Bill Scam going on?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Is there an Electricity Bill Scam going on?

Post by explorer »

Multipox wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:29 am Then it is amazing how many foreigners have actually started businesses here that they continue to run.
Only a small portion make a significant amount of money. Some lose money. Some just cover their costs, or make a small profit.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 am
Multipox wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:29 am Then it is amazing how many foreigners have actually started businesses here that they continue to run.
Only a small portion make a significant amount of money. Some lose money. Some just cover their costs, or make a small profit.
It's often said that more than half of new businesses fail during the first year. According to the Small Business Association (SBA), this isn't necessarily true. The SBA states that only 30% of new businesses fail during the first two years of being open, 50% during the first five years and 66% during the first 10. More than 60 percent of small businesses in Australia close within their first three years.

So Cambodia is pretty much the same as America, 1/2 of new businesses close within 5 years.https://www.fundera.com/blog/what-perce ... esses-fail

In Australia, you have a 1/3 chance of being open after 3 years.
https://insidesmallbusiness.com.au/plan ... hree-years
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 am
Agreed. Its just my opinion, I've always felt that you can be a "little successful" here and fly under the radar. Anything more than that and you can expect problems and soon see it all disappear.

Relating to the original post - $250 electric bill isn't a scam if your running multiple A/C units a few hours a day. Are there landlords charging excess price for electricity? - yes. But its easy enough to find out what the actual price is. Are there folks using the meter to cheat? Likely, and more difficult to detect. Using some common sense should alert anyone to really excessive charges based on what they are doing. Without more information there is no way to claim there is any scam going on.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Post by Bedazzler! »

Multipox wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:40 pm I met couple recently who said their electric bill was $250 and up for the past few months

When they had trouble paying it, they say their landlord locked their apartment up with all their stuff inside, refusing to unlock till they paid up.

I am not making a decision on this yet.

I am wondering if landlords are using electric bills to rip barang tenants off

Anybody know anything about this?

ps. I just checked this website
https://eac.gov.kh/en/

which should have explained the govt side of things in English, but AMAZINGLY the site is no longer reachable.

This is making starting a business or even renting a private apartment in cambo less and less attractive.
What price per kWh did they agree to pay in their lease? and how many kWh are they supposedly using per month?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am So Cambodia is pretty much the same as America
In places like Australia and America, there is rule of law. If someone does something wrong, you can take legal action.

In Cambodia, some people do the wrong thing, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:34 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am So Cambodia is pretty much the same as America
In places like Australia and America, there is rule of law. If someone does something wrong, you can take legal action.

In Cambodia, some people do the wrong thing, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Are you suggesting there is no rule of law in Cambodia or are you suggesting that I personally would not be protected by the rule of law or are you suggesting the rule of law is not up to Australian standards? I strongly suspect any barang opening a business in Cambodia would be aware of the legal practices of that country. 3.1 billion USD was invested in the KOW during 2018 by outside investors. Of course, someone with little capital and no connections run a greater risk.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:43 pm Are you suggesting there is no rule of law in Cambodia or are you suggesting that I personally would not be protected by the rule of law or are you suggesting the rule of law is not up to Australian standards?
I will use an example in Thailand. I know it is not Cambodia. There is a Thai man who has sold units to foreigners for $100,000 each. After receiving the money, he does not give the new owners the title. So they do not own the units. They have each been scammed out of $100,000, and it is unlikely they will ever get their money back. In a country where there is rule of law, they could take legal action against him.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

This thread is getting bifurcated
1) there are people who set up businesses but fail due to their own incompetence
This is normal and happens all over the world, so let's not just retread the usual statistics here.

2) there are scams imposed them from locals
There are scams all over the world but each is unique to its locale, and that is what we are talking about here.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bedazzler! wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:30 pm
Multipox wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:40 pm I met couple recently who said their electric bill was $250 and up for the past few months

When they had trouble paying it, they say their landlord locked their apartment up with all their stuff inside, refusing to unlock till they paid up.

I am not making a decision on this yet.

I am wondering if landlords are using electric bills to rip barang tenants off

Anybody know anything about this?

ps. I just checked this website
https://eac.gov.kh/en/

which should have explained the govt side of things in English, but AMAZINGLY the site is no longer reachable.

This is making starting a business or even renting a private apartment in cambo less and less attractive.
What price per kWh did they agree to pay in their lease? and how many kWh are they supposedly using per month?
Yes^. When you rent a place whether for living or working, you agree on conditions and sign a contract. Electricity is almost always extra, so you should know the price per kw before you sign. If you don't agree with the landlord's electricity prices then arrange to pay the EdC directly, or go elsewhere.
Some expats/tourists don't realise that A/C 24/24 in Cambodia is an expensive luxury and costs a lot more than they would pay at home. So seriously, you need to check this out before you sign a lease. And, of course, check your meter yourself. Some places charge more for electricity, but if you have agreed to their conditions then it's not a scam.
Suggestion: Buy a fan and save the A/C for when it is really hot.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

TWY wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 pm .... But its easy enough to find out what the actual price is. Are there folks using the meter to cheat? Likely, and more difficult to detect. Using some common sense should alert anyone to really excessive charges based on what they are doing. Without more information there is no way to claim there is any scam going on.
Can the meters be rigged by a clever technician?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic