Is there an Electricity Bill Scam going on?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Is there an Electricity Bill Scam going on?

Post by Multipox »

I met couple recently who said their electric bill was $250 and up for the past few months

When they had trouble paying it, they say their landlord locked their apartment up with all their stuff inside, refusing to unlock till they paid up.

I am not making a decision on this yet.

I am wondering if landlords are using electric bills to rip barang tenants off

Anybody know anything about this?

ps. I just checked this website
https://eac.gov.kh/en/

which should have explained the govt side of things in English, but AMAZINGLY the site is no longer reachable.

This is making starting a business or even renting a private apartment in cambo less and less attractive.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is there an Electricity Bill Scam going on?

Post by Spigzy »

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:03 pm Try this one ... https://eac.gov.kh/site/index?lang=en
tnx
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Multipox wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:40 pm
This is making starting a business or even renting a private apartment in cambo less and less attractive.
Cambodia has always been near the top of countries foreigners should not start a business in. An easy thing to research, if more evidence is wanted.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Wait until the rolling blackouts fire up again. Then see the bills double and triple for less usage....MAGIC!
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

"I met couple recently who said their electric bill was $250 and up for the past few months"

How many MONTHS?
A very open issue.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Tarndog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:22 pm
Cambodia has always been near the top of countries foreigners should not start a business in. An easy thing to research, if more evidence is wanted.
Then it is amazing how many foreigners have actually started businesses here that they continue to run.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

dirtymacca wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:39 pm "I met couple recently who said their electric bill was $250 and up for the past few months"

How many MONTHS?
A very open issue.
I only had time to briefly look at a statement by this personl; it looked like at least 2 months.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Multipox wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:30 am
dirtymacca wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:39 pm "I met couple recently who said their electric bill was $250 and up for the past few months"

How many MONTHS?
A very open issue.
I only had time to briefly look at a statement by this personl; it looked like at least 2 months.
You only had the chance to briefly look at some statement by some person claiming some extortionate amount and yet feel to make it public as a possible scam.

Right, while I'm not a fan of EdC (and certainly have my questions about their bills, esp. at blackout times like @Felgerkarb says), I think this OP post belongs in the garbage bin.

BTW, the OP not being able to get from a "404 Not Found" page to an English language version of the website he mentioned is probably indicative of his intellect. Just sayin'.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Multipox wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:29 am
Tarndog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:22 pm
Then it is amazing how many foreigners have actually started businesses here that they continue to run.
For a few years, and for those with deeper pockets who use it as an avenue for free tang, that makes one expensive piece of meat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic