Let’s go to MAKRO

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Let’s go to MAKRO

Post by Freightdog »

By the looks of it, that MAKRO setup is pretty well sorted, facilities wise. However, I'm unlikely EVER to go near a MAKRO again, this side of eternity, unless I happen to be paid a shedload of folding. MAKRO in the UK was a dreadful experience matched only by ASDA (a supermarket chain that caters for uncontrolled troops of sprogs, manhandling anything not generally bolted down) and possibly hollywood's interpretation of what looting might look like without on the spot 'shoot-on-sight'.
Bedlam

A shopping trip to MAKRO- my heart goes out to you.

It reminds me of a former colleague a few years back. He and I had both been invited to china for 10 days, by a company that was hiring for a business jet op that we were both rated for. Beijing, flights and hotel, and food, and expenses paid for 10days. we only needed to be available for company business for 4 of those.
Sightseeing, I said.
Shopping, he replied! Huh?

For someone who had been out of work for several long months, he was eager to go shopping. In Beijing. What does Beijing have to offer for 6 days of shopping? Apparently, the best knock off, counterfeit clothing. High quality counterfeit clothing. $2500 'worth'.

What about the forbidden city, great wall, Tianenmen. He was content to get postcards of all that. he wasn't going to let history and forgotten culture get in the way of shopping. He could always look at the touristy stuff later. As it was, he bombed the interview, failed the medical exam, and then the company cancelled the recruitment anyway. :facepalm:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

My God - let me enlighten you gentlemen where you should be 'shopping' if at all :bow:

Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

An interesting range of reactions to Makro at Sen Sok.

Very recently, a Cambodian brother and sister I know, the sister a law graduate and the brother a final year science university student majoring in Information Technology, both went to Makro at Sen Sok and were much impressed with the Thai quality on offer and as available as "specials" and came away with a number of items for the room they rent, especially in the kitchen area.

So, it is clearly in the eye of the beholder.

Now, if IKEA were to come to Cambodia, then we might see a shake up in the general market place. But with only two stores in affluent Thailand most unlikely in the foreseeable future.

OML
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

The Makro close to Aeon 2 is decent. Certainly nice to find certain items not available or hard to find in Cambodia. Not my first choice, but sometimes they are the only store that has it.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

lol, Mall visits as a great day out.
I'm with you Nuke, not top on my preferred priority list either.

(but it seems we may be in the minority both at home and in some sections of ceo tho')
chuckle
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

Makro is overpriced here in the Kingdom.

Cheese and cayenne pepper were both 2 dollars more than One and One. It's not a lot of money but these are not the only items that are priced much higher than other places.

I'd give it a pass.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

jovial fucher wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm Makro is overpriced here in the Kingdom.

Cheese and cayenne pepper were both 2 dollars more than One and One. It's not a lot of money but these are not the only items that are priced much higher than other places.

I'd give it a pass.
cambodian prices are all over the place
often per-unit prices are even cheaper for smaller quantities (eg 100g cheese $2, 200g $5)
in general you can't judge an outlet by individual prices
though some places are systematically more expensive

monstra mihi bona!
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm
jovial fucher wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 pm Makro is overpriced here in the Kingdom.

I'd give it a pass.
cambodian prices are all over the place
often per-unit prices are even cheaper for smaller quantities (eg 100g cheese $2, 200g $5)
in general you can't judge an outlet by individual prices
though some places are systematically more expensive
I am aware of the broad range of prices here. The cheese was the exact same brand and size. The cayenne was a different brand but the same size, too.

Tables are 40 dollars more here than in Thailand for the same product.

Makro is an over-priced shithole. Give your money to the smaller retailers, I say.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:lol, Mall visits as a great day out.
A great day out is spending happy time with the family.

As the eternal tourist to the KOW, that’s what’s important to me.

Did any one happen see the pre-cut, bagged coconuts? Cute drink looking thing.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:13 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote:lol, Mall visits as a great day out.
A great day out is spending happy time with the family.

As the eternal tourist to the KOW, that’s what’s important to me.

Did any one happen see the pre-cut, bagged coconuts? Cute drink looking thing.
Pre bagged coconuts? if only coconuts came with some kind of natural protective shell, would sure save the unnecessary waste of plastic..... :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic