Foreigner riding a moto not registered in his name

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Re: Foreigner riding a moto not registered in his name

Post by stupid-barang »

Can confirm, I registered a newly imported (not new) Honda in my name. This was a year ago.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

atst wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm Ok go buy it but before you do get the guy to put in writing you can return bike with full refund if you can't
Let us know how you go.
The bike shop just wants a sale they will tell you anything
I would be willing to bet that even if you got that in writing, and you couldn't get it registered in your name, they wouldn't honor it by giving you your money back

Just a hunch.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

My question in the OP wasn't whether a foreigner can get a bike registered in his name, but rather, what would happen IF a foreigner got stopped riding a bike not registered in his own name.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Tarndog wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 am My question in the OP wasn't whether a foreigner can get a bike registered in his name, but rather, what would happen IF a foreigner got stopped riding a bike not registered in his own name.
The answer is nothing, provided the foreigner can produce the reg card..

Without any reg card, they could confiscate the bike, and require the registered owner claims it from impound, or any person that bought the motorbike from the registered owner (and has thumb-stamped bill of sale and copies of the registered owners national ID to prove it) comes to claim it.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:22 am epidemiks your quote -
so unless the law has changed again since 2018 it's still possible on a first registration.

Yes correct, But the moto would not have a plate (It would not display a plate in the shop). Until it was registered in the name of who was going to have the name of ownership. Also if the tax is not paid by whom it would not get registered.
Yes. If it has a plate, its already registered.. If it doesn't have a plate, it's not registered. :stir:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: License replacement after its lost in Cambodia

Post by AndyKK »

Has anyone got anything to add about valid driver's documentation, because I realise most people would do the right thing (more so when in another country) but that is not always that easy. In the time I have been in the country I have always done what is expected regarding laws, I find sometimes it's not easy, not straight forward, being that the laws are aimed at Cambodians, and seem to be incomplete in some ways for forginers, or that some of the authorities don't have the relivent information from other departments, or don't know what is expected of them in the situation of you not being a national. I have experienced over past years doing a lot of leg work in the situation of gaining documents needed, in some cases I would be told I need that of another document first from another department, when arriving and explaining what I require, they know nothing about it. Also we must concider language barriers or translation.
In reflection it's the same situation that atst has recently experienced with going to the police to get signed stamped official documents for use at another department to be told it's not exceptable, now being told he has to get a report from where he resides. But than again it's the same situation, one department official telling you one thing and the next department telling you that of another. In this situation atst had not been given the full information what he needed to do correctly from the first instance not when he went to the police for the document. I am sure after a bit of legwork it will all work out in the end.
But what do you do if you thought you have done everything correctly and you have not received what you had expected, or paid for, and that written by law for the purposes of documentation and legal ownership of your own vehicle.
This goes back three or more years, when you could no longer put a used motorcycle in your own name, but only that of a new or first registered bike, such as a import that had not yet been registered in the country.
So what are the implications and that of your right to having and riding a motorcycle that you can't register in your own name, because it is that of a usd one that has been registered by the person you may have bought it from, and mainly because it is written by law that you cannot. There are lots of speculation from other expats on this subject, one is that you must sell the bike to someone you know and trust, and get that person to register the bike rightfully in their name has owner, then if you have problem with the traffic police on ownership you can contact your Khmer friend, who can tell them he/she has given permission to use the bike. Or maybe like I think that may bring also more implications, and the best answer I have heard from an expat explaining and being in this position, is that you own a bike you now are not allowed to register because now the law says you can't so, so in that respect do nothing.
My problem goes back to buying a new motorcycle and being first registration a foreigner is allowed by law to put that vehicle in he or she's name, and be the legal registered owner, so on buying the new motorcycle I gave what was asked by the seller (shop owner) passport, driving licence. He then took the bike for registration, he returned with the bike, there now was a registration plate on the bike that I am led to believe that the police fix to the bike, and I had also the most important registered card. So these years have gone by, and I was told you are able to scan your registration card, with your smartphone that's what the traffic police do if you might get stopped. So I scan the card, and when I get to the owner of the motorcycle it tells me the owners name MR HONDA.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
@AndyKK - just moved your post to a more relevant topic.

AndyKK wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:44 am So what are the implications and that of your right to having and riding a motorcycle that you can't register in your own name, because it is that of a usd one that has been registered by the person you may have bought it from, and mainly because it is written by law that you cannot. There are lots of speculation from other expats on this subject, one is that you must sell the bike to someone you know and trust, and get that person to register the bike rightfully in their name has owner, then if you have problem with the traffic police on ownership you can contact your Khmer friend, who can tell them he/she has given permission to use the bike. Or maybe like I think that may bring also more implications, and the best answer I have heard from an expat explaining and being in this position, is that you own a bike you now are not allowed to register because now the law says you can't so, so in that respect do nothing.
As far as the implications are concerned, I think it was answered further up this thread. If you have the card (and even if it's not in your name) probably nothing. If you have no card, they could confiscate the moto and only the person on the card could claim it.

AFAIK from what I've heard and read this is not an uncommon situation to not have a card in your name for both khmers and barangs. Of course it's better if you can get it in your name especially if you have an expensive moto. I originally inquired about a new GPX moto and they flatly told me they can't register for barang. OTOH I went to 2 used moto import dealers and they said they could do it for a fee $90-100 and would take a few days and take your passport. If I bought another moto I'd be tempted to just put it in Mrs Cargo's name..easier and cheaper (I think they said $15-25?) and apply in the morning and the plate/card ready in the afternoon they said.

To my knowledge, the original owner of the card has to be present to transfer the registration (even khmer to khmer) so I don't think you could sell the moto to a trusted khmer friend if you have a card that is not in your name.
AndyKK wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:44 am My problem goes back to buying a new motorcycle and being first registration a foreigner is allowed by law to put that vehicle in he or she's name, and be the legal registered owner, so on buying the new motorcycle I gave what was asked by the seller (shop owner) passport, driving licence. He then took the bike for registration, he returned with the bike, there now was a registration plate on the bike that I am led to believe that the police fix to the bike, and I had also the most important registered card. So these years have gone by, and I was told you are able to scan your registration card, with your smartphone that's what the traffic police do if you might get stopped. So I scan the card, and when I get to the owner of the motorcycle it tells me the owners name MR HONDA.
You mean a QR scan on your registration card? Is that a new thing? My card from 2015 doesn't have it. My driving licence does and then I realised that it's got some fake address on it (I originally got my licence in the days when you could get a travel agent to do it).

So it's got Mr Honda on it...what about the picture? Is that yours? Sounds like dodgy dealer not to put your proper name on it..
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:52 pm ^^
@AndyKK - just moved your post
AndyKK wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:44 am My problem goes back to buying a new motorcycle and being first registration a foreigner is allowed by law to put that vehicle in he or she's name, and be the legal registered owner, so on buying the new motorcycle I gave what was asked by the seller (shop owner) passport, driving licence. He then took the bike for registration, he returned with the bike, there now was a registration plate on the bike that I am led to believe that the police fix to the bike, and I had also the most important registered card. So these years have gone by, and I was told you are able to scan your registration card, with your smartphone that's what the traffic police do if you might get stopped. So I scan the card, and when I get to the owner of the motorcycle it tells me the owners name MR HONDA.
You mean a QR scan on your registration card? Is that a new thing? My card from 2015 doesn't have it. My driving licence does and then I realised that it's got some fake address on it (I originally got my licence in the days when you could get a travel agent to do it).

So it's got Mr Honda on it...what about the picture? Is that yours? Sounds like dodgy dealer not to put your proper name on it..
I have checked the (vehicle identification card) once more, and compared it with the card from the last Moto I had bought. Both of the cards are genuine, once scanned with the phone I am straight into the department of ministry and transport, there it gives me the full details of first registration engine and frame numbers, and the owner details. The bike was first registered April 2017 which matches the sales receipt of sale too me along with my name and thumb print. But they never registered me on the card. There are no photos on both of my registration cards, this card for the 125cc is the earliest, the 400cc was first registered 2018.
I have like I said the sales receipt so I am not particularly worried about anything, but it does mean that I thought I was doing the right thing with the changes in law at around the time, and buying new would give me peace of mind, and I thought I had a bike I could take over the border of I wanted to do so, actually I did want to go to the Thailand Motogp, but put it off for another time, but won't be doing it with this bike.
I should have also checked the card when I received it too, but even then, what could I have done! The bike's now registered, and could not be put back in my name because of this.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

atst wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:27 pm No dodgy dealer or the 3 motor registries I just checked another thread the law came out in 2018 I brought my bike in 2017 so my fault bad luck for me sorry for confusing anyone .
yeah when i bought my honda dream in 2017 i had to register in my friends name, the shop did all the monkey work, i came back the next day to pick up the plated bike and paperwork
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 pm
atst wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:27 pm No dodgy dealer or the 3 motor registries I just checked another thread the law came out in 2018 I brought my bike in 2017 so my fault bad luck for me sorry for confusing anyone .
yeah when i bought my honda dream in 2017 i had to register in my friends name, the shop did all the monkey work, i came back the next day to pick up the plated bike and paperwork
Had the shits about it back then but I still got the bike been around most of Cambodia so not worried now had my money's worth
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic