Foreigner riding a moto not registered in his name

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Foreigner riding a moto not registered in his name

Post by Chad Sexington »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:22 pm
atst wrote:Reread my post again it cannot be done, makes sense foreigner cannot register motorcycle and I presume car in their name you need to be a citizen
Not sure why you had trouble, but it's possible. It only applies to bikes already registered, and it does not apply to any other vehicle.
The local Honda dealership told me that new bikes can be registered to foreigners, no problem, but costs an additional 50 bucks.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Ok go buy it but before you do get the guy to put in writing you can return bike with full refund if you can't
Let us know how you go.
The bike shop just wants a sale they will tell you anything
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

atst wrote:Ok go buy it but before you do get the guy to put in writing you can return bike with full refund if you can't
Let us know how you go.
I would have had the dealer organise the registration for me as a condition of the sale.

I did mine long before the change, but I know people who have done it since, so unless the law has changed again since 2018 it's still possible on a first registration.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

atst wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm Ok go buy it but before you do get the guy to put in writing you can return bike with full refund if you can't
Let us know how you go.
As I said in my previous post I bought a new Yamaha from the main dealer and they registered it in my name. They also fast tracked getting the number plate for me. I also dealt with the registration department to get a new registration card again no problem but a bit time consuming

I previously bought a used Honda CBR but it came from Thailand and was not registered. I had no problem registering that here. As long as the bike is not registered you can register it in your own name
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

My bike was brought new from a dealer and needed plates also so that's what happened in my case two years ago,
Cambodia different day different rules, as I said before I was pissed off at the time and will never buy another one
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

atst wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:20 pm My bike was brought new from a dealer and needed plates also so that's what happened in my case two years ago,
Cambodia different day different rules, as I said before I was pissed off at the time and will never buy another one
Sounds like you had a dodgy dealer! I have been here a long time and neither I or any of my acquaintances have had any problem getting bikes registered

The law is foreigners can only register new or imported bikes in their name
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

No dodgy dealer or the 3 motor registries I just checked another thread the law came out in 2018 I brought my bike in 2017 so my fault bad luck for me sorry for confusing anyone .
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm
atst wrote:Ok go buy it but before you do get the guy to put in writing you can return bike with full refund if you can't
Let us know how you go.
I would have had the dealer organise the registration for me as a condition of the sale.

I did mine long before the change, but I know people who have done it since, so unless the law has changed again since 2018 it's still possible on a first registration.
That's where you got me confused! With you saying "It only applies to bikes already registered" that would mean it could not be registered in your name! Because it would be used. When you are applying for the bike in your name it will not have a plate, it will have when it is registered to you, with also the card and sales paper from the dealer with that the import tax will or should be on that paper. That was the other problem in registering, if the tax was paid, or would the agreement, either way be the dealer pay or the buyer.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

AndyKK wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm
Let us know how you go.

That's where you got me confused! With you saying "It only applies to bikes already registered" that would mean it could not be registered in your name! Because it would be used.

Yes, the ban {on foreigners registered 'used' bikes} only applies to bikes already registered.

Used or not, if it is the first registration in Cambodia, that registration can be done by, and in the name of, a foreigner.

When you are applying for the bike in your name it will not have a plate, it will have when it is registered to you, with also the card and sales paper from the dealer with that the import tax will or should be on that paper. That was the other problem in registering, if the tax was paid, or would the agreement, either way be the dealer pay or the buyer.
I'm not following? Import tax needs to be paid prior to registration. It doesn't matter who paid, only that it has been paid.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

epidemiks your quote -
so unless the law has changed again since 2018 it's still possible on a first registration.

Yes correct, But the moto would not have a plate (It would not display a plate in the shop). Until it was registered in the name of who was going to have the name of ownership. Also if the tax is not paid by whom it would not get registered.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic