what about elected MODS?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: what about elected MODS?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I might just add that I reckon CEO is a lot more fun with many new members on board...more new, healthy and interesting discussions.. And long time members can and do help with their wide knowledge and experience. Heck, there's lots of room for banter along the way too. No need for an antagonistic culture.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:22 pm
Been 6 or more other posters i have PM'd with and others mentioning it on threads seem to agree with me,
Sorry to tell you this Richard, but for every one complaining about the heavy-handedness of recent modding, there are at least two, repeat at least 2, who are thanking us (thanking GM actually) for cleaning the place up. There are many members who just don't want ceo to go down the path of other forums.
You can also be assured that members are using the Report Post button more and more now than before. Not all bannings are a result of a moderators whim.

And, those members who keep getting banned are obviously slow learners. :facepalm:
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Someone posted that another members girlfriend is a whore. Seemed obvious that it would be modded, and it was. To go from an obvious mod action to now a mod-vote?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Modding is always about finding good middle ground, and we all try our best. Our only goal is to keep discussions somewhat on topic so that out encourages a good discussion, and a big part of that is making the call when to delete certain posts that will likely derail what could be a great discussion where more than a handful of keyboard warriors find interesting.

Sounds like there's two posts in question here. One was by someone who hasn't posted in a long time, who only came on to tell everyone they won't post again, and another that would have likely pissed off a few, which, given their history, was probably the intent, and we deleted them. I totally get that not everyone agrees with every decision we make, but we still try to make the best possible calls, and it's just for the purpose of keeping things civil and on-topic.

And please, give me a break. Don't act like nobody has ever had issues with any modding decisions until just recently, as that's about as far from the truth as it could be. Sure, we will always be taking in criticism for some modding calls, but I think many would agree it's much better these days then when a lot more was tolerated, which almost certainly turned off quite a few more than would have been ideal. It's probably also fair to say that once you are on our radar as someone who repeatedly and obviously goes out of their way to attack people and piss people off, we are probably quicker to act with said individuals, as we already know their likely intent, and we are trying to do the rest of the community a service by nipping it in the bud.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:24 pm
You can also be assured that members are using the Report Post button more and more now than before. Not all bannings are a result of a moderators whim.
this has been a key factor this year :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

At this moment, there are 10 registrants and 371 guests reading this forum (which, I guess, means General Chatter). That says enough.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^ Yep.
Some of us sometimes write for non-members more than for the members.
I do anyway - especially with info sharing.

But i still love to hate the stupid old, occasionally wise, usually entertaining, dumfenarkle long-termers too.
They keeps us honest - 'best BS detectors for all kinds of crap.

- except when they are full of it themselves...
:mrgreen:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 pm At this moment, there are 10 registrants and 371 guests reading this forum (which, I guess, means General Chatter). That says enough.
You are right, there are a lot of non-members reading the forum. That's a good thing. Some will click and move on, but others will stay around.
Right now:
In total there are 2241 users online :: 95 registered, 9 hidden and 2137 guests
This is a bit off the topic, but I'd like to encourage non-member readers of CEO to join up and post on the forum. There must be something that interests you here, so what you have to say will likely interest others. :friends:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 pm At this moment, there are 10 registrants and 371 guests reading this forum (which, I guess, means General Chatter). That says enough.
You are right, there are a lot of non-members reading the forum. That's a good thing. Some will click and move on, but others will stay around.
Right now:
In total there are 2241 users online :: 95 registered, 9 hidden and 2137 guests
This is a bit off the topic, but I'd like to encourage non-member readers of CEO to join up and post on the forum. There must be something that interests you here, so what you have to say will likely interest others. :friends:
yeah actual posters only account for a small percentage of the actual users of the forums, some people do forget that, there are a large percentage that dont post but still use the forums as a source of info and read
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic