Cambodian traffic bribes video.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodian traffic bribes video.

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Not sure if this has video been posted yet. If so delete this thread.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=ugJw5_1575550930

[media]https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=ugJw5_1575550930[/media]

Sure looks like KOW badges on the shoulder, and the buildings look to be Phnom Penh. Bonus points if anyone knows exactly where this intersection is?

Is this a common (bribing at intersections) thing now?
What, Me worry?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodian traffic bribes video.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

in 2004 i went from Lusaka Zambia to Shiwa Ngandu....Simon, a fine fellow from the region was driving...He loaded up on newspapers, cigarettes, loose tobacco and we headed North....road block after road block he handed out the appropriate bribe... depending on rank I presume.
In Jamaica police would step out of the jungle looking for 'anyting illegal mon' and scare the shit out of you....
i learned the useful lesson....keep your high in your head mon...cause they can't search your brains...
In the USA when I was young you had roads like the famous route 66 that went through small towns.
the speed limit would drop drastically and you would get popped before you could slow down...you would have to either pay the cop in cash or once we had to follow him to the courthouse...at night and put the cash in a lock box...the old speed trap...

paying a few bucks to get down the road is nothing new or unique to Cambodia.

great video...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:58 am Sure looks like KOW badges on the shoulder, and the buildings look to be Phnom Penh.
and he is speaking Khmer.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Traffic "fines" are part of the Cambodian traffic police income. Cambodia is not the only country that functions like this. Some fines are negociable, and there are others that are fixed price (but also negociable.)
On the other hand, did you ever try to bargain your fine with a western traffic cop ? :?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Anchor Moy wrote:On the other hand, did you ever try to bargain your fine with a western traffic cop ? :?
It used to be all relative in the west. Cops are human, too. Go with ‘I’m big and important’ bargaining and the cop will want to stick it to you even more. Be sincerely sorry (or seriously lost), and the cop might just give you a warning and let you go.

Nowadays, cops are being replaced by the damn cameras. Human factor (unfortunately) gone. Ticket is just mailed to your home. There is only pay.
tuktuk
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tuktuk »

Were those 10 dollar bills or ones? Either way it's a lot to pay just to cross the road.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's a system that, from a Khmer point of view, works. Bribes make up a substantial part of a police officers income, meaning the government doesn't have to pay them as much, and as far morals are concerned, if you don't want to pay the bribe / fine, don't break the law.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
tuktuk
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tuktuk »

xandreu wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 pm if you don't want to pay the bribe / fine, don't break the law.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic