Can Cambodians easily visit Japan?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
trDavid
BANNED

Can Cambodians easily visit Japan?

Post by trDavid »

I have accepted that my girlfriend will not be able to get a tourist visa to visit me in the USA.

Plan B is us meeting in Japan next year. This will be easier for me than going back to Cambodia because it's a direct flight from California and a much shorter journey than flying to Cambodia.

Is it realistic that she can get a visa to visit Japan? I do not want to waste time and effort if this is fruitless.

Thank you.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Can Cambodians easily visit Japan?

Post by Queef »

If your girlfriend can't get a visa to visit you in the US, chances are she may not be able to get one to meet you in Japan. Sorry.

You can always try though. Call the Japanese Embassy in PP and do your best. Good luck.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Japan is pushing for more tourists from the region and visas have become easier to get. Thais no longer need a visa at all. So, yes it will be easier than the USA. If she has a job, she can summit evidence of that. If not, you could be named as her sponsor, in which case you would need to supply evidence of your means. For Jagan, you need to submit a very detailed itinerary of your stay. The visa fee is only about $25, it must be paid in riel. You can download the simple form on the Embassy website.
Of course Japan is an expensive destination for hotels and travelling around.
You could also consider Hong Kong, she needs a visa but very easy to get. Or Jeju Island, Korea for which she gets visa free access.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Also consider Macau, where she can get visa on arrival and I believe there are direct flights from PNH by one or more of the Chinese carriers. Or you can go directly to Macau from HKG without going through immigration at HKG.
For all of the destinations that I have mentioned, she may have a hard time at the port of entry if you are not standing there with her. Probably good enough if you are waiting landside where you can receive a call from immigration.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Yes, she can visit Japan. Sign up with a tour company that does Japan tours. They will arrange the VISA with the Japanese embassy. There will an interview (I think).

Afterwards, no need to follow the itinerary.

Japanese VISA is also good for visiting Taiwan too.

Good luck!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I went to Hong Kong when my wife was rejected for USA visa. HK easy visa for her, not sure how the protesters impact holiday plans though.

Unrelated, my wife got a transit visa for Japan. Had to show green card, bank statements, wages proof, itinerary in Japan with hotels booked, etc. That was only for transit visa.
trDavid
BANNED

Post by trDavid »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:12 pm Yes, she can visit Japan. Sign up with a tour company that does Japan tours. They will arrange the VISA with the Japanese embassy. There will an interview (I think).

Good luck!
I'd rather not pay for her to join an expensive tour that she's not going to take. That's not a good use of my money.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Japan is very easy. I know tons of Khmers who have been. If she's travelled before a hot and has money in the bank it's dead easy. Just make sure she has some cash to get name (and hopefully at least a bit of regional travel experience).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

trDavid wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:02 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:12 pm Yes, she can visit Japan. Sign up with a tour company that does Japan tours. They will arrange the VISA with the Japanese embassy. There will an interview (I think).

Good luck!
I'd rather not pay for her to join an expensive tour that she's not going to take. That's not a good use of my money.
No kidding! About 1000usd and up and you might not like the tour itself. Any members here taken the tour route for cheap (relatively) ? to the original poster jeju island looks nice in south Korea . She gets 30 days free no hassle. Round-trip airfare Cambodia not bad and 20usd motels off-season on booking. Com....... For what it's worth Ive Never been to jeju maybe it's a sheet hole but might be an option after looking at it online. Kinda off the western tourist
radar maybe it's a hidden gem
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

trDavid wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:05 pm I have accepted that my girlfriend will not be able to get a tourist visa to visit me in the USA.

Plan B is us meeting in Japan next year. This will be easier for me than going back to Cambodia because it's a direct flight from California and a much shorter journey than flying to Cambodia.

Is it realistic that she can get a visa to visit Japan? I do not want to waste time and effort if this is fruitless.

Thank you.
You could always try for a US visa... my partner and I tried three times and she finally got it on the third time. It does cost $160 each time though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic