Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

Post by phuketrichard »

IN regards other thread concerning thai students...
A new study shows that Thai students are consistently underperforming in the classroom.
According to the 2018 OECD Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) report ─ which measures the ability of 15-year-olds in science, reading and mathematics, Thai students scored below the international average in all three categories.
Regionally, only Indonesia and the Philippines performed worse than Thailand.
However, other ASEAN school systems including Malaysia, Brunei and Singapore all out performed Thailand.
Meanwhile, other Asian school systems featured heavily at the top of the rankings.

China was ranked in 1st place in all three categories, followed by Singapore, which ranked 2nd overall, Macao was in 3rd and Hong Kong in 4th.
Cambodia not listed;

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/113725 ... dVjCySw5nQ
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

Post by Doc67 »

That's a pretty poor showing for Thailand.

It seems their pilots are not very well regarded. This article was taken from the aviation news thread here:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... hai-pilots
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thai students well below global average in reading, science and maths: study

Post by phuketrichard »

imagine where cambodia,laos would come in LOL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am imagine where cambodia,laos would come in LOL
Yeah, I didn't notice them on there. Are they so bad the fell off the bottom of the list?
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I see some schools in PP now have STEM as part of their curriculum. Kudos.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Ouch, the US is lower than I expected....I wonder when that is going to catch up to us....oh wait....too late!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

When shopping in Bangkok I was always surprised at how few Thais spoke English compared to people in service occupations in Phnom Penh.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

willyhilly wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm When shopping in Bangkok I was always surprised at how few Thais spoke English compared to people in service occupations in Phnom Penh.
2+ year old thread;
Thais are to shy to speak english, even if they were English majors in school, for fear of making a mistake
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:59 pm
willyhilly wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm When shopping in Bangkok I was always surprised at how few Thais spoke English compared to people in service occupations in Phnom Penh.
2+ year old thread;
Thais are to shy to speak english, even if they were English majors in school, for fear of making a mistake
I guess that means Cambodians aren't shy to make a mistake then..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 am imagine where cambodia,laos would come in LOL
Imagine if the US and UK came 5 places down from a tiny western European Island? LOL indeed. You should clean up your own shop before criticizing other ones. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic