Photos that show how different travelling was 100 years ago

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Photos that show how different travelling was 100 years ago

Post by Clutch Cargo »

In 1920, the largest passenger aircraft could carry 30 people and one ton of mail.
This plane, designed by Alfred W. Lawson, had a wingspan of 120 feet and flew between 120 and 125 miles per hour.

Passengers boarded planes through small doors at ground level, not enormous terminals and insulated walkways.
A group of passengers boarding a Lufthansa Dornier Komet III plane in 1926.

In the 1920s, airports were more like garages and not the glorified shopping malls they are today.
Charles Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis sits at the Concord, New Hampshire, Airport in July 1927.

Aeroplane passengers used to fly in bow ties and fashionable hats.
Honolulu aviator Martin Jensen and his wife, who was also a pilot, pose for a photo in 1927.

Railroads were a popular mode of transportation in the 1920s.

As with flying, passengers travelled in style.

Blizzards slowed down travel in the 1920s, too.
The Empire State Express in Syracuse during a blizzard in 1924.

By the 1920s, automobiles had been around for a few decades.

Gas stations looked like this.
Lawrence’s Garage in Brixton, London, in 1924.

Tourist buses weren’t always the most reliable form of transportation.
A broken down tourist bus on a road near Tlemcen, Algeria, in 1925.

Cruising in the 1920s was the height of luxury.
The Canadian Pacific liner Duchess of Bedford in 1928.

Cruise ship passengers dressed in tailored suits and spiffy hats.

Dances were a popular social activity on cruise ships.

To relax, they wore one-piece jumpsuit-style bathing suits to swim in cruise ship pools.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/vint ... 0s-2019-12
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Photos that show how different travelling was 100 years ago

Post by xandreu »

I always find it fascinating looking at old pictures like this. I wonder just how different these people were to people today and what they'd make of the world today.

I always imagine life being so much more civilised, more innocent and respectful compared to the world today. Social standards were well established and people knew how to behave and what was expected of them. You could argue that the 'everyone should know their place' attitude was wrong, which in many ways it was, but it was a way of keeping society ordered.

It was also an age of amazing invention and innovation. Imagine seeing The Canadian Pacific liner Duchess of Bedford in 1928 for the first time. It would have blown your mind. To know that something as huge and magnificent as that could be build by human hands. I saw a documentary a while ago about Micheal Faraday's lectures where he first started to demonstrate what electricity could do. We take it all for granted these days but imagine seeing something move on the other side of a room seemingly without any cause for the first time. It would have seemed like witchcraft.

Obviously life was much tougher for the majority of people than it is today, especially the poor, but I still find it all really fascinating.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bit off topic but this pic reminded me how still very popular dance halls were in my parents time after the war.. That's how they met and eventually married. They used to say it was a very effective way of getting to know someone and get a gist of how they felt about you.

Contrast that with how dating is conducted these days..
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xandreu wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:13 pm I always find it fascinating looking at old pictures like this. I wonder just how different these people were to people today and what they'd make of the world today.

I always imagine life being so much more civilised, more innocent and respectful compared to the world today. Social standards were well established and people knew how to behave and what was expected of them. You could argue that the 'everyone should know their place' attitude was wrong, which in many ways it was, but it was a way of keeping society ordered.

Obviously life was much tougher for the majority of people than it is today, especially the poor, but I still find it all really fascinating.
Most of us are not 100 years old, but can remember the old days.

What it was like depends on which country you are talking about.

In places like Asia, a lot of people lived in villages, without most of what we have in the modern world.

In Australia, life was easier. There was very little crime compared to these days. Most people were good people. Life was simpler. Now, there are so many things you have to do. You could work hard and become rich. Now days, the price of all of the essential is going up and up, so a lot of people struggle.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The interior of a commercial plane from Imperial Airways, the first British commercial airline in 1936.

Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

For some people traveling is the same today as it was 100 years ago. The more it changes the more it stays the same.

Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 pm The interior of a commercial plane from Imperial Airways, the first British commercial airline in 1936.

No safety belts? Love it!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^

Actually the seats don't look that different to the outdoor ones at the Riverside restaurants.. :)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

True. See you next week!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:02 am
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:22 pm The interior of a commercial plane from Imperial Airways, the first British commercial airline in 1936.

No safety belts? Love it!
When they stopped for fuel, toilet breaks and refreshments, did they take their chairs with them to sit on for lunch.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic