Should criminals be deported?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Should criminals be deported?

Post by explorer »

Should Cambodians who commit crimes in the US be sent back to Cambodia?

Should Americans who commit crimes in Cambodia be sent back to America?

Should people from any country, who commit crimes in any other country, be sent back to their country of origin?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Should criminals be deported?

Post by Doc67 »

1. I think the deportation of what are effectively American citizens to Cambodia is barbaric. The fault initially lays with their parents who never bothered to obtain citizenship for their children and when the children came of age they themselves failed to apply for citizenship. Maybe they thought they already had it. Then they got into trouble, and that sealed their fate.

However, taking someone who has lived in the US since their first memories, only speak English, have never visited Cambodia and have maintained little or no family connections, and then exile them to this place is one of the nastiest acts of spite and ruthlessness displayed by a civilised country. As far as I am aware they cannot even get a visa to visit family, sometimes even their own children, in the U.S.

2 & 3 Yes.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 am 1. I think the deportation of what are effectively American citizens to Cambodia is barbaric. The fault initially lays with their parents who never bothered to obtain citizenship for their children and when the children came of age they themselves failed to apply for citizenship. Maybe they thought they already had it. Then they got into trouble, and that sealed their fate.

However, taking someone who has lived in the US since their first memories, only speak English, have never visited Cambodia and have maintained little or no family connections, and then exile them to this place is one of the nastiest acts of spite and ruthlessness displayed by a civilised country. As far as I am aware they cannot even get a visa to visit family, sometimes even their own children, in the U.S.

2 & 3 Yes.
Aren't they being deported because they are NOT US citizens?

Though I agree that it's somewhat inhumane (especially when you know that grade A assholes like Brock Turner are getting less than 6months in jail for raping an intoxicated woman behind a dumpster), that's the price of freedom. One is free to do whatever he/ she wants, but one isn't free from facing the consequences of his/her actions. Is it inhumane? Yes, kind of. Is it fair? Yes, kind of.

Criminals (if they aren't citizens or permanent residents of a given country) should be deported once they've been processed, seen a judge, and done their time.

Is it better to be deported to Cambodia or get life without parole in a federal prison?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just cause u have spent 10,15, 25 years in a country does not make you a citizen...

Ignorance is no excuse, no matter how wrong it is to deport them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Meanwhile in many Khmer brains worldwide, with a bit of whitewashing to protect the innocent ...

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I think it should depend on the serious of the offence. I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardise the future of a young person for a minor offence but for serious offence yes. However the person being deported should have a connection with the country they are being deported to not just a accidental connection due to not being correctly registered for citizenship by ther parents. This is not just a US problem but has recently affected families in the UK who's parents were encouraged to emigrate to the UK from the Caribbean in the 1950's but were never registered as citizens.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

The people being deported from the U.S. for crimes are non citizens who have been convicted of a felony. I have sympathy for these people, but I fully support deporting them from the U.S.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

explorer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 am Should Cambodians who commit crimes in the US be sent back to Cambodia?

Should Americans who commit crimes in Cambodia be sent back to America?

Should people from any country, who commit crimes in any other country, be sent back to their country of origin?

Are you talking about being sent back to be tried, convicted and serve their sentence there, or are you talking about them being sent back after having served time in the country they committed the crime?

I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure that UK law says that if you commit the crime on UK soil, you will be tried, convicted (if guilty) and serve your time in a UK jail. It's only upon your release will a decision be made as to whether to send you home or not.

I think we'd all agree that any foreigner who commits serious crimes in Cambodia deserves to serve their time here rather than the relative luxury of a western jail.

But I get it that you're also talking about sending people back to Cambodia who's only links with the country is their parents Cambodian citizenship who did not bothered to register their children as US citizens. Again, in the UK, anyone who has lived legally in the country for more than a certain number of years can apply for citizenship which, based on the fact they've lived there for so long, will almost always be granted automatically. But I'm not sure how that applies to people with a criminal record.

I started writing this post thinking I knew what I was talking about but it's become evident that actually, I don't.

My gut feeling to both questions would be no.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s almost an impossible question to answer comprehensively, once you consider the cultural differences that may be involved.

Are we talking about any crime, or serious crime?
Failing to pay a parking ticket might make one a petty criminal very easily.

What is a Serious crime?
Car theft may be sufficiently serious in one country, while in another, naming a class mascot after a religious figure is blasphemy worthy of stoning to death.

So there are greatly differing perceptions about what is important, serious, criminal, etc.

Unregistered residents
I was involved in a serious debate with a former girlfriend about Passports, Visas and identity some time ago.
Her ‘official’ birthday was linked to what is recorded in her high school graduation records. A lazy teacher (as was hers) may simply fill in one form with all the information including birthday, and photocopy it 30 times. The student fills in their own name. Voila. Your birthday is not what was recorded in the very inadequate birth certificate records.
Now, every visa application to Europe or the states is likely to fail as all the supporting documents fail to corroborate any detail about identity. The whole thing bordering on criminal.
Within South East Asia, this is not (maybe, was not) really an issue with borders being so relaxed for locals. That same rationale does not work in other areas of the world. Especially those countries who find themselves the target of extremists.
But if people from the aforementioned region have already settled in another country many decades earlier and thought nothing more of it, its their children who will now be answering for that oversight, most likely. The goal posts have changed, but the insular thinking within some communities has remained in the past.

That said.
I’m all in favour of tourists and visitors being required to serve an appropriate sentence in the country of their crime for criminal intent. Paedophiles for instance, being incarcerated in a hole in the ground in Cambodia is surely justice served compared to a regulated cell in the UK. However, there’s some justice in deporting a criminal to serve their sentence in their own country, should the local facilities grant a much lower living standard.
They’re unlikely to be rehabilitated, anyway. Once time served, send them back.

But even that runs into issues.
I believe some legal systems disallow extradition or deportation if the deportee is likely to be persecuted on their return to their home country. But if such a person commits crimes elsewhere knowing that this is a safeguard, send ‘em back.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

The problem in the UK was that between 1948 and 1973 people born in what was then British Colonies had the right to live and work in the UK and as this was a legal right did not need or were given any official documentation. Following the introduction of a new policy in 2010 to crack down on illegal immigration a number of these British Citizens started to have problems despite having attend school, worked and paid taxis in the UK all their lives. A simple act of applying for a passport or driving licence or indeed collecting a state pension could trigger an investigation and due to the lack of proof of entry dates threatened with deportation.

Over 80 people were in fact deported and others detained in immigration centers or refused re entry to the UK until following a lot of media coverage the government decided to investigate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic