Cambodia struggles to keep the lights on

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Cambodia struggles to keep the lights on

Post by King Keil »

Wasn't that posted before. Like a week ago.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 am
angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm I know the power cuts last year frustrated lots of people,
Not that long ago. It was only earlier this year.

Was damned annoying being forced to sit in a dark office with no air-con, and no internet, so couldn't do anything. After a few hours, the management would say 'ok you lot may as well go home now'. You arrive home just in time for the power to go off in that section of the city.

Don't worry chaps, Laos is going to send MegaWatts to save the day. :whip:
Aye, in three years....
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 am
Username Taken wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 am Don't worry chaps, Laos is going to send MegaWatts to save the day. :whip:
Aye, in three years....
wait, there's not enough flow for cambodian dams to run at capacity?
and the cunning plan is to add more dams uptream?

monstra mihi bona!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 am
Felgerkarb wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 am
Username Taken wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 am Don't worry chaps, Laos is going to send MegaWatts to save the day. :whip:
Aye, in three years....
wait, there's not enough flow for cambodian dams to run at capacity?
and the cunning plan is to add more dams uptream?
You heard that right.

Let's not forget that China and Cambodia signed an MOU a few years back to build....... Chinese nuclear power plants in Cambodia!!!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Better make sure the new power stations are green (nuclear ok I think). Now the EU proposes a new carbon tariff on goods imported from countries burning too much fossil fuels.

Proposals by the European Union to establish a “carbon border tax” will damage the global community’s willingness to take joint action against climate change, China said on Wednesday. The EU’s new climate commissioner, Frans Timmermans, said in October that research would begin on the new tax, which is aimed at protecting European firms from unfair competition by raising the cost of products from countries that fail to take adequate action against climate change.
(From the South China Morning Post).
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Nuclear is not ok in countries like Cambodia. It takes really well-trained engineers and technicians to operate a nuclear plant. There's none of that here.

What's going to happen to transnational corporations? They will move to developing countries that source a large portion of their electricity from renewable energies? Is it just a move to punish the countries that are siding with China?

Back to the topic, Cambodia should stop thinking about money and SUVs, and actually look for sustainable solutions to truly develop itself. Cheap coal from Indonesia and refurbished coal-fired plants from China (without proper coal-ash processing plants) are not long-term/ sustainable solutions.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I think it all comes down to the fact , that governments like to keep people in the dark.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

angkorjohn2 wrote:I do wonder, for my two cents, if this will be a tipping point for the younger generation. I know the power cuts last year frustrated lots of people, especially with the alleged warped bills that came in three times the normal rate despite having power less than 50% of the time. They have known growth and stability, improved infrastructure but if they are going to be impacted by sleepless nights, uncharged phones, impact on wifi, fans and AC and their business for a second year, whilst seeing the boom in Chinese led construction unaffected by this whether it would lead to any protests?
I've wondered about this as well. I always thought the tipping point (if it ever came) would be eventual economic instability/slowdown à la Marcos and Suharto, but the power/water issues could equally be considered points of frustration and discontent from the masses. If it happens two or three years in a row, it'll be a clear sign to them that things have been badly mismanaged (even though it's a difficult job given the current growth rate and anyone could have messed it up--possibly even more). Still, people get a bit annoyed when you take away their comfort or livelihood. The kids today haven't been through anything the over 35s have. They have zero recollections of no internet, dirt roads, constant power cuts, no malls and so on. Hopefully things don't get worse than last year. No power was definitely annoying, but the lack of water is what I found most upsetting.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 am
angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm I know the power cuts last year frustrated lots of people,
Not that long ago. It was only earlier this year.

Was damned annoying being forced to sit in a dark office with no air-con, and no internet, so couldn't do anything. After a few hours, the management would say 'ok you lot may as well go home now'. You arrive home just in time for the power to go off in that section of the city.

Don't worry chaps, Laos is going to send MegaWatts to save the day. :whip:
Apologies UT, I have tried to block it out my mind and also with the cold snap it felt longer about yes indeed only april-july/august this year (when very bad, odd ones since then.)

The thing is, as always no planning, they ordered that boat power generator from turkey then canceled when it was going to take too long so why not get it here ready for next year. Blaming it on water and dams is not a solution. Stop all construction if you can't meet supply and demand. Last year 700% increase in construction leaving a 40%+ deficit in power, mixed with a very hot hot season which was one of the hottest I've seen in 10 years that I recall (for continually being hot with no break). Let's hope the temperatures are kinder in 2020
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Not sure if this is related but I was up at 5am this morning, a time when I'd never normally experience internet problems, but all three of my internet sources at home, 4G on my phone, the communal internet for the apartment I live and my own private connection (all three different companies) were either not working at all or so incredibly slow to be unusable.

Something that does occasionally happen at peak times in the evening, but never at 5 o'clock in the morning.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic