This really upsets me concerning China

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

This really upsets me concerning China

Post by phuketrichard »

Trump signs bill expressing support for Hong Kong protesters
President Trump signed the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act on Wednesday, reaffirming U.S. support for the city's autonomy after months of pro-democracy protests.
YET in Tibet, monks are still setting themselves on fire against Chinese rule. I guess Tibet is just not important to anyone BUT the Tibetans and wherever the Chinese premier visits in South Asia, ( most recently Nepal and India), Tibetan activists are frequently arrested ahead of his arrival and held in jails with no court and long after the premier has left.
PLUS Tibetans are frequently arrested in china for any kind of pro Tibet movement.

In Nepal it is ILLEGAL to sell free Tibet stickers, free Tibet tee shirts and the Tibetan flag!!!

A Tibetan man named Yonten sets himself on fire in a village in Meruma township, Ngaba (in Chinese, Aba) county, a Tibetan region in the western Chinese province of Sichuan, November 26, 2019.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/tibet/ ... 81135.html

Thats 156 the number of self-immolations by Tibetans since the wave of fiery protests against Chinese rule of their homeland began in 2009.

and the world sits by and does fuck all cause their afraid of angering the Giant :(
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: This really upsets me concerning China

Post by Phnom Poon »

they lifted the one-child policy for han chinese in tibet long before abandoning it throughout china
the policy is to stamp out ethnic culture, and out-breed or overrun them with han

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There may be many areas in the PRC where human rights are concerning. The Uighurs have been getting some attention recently, but there's always that suspicion that they may be aligned with extremists so they don't get much sympathy in the west. The Tibetan issue has been going on for longer but perhaps is more shrouded and so doesn't get reported on much?
If Trump wants to comment on the Hong Kong protests that is his call. Hong Kong is obviously more visible but I'm not sure why the protests are inspiring too much care internationally. Maybe that's because it doesn't seem like a particularly bad place to live, I don't know.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

https://natlib.govt.nz/records/23110282
^^ NZ 2007, Helen Clark felt she had to stage an "accidental meeting at the airport" with the Dalai Lama. FFS
(although the current PM might meet with him. He calls her a living saint - and she's got big balls)

and Aust has a total ban on even cabinet ministers meeting him, exercised last week when an approach was made to meet the environment minister at an international conference in europe (or similar). Nup! FFS
This, from two countries who previously made a point of splashy PM photoshoots with the man - 'cos the people love him!

If the West cannot demonstrate its values on petty shit like this we are shot ducks.
We already are. China knows what we really are prepared to stand for - nothing.

So it seems to me, sometimes/mostly.
But some kickback is starting to kick in too. finally.

PS the Uighurs are just hitting the headlines big time now.
It seems the big powers have chosen this as a bit of a battleground.
But let's see what sacrifices we are prepared to take, and how long the interest lasts.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Dalai Lama says reincarnation can wait, cites own health

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... in/066000c
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

The Dalai Lama has warned there could be two reincarnations

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-03- ... fmredir=sm
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

.....If Trump wants to comment on the Hong Kong protests that is his call
Its not just trump commenting on the protestors, they passed a bill
The Senate on Tuesday passed a bill that compels the government to support Hong Kong pro-democracy activists by requiring it to impose sanctions on Chinese and Hong Kong officials responsible for human rights abuses in the territory.

Would also require the State Department to annually review the special autonomous status it grants Hong Kong in trade considerations. That status is separate from the relationship with mainland China, and a revocation of the status would mean less favorable trade conditions between the United States and Hong Kong.
regarding the next Dali Lama
Tibetan Religious Figures Reject Chinese Role in Dalai Lama Reincarnation
Top Tibetan religious leaders gathered in Dharamsala, India this week have resolved that the choice of successor to the Dalai Lama will be made according to tradition and left to the 84-year-old spiritual leader, with no interference from China.

The Nov 27-29 14th Tibetan Religious Conference convened at the seat of the exiled Tibetan government and produced the special “Dharamsala Declaration” that sets out policy for the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama.
“The authority of decision concerning the way and the manner in which the next reincarnation of the XIV Dalai Lama should appear solely rests with His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama himself,” it said.

No government … will have such authority. If the Government of the People’s Republic of China for political ends chooses a candidate for the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan people will not recognize and respect that candidate,” said the declaration.
HK is gathering attention cause there lots of Foreigners living there and its a big international banking center.
Tibet is nothing to anyone, even thou the CIA was involved there in the 50's
BOTH are "supposed" to be autonomous regions
The Tibet Autonomous Region or Xizang Autonomous Region, called Tibet or Xizang for short, is a province-level autonomous region in southwest China.
Yet it is firmly controlled by China and none of this 1 country 2 systems, the population is being exterminated.
Free Tibet
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Tibet was invaded in the 50s, so it's fair to say that was a while ago and it's not about to change. I remember it being a cause celebre back in the 90s when I was growing up, so it's not like no one cares. What exactly do you want foreign governments to do about it? Demand full independence? A two-nation solution? Greater autonomy? Borders are pretty much cemented now, so you won't see much change. As bad ad itay sound, it's better to focus on places like HK which aren't yet completely under the yolk.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic