Western Man in Fatal Motorbike Crash in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Western Man in Fatal Motorbike Crash in Phnom Penh

Post by Spigzy »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:54 pm
paul.smith wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:54 pm Does anyone know the name of the victim?
The information coming out is he was called Randell "Tex" Penrod and he didn't crash but pulled over feeling unwell and collapsed and was unable to be resuscitated. RIP
Pedantry sorry, but I ride a similar sized bike & there's no way that is "pulled over" and at 300kg or thereabouts it'd take about 3-4 blokes to lift it into that final resting position as seen (but why would you move a parked bike, and worse lay it down instead of using the kick stand?). Looks as though he was unwell on the bike, slowed down & shunted it up & into the mound of dirt there and then collapsed afterwards. No foul play I'd agree & RIP.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

To be more constructive, it seems Mr. Penrod was in Pattaya around 2002, so a longer term expat out this way - perhaps somebody over in Thailand would know him better since Cambo expats don't appear to know him? More particularly also moved in golfing circles there:

http://www.pattayamail.com/478/sports.shtml
IPGC TAGGS Golf from The Haven
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

:facepalm: no
Spigzy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am To be more constructive, it seems Mr. Penrod was in Pattaya around 2002, so a longer term expat out this way - perhaps somebody over in Thailand would know him better since Cambo expats don't appear to know him? More particularly also moved in golfing circles there:

http://www.pattayamail.com/478/sports.shtml
IPGC TAGGS Golf from The Haven

As I understand he was known by many people here, perhaps not forum members and was a well liked guy. Some of the bigger bike riders (BMWs, Harleys) normal MC club members (not rebels!!!!!). And I had heard second hand he was somewhere and left feeling unwell and the eyewitnesses say he pulled up and fell over which perhaps where my post was not accurate.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

paul.smith wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:16 pm Very sad news I knew Tex and he was a fine man who loved his motorbike and I am very sorry to hear he has died. Rip Tex and condolences to the family.
Who ever it is after his possessions fuck off they all belong to his family you greedy little man.
In no way was I attempting to make a claim on any of his assets. However, for a long time, I've always felt that there ought to be some sort of general barang estate legal entity where possessions of foreigners go to in the event of their death. Then an administrator of such entity could sell them and return proceeds to the family overseas, or to specified people, perhaps Khmer, as one had previously directed, assuming such a thing could be done.

A hell of a lot better than the fucking Cambodian police claiming everything for every barang that kicks off here, don't you think?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Tarndog wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:10 pm I've always felt that there ought to be some sort of general barang estate legal entity where possessions of foreigners go to in the event of their death. Then an administrator of such entity could sell them and return proceeds to the family overseas, or to specified people, perhaps Khmer, as one had previously directed, assuming such a thing could be done.

A hell of a lot better than the fucking Cambodian police claiming everything for every barang that kicks off here, don't you think?
You need to rely on the honesty of the people who access the room. Some people will just take anything valuable, then leave what's left to be sorted out. You wont know how much cash was in the room, or if anyone has taken some, or if they took a phone or computer, etc.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic