When there's no water in the Mekong for elec in PP...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

When there's no water in the Mekong for elec in PP...

Post by jovial fucher »

...does the electricity get shut off in Siam Reap or Kampot as well?

Will the power be restored at night like last time we had the power cut?

I'm trying to figure out how to survive the outages and need a generator, a plan, or an escape.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: When there's no water in the Mekong for elec in PP...

Post by atst »

In Kratie now and power been off both afternoons so far
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Need a generator, buy now. If the power cuts start prices will go through the roof.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

jovial fucher wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm ...does the electricity get shut off in Siam Reap or Kampot as well?

Will the power be restored at night like last time we had the power cut?

I'm trying to figure out how to survive the outages and need a generator, a plan, or an escape.
the river is much lower then last year. I dont know if its saved in the dams or what. its hard to get info. they probably dont know themselves. its looking to me like it could be a major disaster. Im certainly keeping the escape option open at this stage
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"don't know themselves"

Ummm
Maybe the dams?
Maybe "increased severe weather events including drought"?

Why does NObody listen to the scientists?
They know exactly WTF is going on and have been talking about it for years.

But glad to hear it has attracted a little curiosity now that everybody's 24hr aircon is threatened.

(and you wonder why Greta and all the other bright bright kids are steaming angry)
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

I'm far too frugal to fork out for AC, but I do want to stay connected to all the happy people.

What would life be like without the entertainment of certain characters you find on forums. :stir:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

thanks for the snap-out-of-it, Jove.
:oops: I needed it

So now that i am in a really good mood i am looking for a really good fight.
:assasin:
jovial fucher
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by jovial fucher »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 am thanks for the snap-out-of-it, Jove.
:oops: I needed it

So now that i am in a really good mood i am looking for a really good fight.
:assasin:
No probs, Stern. Glad I could help. I recommend drinking three beers and looking for a French beggar that likes profanity. :plus1:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Has anyone thought of camel riding trips in all that sand.
"Camel trek the Great Sandy River"
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:21 am "don't know themselves"

Ummm
Maybe the dams?
Maybe "increased severe weather events including drought"?

Why does NObody listen to the scientists?
They know exactly WTF is going on and have been talking about it for years.

But glad to hear it has attracted a little curiosity now that everybody's 24hr aircon is threatened.

(and you wonder why Greta and all the other bright bright kids are steaming angry)
Hmmm climate change?
You are aware, of course, that climate change models for the mekong river basin predict an increase in rainfall not a decrease?

http://www.mrcmekong.org/mekong-basin/climate/
Climate change in the Mekong River Basin

Lower Mekong Basin mean annual rainfall. Source MRC 2010.
Countries in the LMB are among the most vulnerable locations in the world with respect to climate change. While the future impact of climate change is difficult to forecast, projections for the Mekong River Basin for the next 20 to 30 years, based on a downgraded global climate model, are as follows:

Basin-wide temperature increase of 0.79°C, with greater increases in colder catchment areas in the north
Annual precipitation increase of 200 mm (a 13.5% rise)
Increase in dry-season precipitation in northern catchments and decrease in southern catchments
Total annual runoff increase of 21%
Increase in flooding in all parts of the Basin with the greatest impact on downstream catchments of the Mekong River
Climate change is expected to affect natural ecosystems and agriculture throughout the Mekong River Basin, thereby exacerbating the challenges of meeting the increasing demand for resources from growing populations (Hoanh et al. 2003).
So given the models predict an increase the dams must be the problem. Of course there’s an argument to be had that the climate change (let’s not use global warming/cooling as those were proven to be a non-starter already) models are far from accurate and need a serious overhaul.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic