Cambodia struggles to keep the lights on

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Cambodia struggles to keep the lights on

Post by phuketrichard »

Yikes. doesn't look good.
Prime Minister HE warns of new rolling power outages that threaten to short-circuit the economy

Cambodia is racing to prevent a new spate of power outages, similar to the unexpected rolling blackouts suffered earlier this year that caused untold damage to the economy.

Prime Minister HE warned in November that water levels at the country’s hydropower dams are running exceptionally low, driving down power plant production to about one-tenth of their normal output.

The leader has warned urban residents to prepare for more energy shortages during the dry season, typically running from October to April, if water levels do not rise sufficiently. HE had promised residents in June that there would not be power cuts in 2020.

The shortages threaten to short-circuit the economy,
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/12/artic ... lights-on/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia struggles to keep the lights on

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 am Yikes. doesn't look good.
Prime Minister HE warns of new rolling power outages that threaten to short-circuit the economy

Cambodia is racing to prevent a new spate of power outages, similar to the unexpected rolling blackouts suffered earlier this year that caused untold damage to the economy.

Prime Minister HE warned in November that water levels at the country’s hydropower dams are running exceptionally low, driving down power plant production to about one-tenth of their normal output.

The leader has warned urban residents to prepare for more energy shortages during the dry season, typically running from October to April, if water levels do not rise sufficiently. HE had promised residents in June that there would not be power cuts in 2020.

The shortages threaten to short-circuit the economy,
https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/12/artic ... lights-on/
Dreading it... Got a two month trip planned for March and April to avoid the worst, but HE's recent announcement on 7th November said outages could start by the end of the year. It was March this year they began so it looks like we are being prepared for many more months of disruption...

Cambodia will face power shortages again from the end of this year throughout the dry season, Prime Minister HE said on Thursday.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... e-minister
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

'disturbing..

but kinda nice too, with all these phnom penh people shut down
i hope you can find the candles folks, in the dead dark night.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

trying to figure out where the power is down

- Anybody without power please raise your right candle.

- Can Anybody hear me?
- Who farted?!!

- It can be dangerous to play dead, you know - a horny possum might take an interest.

- Somebody giggled. I know you're out there...
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I do wonder, for my two cents, if this will be a tipping point for the younger generation. I know the power cuts last year frustrated lots of people, especially with the alleged warped bills that came in three times the normal rate despite having power less than 50% of the time. They have known growth and stability, improved infrastructure but if they are going to be impacted by sleepless nights, uncharged phones, impact on wifi, fans and AC and their business for a second year, whilst seeing the boom in Chinese led construction unaffected by this whether it would lead to any protests?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Mmm, good point AJ

'hope so
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm I do wonder, for my two cents, if this will be a tipping point for the younger generation. I know the power cuts last year frustrated lots of people, especially with the alleged warped bills that came in three times the normal rate despite having power less than 50% of the time. They have known growth and stability, improved infrastructure but if they are going to be impacted by sleepless nights, uncharged phones, impact on wifi, fans and AC and their business for a second year, whilst seeing the boom in Chinese led construction unaffected by this whether it would lead to any protests?
Increased prices for generators and maybe petrol too
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm I know the power cuts last year frustrated lots of people,
Not that long ago. It was only earlier this year.

Was damned annoying being forced to sit in a dark office with no air-con, and no internet, so couldn't do anything. After a few hours, the management would say 'ok you lot may as well go home now'. You arrive home just in time for the power to go off in that section of the city.

Don't worry chaps, Laos is going to send MegaWatts to save the day. :whip:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 pm 'disturbing..

but kinda nice too, with all these phnom penh people shut down
i hope you can find the candles folks, in the dead dark night.
It was never at night
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic