What and where and how to buy a new scooter?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What and where and how to buy a new scooter?

Post by AndyKK »

Honda Zoomer what she has, and that's certanly a moto that many ladies would want. Why is the question of change come about? Is it because it's too old, or had many mechanical problems. Influence of a friend is always not far away for some. I am not implying that in anyway to your change of moto.
Would you part exchange the old bike for the new one, resale also is not too good, more so if you are a forigner.
To buy new, can't go wrong, especially from Honda. Also with paperwork and plate registered in your own name, that being the law now that only foreigners are only allowed to buy a new bike with the paperwork, that again is not an issue in your case.
I bought a new 2017 Honda, but a Singerpor one for half the price of the so called origanal one in the dealership shop. (There had been the few who said it would not last). I have had very little troble with it too. Also keeping up with regular maintenance work, but then again that is me being tight with the penny's.
To buy your lady the bike she wants I would simply ask her what model she wanted and from where? Then just put my hand in pocket and give her the cash and a little extra for a new helmet and let her get on with it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Can you bargain on the price at the major dealers eg Honda NCX or is it fixed price? Do these take trade-ins on a used bike?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 pm Can you bargain on the price at the major dealers eg Honda NCX or is it fixed price? Do these take trade-ins on a used bike?
No
And
Not sure but I doubt it. As far as I recall there were no used bikes on offer at the Honda dealerships when we bought either of our clicks.. first in 2014 and the second (due to theft) in 2016.
Also, they do our servicing and they the Honda dealer on KampucheaKrom blvd doesn’t even do tyres.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Technically bigger wheels are more stable. I hate these scoots with smallt fat tyres. They are les stable at speed due to the gyroscopic effect of wheels and a nightmare on mud or a dirt road. Bit like old vespas/ the littel wheels make them very manoueverable at slow speed, great for weaving through trafiic but much less stable over 40kph ish and total useless on village road. Sadly most automatics have diddy wheels
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

pczz wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:14 pm Technically bigger wheels are more stable. I hate these scoots with smallt fat tyres. They are les stable at speed due to the gyroscopic effect of wheels and a nightmare on mud or a dirt road. Bit like old vespas/ the littel wheels make them very manoueverable at slow speed, great for weaving through trafiic but much less stable over 40kph ish and total useless on village road. Sadly most automatics have diddy wheels
So .... this one then?
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Some likely reasons for Khmer wanting to buy a new moto.

1) The current moto is all broken already, given the way they they are handled at parking areas. And it's probably not been maintained like it should have been.

2) Their siblings and friends all have new motos, so now she needs one too.

3) They have a barang boyfriend/hubby/sucker who will buy them one, figuring it's easier than teaching them how to take care of the current one.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Well at least when you buy new, you know how many kms it's done.

Buy 2nd hand and you generally have no idea coz when speedo cables fail here they invariably never get replaced.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 pm Well at least when you buy new, you know how many kms it's done.

Buy 2nd hand and you generally have no idea coz when speedo cables fail here they invariably never get replaced.
Speedo cables don't get a chance to fail here. Khmer remove them or diable them soon as they get the moto....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic