Dream soon to be reality!! ... What should I pack???

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Dream soon to be reality!! ... What should I pack???

Post by j57 »

i brought a few favorite kitchen items...cutlery..good knives...it was like going away to College at 59...
take your time finding what you need...it is here.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

If you’re a wet shave man:
Several sets of replacement blades for your razor. The local knockoffs are worth shit.
A facecloth. You won’t find them in budget hotels & guesthouses.
A hand mirror. Many times you’ll find there’s no hot water at the sink, only in the shower.

I always bring a jar of cocktail sauce. Can’t get it locally and there’s a lot of great prawn served tho with nasty dipping sauces imo.

A portable luggage scale if you plan to do some traveling. Always helps to know how much you’re carrying when booking airline tickets.

A tube of decent heavy duty sunblock.

A big supply of your favorite vitamins & a pack of Sudafed (non-drowsy).

Deodorant.

Swiss Army knife or leatherman with bottle opener.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Bloody consumables addicted modern day youth.
When i was boy i learned everything i need to know about living in Cambodia
here >>
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:26 pm If you have a favourite British cheese, bring a few blocks.
Bring a box of real beer thnx.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

pczz wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:20 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:38 pm Western size condoms. :hattip:
Extra small then :stir:
Speaking from experience are we?
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Vincentlennox »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55 pm WELL!! After 3 pain staking years of planning I am finally embarking on the new chapter of my life, Cambodia awaits.

I’m booking my flight for late December / early Jan, I have a few grand in the bank, health insurance and a “reasonable” understanding of the Visa process……

My question is, what are items you would consider HARD to get in Cambodia and worth packing??? I have a laptop to work from, clothes (so not to get charged with indecent exposure) and my passport. Any other requirements I have I’m expecting I can just get in country…

Did anything flag itself as hard to source once you landed in the “kingdom of wonder”?
Smile relax and enjoy. You can find almost anything these days. Supermarkets like Thai Hout have a large selection of foreign treats as well as the new large Angkor Market on Airport Road in Siem Reap> You will love your decision down the road. As with most travel, watch your wallet /phone.
Cheers!
Vincentlennox
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Vincentlennox »

Try looking at "MovetoCambodia" blog. Lina the moderator has a wealth of up to date info. Visas are evolving and subject to change.
The visa you enter with may not be convertible to a long term visa or retirement visa. If just tourist check out https://www.evisa.gov.kh
for safe and reliable government visa web site.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Its been mentioned once but I am going to repeat it... Genuine razor blades. There a fakes galore here of all kinds of stuff and fake razor blades here are priced high like real ones. Why but real ones and make $2 a pack when you can supply fakes and make $8? So they sell the fakes...
There is no such thing as Trading Standards here either so no refund or money back. You pays your money and takes your chance...

If you are bringing decent Kitchen knives then bring a decent sharpener. The ones at the market here are rubbish. You can get them sharpened by some old bloke at the market but that's a pain in the ass.

A spare liver could be useful too.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:32 pm A spare liver could be useful too.
You could probably pick up one of those in SHV though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic