How much do you guys correct your girlfriend's English?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How much do you guys correct your girlfriend's English?

Post by armchairlawyer »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 pm I don't find myself correcting her pronunciation a lot. It's grammar. Like conjugating verbs in the third person singular. I do, you do, we do, they do, he . . . does. Which is a two pronged problem for Cambodian learners because they don't conjugate verbs in Khmer and they don't have "s" sounds at the end of words.

Also, "If everyone understands what I mean when I say "he do" why would you correct me?"

Maybe this is a cultural difference. I think it's important for her not just to be understood, but also to sound professional and polished. Maybe in Khmer people don't judge each other on speaking improper Khmer. In my country, people are judged on speaking bad English.
Well, I admire your ambition! What you are aiming for is certainly the best if you can get her there (but re-read your OP!)
Personally I would be practical and go for the maximum communication from the least effort. What is the point in her learning vocab if people can't understand her when she uses it?
Unless she's going for some highly professional career in your country, I would be happy with effective communication and bugger the grammar etc. I believe people will accept her way of talking and even find it charming.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic