U.S. Treasury Dept. checks

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

I am trying to help a gentleman who is less computer literate than I.
The gentleman is a US citizen & his wife is Khmer.
The SS dept. in Manilla released a sizable check written to his Khmer wife.
Reaon being is they have a child.
They can find no where to deposit the check.

I have read the pevious posts involving the Peoples Bank of Cambodia.
He & wife went to the Kampong Cham main branch only to recieve no help.
My only suggestion was to return with a nice little envelope for the bank manager.

Are there others here who have encountered this obstacle?
Were you able to work through it?

Thanks for any help.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: U.S. Treasury Dept. checks

Post by phuketrichard »

Strange, when i got money from SS for my daughter, it was ONLY a monthly payment an they stopped when she reached 18.
also strange that they would issue a check to her rather than him>>>>Have you seen such check??

Anyway, https://www.cpbebank.com/Home is the bank that SS can wire directly to in Cambodia, have HER open an account there..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

That is the bank in question. I named it incorrectly. The reason it is a large check is there was hold up due to paper work. 2 1/2 years hold up. I have no idea why the check was issued to wife. But it is.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Thanks for the input Richared but I wonder if things have changed.
Just to be perfectly clear. Have you opened an account there?
Thanks.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Rephrasing a previous query.

Are any of you US expats using Cambodia Peoples Bank in Phnom Pehn to receive there USA treasury checks via direct deposit frm Manilla?
Thanks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Luigi wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm Rephrasing a previous query.

Are any of you US expats using Cambodia Peoples Bank in Phnom Pehn to receive there USA treasury checks via direct deposit frm Manilla?
Thanks.
Taa receives his direct deposit for SS to this bank and am sure there others.
it is not a check but direct wire from the states, NOT manila which is only where you file ur paperwork for SS if you reside in se asia.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

OK. Thanks for that Richard.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Richard what is Taa?
Thanks.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

when you apply there is a wait period to see if you qualify..If your application is approved, they go back and set a date for your benefits to begin...I think the month of your birth. You receive a large back pay check, then your monthly allotment after that.
Direct deposit only now...not sure about first payment.
They will issue to your bank or they have a debit card system for those who do not have a bank account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Luigi wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 pm Richard what is Taa?
Thanks.
he is one of the older posters here Taabarang
when you apply there is a wait period to see if you qualify..If your application is approved, they go back and set a date for your benefits to begin...I think the month of your birth. You receive a large back pay check, then your monthly allotment after that.
never knew that,

I got my first check the month after i turned 62, also got a check the next month,( for 2 months) for my daughter which continued till she was 18
ur ss starts the month after you turn 62, 65 or 70 (you choose when to start taking it)
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic