Star Ratings on Google, Agoda etc

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: Star Ratings on Google, Agoda etc

Post by Nicolas »

phuketrichard wrote:
Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
NitNoi wrote:I posted a review on Google with three stars. The owner replied "Where did we loose the stars"?

For me, three stars means "met expectations" while for stars means "better than expected" and five stars are reserved for somewhere extraordinary.

It seems I am out of step. It seems I should give five stars by default unless there was a problem - but this doesn't seperate the great places from the ordinary.

If you bother to give reviews, how do you award stars?
People are working hard in the service, food & beverage and hospitality industry. If the restaurant met your expectations you can thank them back with a 5 stars. Lesser than that is saying they failed.
3 stars out if 5 means you left disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1,000% disagree,
as first stated; 3 stars it was ok, 4 stars, yep very good and would recommend to others,
5 stars, Wow, beyond expectations.
When i write reviews, which is seldom, if i give them 3 stars, i always put in my comments what could be done to improve the establishment.

Giving a restaurant or hotel room 5 stars and it only met your expectations, makes the star system meaningless
You don’t go back to a 3 stars, it was “ok” but they lost your business and you are not recommending them.

4 stars was good, but something was missing for you to fully enjoy your experience.

5 stars totally met or exceeded your expectations. You got what you came for.

See this like taking Uber or Grab: the taxi is quick to come, driver is polite and brings you nicely from A to B. No issues. 5 stars.
Did he opened your door with white gloves and offer you a Evian bottle of water and cookies? Still 5 stars.

Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Kammekor wrote:
Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 am
NitNoi wrote:I posted a review on Google with three stars. The owner replied "Where did we loose the stars"?

For me, three stars means "met expectations" while for stars means "better than expected" and five stars are reserved for somewhere extraordinary.

It seems I am out of step. It seems I should give five stars by default unless there was a problem - but this doesn't seperate the great places from the ordinary.

If you bother to give reviews, how do you award stars?
People are working hard in the service, food & beverage and hospitality industry. If the restaurant met your expectations you can thank them back with a 5 stars. Lesser than that is saying they failed.
3 stars out if 5 means you left disappointed.

So if a decent meal is five stars, how many stars for a great meal?
It would be easier if we could go up to 10 stars to make a difference between meeting expectations and exceeding them.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

One of the problems with customers writing reviews is that they may only stay at one hotel in any given city. This means their basis for the review is based on hotels, they have stayed at, in other cities and worse, other countries. They are comparing apples to oranges as there are a ton of factors that will affect what a hotel provides in the way of service etc and price.
Also, people who would usually stay in a more expensive hotel will often write a poor review when they stay at a more budget place. Simply because their preconceived ideas of what to expect (based on their previous stays at more luxury places) will not be met.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Three stars is average. Even the ratings tell you this when you hover over it, that or ok or a sort of flat, half smile thing. Two stars not great, one is terrible. Four stars good, five the best. Depends on what you are doing, if it's Uber, you were reasonably friendly and got me there without driving like a maniac then I'll give five stars. It's hard to rate driving incrementally, you're either shit or not. With hotels and restaurants there are so many components. make your complaints/praise clear in the review. Then others can see if you're a dick or not and whether to believe you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...See this like taking Uber or Grab: the taxi is quick to come, driver is polite and brings you nicely from A to B. No issues. 5 stars.
he just did his job, why would he rate 5 stars?

Really cant rate taxi' other than he got you there without an accident to -1 star, he got lost and you had to direct him, he kept trying to get you to detour to massage shop and he didn't have change for the $10 bill.

3 star hotel fit the needs, no more...no less and was priced right
You don’t go back to a 3 stars, it was “ok” but they lost your business and you are not recommending them.
Yea, you do if its the best hotel in town LOL
One of the problems with customers writing reviews is that they may only stay at one hotel in any given city. This means their basis for the review is based on hotels, they have stayed at,
HUH" :facepalm: doesn't that go without saying? I mean you cant rate a hotel unless you stayed there and 1 hotels rating has nothing to do with another.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

I only put 5 stars when they pay me or at least give a gift ! The ones who refuse get only 1 star and a very bad review.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

The stars system is fucked for all review websites, not only due to rigging and skullduggery but also because 5 stars has become the norm for satisfactory. I'd hazard that the average young to mid-30s identifies 5 stars as obligatory for expected without any issues, 4 would be a slight fall from grace but 3 would mean improvement needed/not as expected, when in reality 3 stars should be satisfactory for the price and what you received, 4 would be a boost due to a certain something and 5 should scream AMAZING!

Some sites don't even allow reviewers to leave less than 2/5 or 3/10.. I've even had reviews not be approved on Agoda due to my low low rating (The room was different from pictured, hadn't been modified since 1960, stunk of smoke and had toenail clippings on the carpet by the bed, not to mention a few other things that earned it a "fuck it keep your money I'm checking out immediately" award.

Put a system in place and you'll be certain people look to game it.

Older generations no doubt adhere to the 3/4/5 I mentioned earlier, perhaps an algorithm would be useful to present a realistic number based on a few criteria. If the reviewer is over 50 then the 3 is more like a 4, if the reviewer is under 35 then the 5 is more like a 4. Thank you for listening, if anyone steals my idea there will be a moida.

p.s For the young to mid-30s I'd say the 5 as satisfactory is more for products purchased, when it comes hotel rooms perhaps the same but maybe less so (4.5 - give me some wiggleroom). Whatever get on with the karate.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic