Swiss DANIEL JEAN-PIERRE BEBEY is Detained After Trying to Jump off Chroy Changvar Bridge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Swiss DANIEL JEAN-PIERRE BEBEY is Detained After Trying to Jump off Chroy Changvar Bridge

Post by explorer »

Arget wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 pm How could he get caught. If he was fair dinkum he would walk across, stop, climb over the rails and jump. Who could stop you?
My guess is he did not really want to jump.
For the non-Australians, fair dinkum means really true. In this case, really serious.

For the Australians, fair dinkum is Australian slang, that most people from other countries don't understand.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Swiss DANIEL JEAN-PIERRE BEBEY is Detained After Trying to Jump off Chroy Changvar Bridge

Post by xandreu »

I always assumed fair dinkum for an Aussie was the same as Fair Enough for a Brit?

Meaning, you don't have a strong opinion either way on what someone just said to you.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
deviantinfamous
Expatriate
Finland

Post by deviantinfamous »

Wish there were more details on how he got caught
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 pm How many of these people have used drugs, and it has messed with their brain?
Australia has a suicide rate of 12.7 whilst Cambodia has a suicide rate of 11.9 (2015)
White males over the age of 45 are the fastest-growing segment of suicides.
White males make up 70% of all suicides in America.
7.2% of males 45+ use illegal drugs while 29.1 % of males aged 18 to 21 use illegal drugs.
Depression is not caused by drugs messing up your brain, it is a treatable disease.
Far more aged 45+ abuse alcohol than drugs.
Loneliness and feeling of having nothing to contribute to society are far bigger influences in the decision to commit suicide than illegal drug use are.
Archaic theories that suicide is the result of drug abuse are repugnant and shameful.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 pm I always assumed fair dinkum for an Aussie was the same as Fair Enough for a Brit?

Meaning, you don't have a strong opinion either way on what someone just said to you.
No. It means really true.

It is most often used as a statement. (It's) really true. It can be used as a question. (Is it) really true?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:53 pm
xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 pm I always assumed fair dinkum for an Aussie was the same as Fair Enough for a Brit?

No. It means really true.

It is most often used as a statement. (It's) really true. It can be used as a question. (Is it) really true?
I would take all these posts with a pinch of salt. He generally seems to post very inaccurate "information" and lies when questioned about it.
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:32 pm not sure what Explorer is trying to get at by saying it doesnt mean the word fuck
I didn't say that.
You certainly did, at around 10.00 am this morning.
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:58 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!”
No
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it said: Is it the same meaning as english “..ok!” When I read things in a hurry, even I make mistakes.
general-chatter/the-concept-bad-language-t33353-50.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham

You obviously don't know what fair dinkum means.

If you did, you wouldn't write such rubbish.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You obviously don't understand what Joy My means. If you spent more time outside of that isolated village you live in you would understand a little. You are like the frog at the bottom of the well. An expert on the well but with absolutely no understanding of what goes on in the wide world.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

But he is correct on fair dinkum

As well as "true", it can also mean serious or genuine
As in
"Are you fair dinkum about this?" - are you serious about this?
"He is a fair dinkum bloke" - genuine, having integrity

The original usage on this thread "If he was fair dinkum he would walk across.."
= "If he was genuine about it he would have..."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic