The concept of bad language

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The concept of bad language

Post by xandreu »

I can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but as a response to the original post, I'm really, really uncomfortable with children swearing.

I'm not sure why, you could say that they're only words at the end of the day, but actually, they're not. All words, all vocabulary reflects the mindset of the person using it. You're choice of vocabulary reflects who you are as a person, even as adults. Listening to a child swear is like listening to a child who's lost a little bit of their innocence.

I see videos on FB or YouTube of kids swearing, with comments saying that's funny, but it literally makes me shudder.

Depending on the context, swearing can be both a lazy way of communicating, when people have such a limited vocabulary that that's all they can think of to say, but used in the right way, it can also be a very intellectual way of communicating.

But it's not something kids should be learning or using. As an example, "Fuck you" is not just a couple of words. It conveys an attitude. It demonstrates a way of thinking that displays arrogance, one-up-manship and a complete disrespect for the person you're saying it to.

Kids should not be learning these types of behaviors.

Not my kids anyway.

(If I had any)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:32 pm not sure what Explorer is trying to get at by saying it doesnt mean the word fuck
I didn't say that.

I am aware that a lot of people read this forum. I try not to share anything which may have a negative influence. There will be foreigners in Cambodia who start using this word after reading this. I know there is a positive and a negative. Some just want to understand. Anyone who learns Khmer should learn. So this post is teaching those who don't learn Khmer.

There are things I don't discuss. For example, someone locked their keys in a place where they could not retrieve them. I wont say where. We were successfully able to retrieve the keys. I wont say how. If I posted this information, thieves would be glad to learn. So I don't discuss it.

There are some things I have learnt from friends in Cambodia which I have never heard discussed on this forum, or on TV, or on the internet. Only those involved seem know about them. I don't discuss them here. I will probably carry some secrets to the grave.

It is nice you are using the letter j. In the past you sometimes used ch where I used j.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:38 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 am But then they may have names that may not be appropriate if they spoke English. For example, I don't know if you remember Dum Rida who got killed in an accident. Her mother should have learnt English before she named her.
Yeah right, so khmers living in their own country should check english, chinese, russian, spanish et al pronunciation before naming their kids? An arrogant and demeaning comment to make imo.
explorer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:30 pm I suggest people learn Khmer properly. When you speak Khmer, you will hear what they say. The good, the bad, the ugly and the stupid.
You've given 1 positive reason and 3 negative ones to learn khmer. Hmmmm....
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:52 am Look at the way they drive.

Look at the way they throw rubbish everywhere.
I said in another thread I think you could take your western hat off more often coz this type of thinking where you compare western values and standards to a developing Asian country smacks of hypocrisy in my book. It must be depressing I think for one to constantly be doing this comparison and identifying all the ways the khmers and Cambodia doesn't come up to scratch.. It must be sad and disheartening to see these differences with a view to expectations that khmers should be better. That must lead to anxiety and unhappiness to have that viewpoint notwithstanding that I read that you are helping some families with education.

I wonder too whether that makes it difficult to live here if one has that sort of mindset. Yes, I sometimes have a 'bad' day where I get frustrated with living here for a variety of reasons and then later, in a better mood, I think of all the advantages of living here and how generally good natured khmers are and friendly to foreigners being here and think I'm lucky to be here. I guess it's all a question of viewpoint..
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:34 am One thing Cambodians do a lot, is talk about people. If one doesn't like you, all of their friends wont like you. So you may not have any friends.
As others have said, I don't see how this is any different than elsewhere.
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 am A lot of things we consider unacceptable, Cambodians consider acceptable.

Many Cambodians burn rubbish, including plastic. In the West we wouldn't do that.

Cambodians don't care. They burn when they feel like burning. It is often a time of the day when a lot of people are around, and have to breathe the smoke. They just do what they feel like. They don't think about others.
Again, comparing with the west...do the differences need to be stated? Unless you feel comparing Cambodia with the west is like apples and apples..

Khmers don't think and care about others you say? See the next point..
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:03 pm Cambodian friends often care about each other a lot. They share their food, and help each other when the need arises. If you make friends with good Cambodian people, they will be really good friends.
Disputing the earlier point above?

Last week some members were challenging you with regards to the disparaging attitude to khmers... Based on this thread alone...I have to say I concur. As I said before in another thread and to summarise.. 'this is Asia'. If one can't adapt to the environment and resorts to undue criticism then I think they are not being realistic.
You have quoted some things out of context.

So I am not wrong. You just think I shouldn't say it.

I like to have a good understanding of the people and the situation. I think some others do too. That way, whatever situation they are in, they are able to handle it better.

For example, wait until someone burns plastic, and you have to breathe the smoke. What do you do? Go and tell them not to, and they think you are the one with the problem. Cambodians don't complain about burning plastic. The better you understand the situation, the better the approach you take.

I had a situation where I did a little voluntary English teaching in one of the smaller places where many people are quite poor. The entrance to the place would turn to mud when it rained. If nothing was done, someone was going to fall off a motorbike or bicycle in the mud. I bought a load of gravel, and working with them, put it where the mud was. They were all very happy they didn't have to ride through the mud any more. They also had a pile of rubbish at the back of the place. I told them they could get rubbish collected for four of five dollars a month. The response was, they would burn it. I know they didn't want to spend money, so I left it at that. I came to teach English a couple of days later, and the place was full of smoke. I said this is not acceptable. I was told it doesn't matter. I made it quite clear it does matter. I told them to only burn on Sunday when nobody was there. There are times when you need to speak up. When you understand the culture, you are able to handle it better. I also had some influence because I assisted them with small donations. In the future, they will probably not have a pile of rubbish at the back, and not burn off when people are around.

Then when I give money to those not so well off, the better I understand the situation, the better I can use my money. This has been a learning curve. What I will do in the future will not be the same as I did in the early years.

If you want to put a positive spin on everything, that is OK. There are others who want to do that too. But if you really want to have a good understanding, you need to have honest discussion.
Last edited by explorer on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:32 pm not sure what Explorer is trying to get at by saying it doesnt mean the word fuck
I didn't say that.
You certainly did, at around 10.00 am this morning.
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:58 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!”
No
You refused to answer any questions asking for clarification on what it did mean, instead preferring your usual tactic of disparaging posters you know little about with the condescending:
I am amazed how many people live in the country but don't learn the language.
You don't understand Cambodian culture.
Learn Khmer, and spend time with Cambodian people, things will become clearer.
To really get it, you need to spend a lot of time with Cambodian people in their environment, or have a thousand examples.
I'm sure you'll reply by saying I misquoted you, took you out of context or that I'm stupid and don't understand Cambodia.
Guess what? Many of us have spent far more time in this country with Cambodians and know a lot more about it than you.
Stop acting like some smart-ass 18 year old, it's embarrassing.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

In Kampot a British backpacker hippy lookalike was swearing at every other word he uttered answer so did this ugly brit girl he was talking to. This was at a cafe.
I almost told them to stop but could not be bothered
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 pm
I didn't say that.
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!”
No
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it said: Is it the same meaning as english “..ok!” When I read things in a hurry, even I make mistakes.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:38 pm In Kampot a British backpacker hippy lookalike was swearing at every other word he uttered answer so did this ugly brit girl he was talking to. This was at a cafe.
I almost told them to stop but could not be bothered
It depends on the way it's done, but I noticed Thais can get very upset if they hear swearing. I've never noticed it as much here but I'm mostly polite in public or work. If I'm having a few beers with friends there can be quite a bit of swearing but not what I would call cursing.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 pm
I didn't say that.
No
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it said: Is it the same meaning as english “..ok!” When I read things in a hurry, even I make mistakes.

And I'm not buying that excuse either, that's some ridiculous backtracking.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:54 pm Image

And I'm not buying that excuse either, that's some ridiculous backtracking.
It is about sharing information, so we can all learn from each other.

It is sad you think it is a competition where some people lose.

I apologise for making a mistake, and you can't accept my apology.

Someone who has lived in Cambodia for 20 years should be the first to answer a question about the language. The fact that you have not learnt the language says a lot about you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:26 pm The fact that you have not learnt the language says a lot about you.
Oh dear.

hunter8 wrote:Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!”
explorer wrote:Sorry, my mistake. I thought it said: Is it the same meaning as english “..ok!” When I read things in a hurry, even I make mistakes.
It was a thread about bad language so the fact that you think we are all stupid enough to buy that sorry lie says a lot about you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic