How/Where can I volunteer to help locals?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

How/Where can I volunteer to help locals?

Post by Ravensnest »

I'm not rich and need to work here for a living, so cash is not an option. I'd still like to do something positive for the community or even the sick or needy children.

Where can I go to volunteer my time somewhere for a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday?

ty
Still here, in country...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How/Where can I volunteer to help locals?

Post by explorer »

Let everyone know where you are. Are you in Phnom Penh, or another place?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There are many charities and NGO's here that help children, a quick Google search will give you the names and contact details that you need.

However, bear in mind that most, if not all of these organisations have very strict criteria before they will even allow you near children, for reasons I'm sure you understand and I don't need to explain.

You can't just turn up, tell them you have a few hours to spare to help sick and needy children and expect to be taken on based simply on that. I'm not for one moment suggesting that you have ulterior motives, there are many westerners who see the poverty and hardships that Cambodians (not just children) have to live with and have an honest and genuine desire to do something to help.

But you must also understand that there are some who come here on that pretense, who have other motives. Charities and NGO's are well aware of this, and rightly so.

Any NGO or charity worth it's salt will expect you to meet a strict criteria before taking you on.

Assuming that your motives are honest, genuine and based on nothing more than altruism, good luck.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

which locals do you think need help, and what can you help them with?

monstra mihi bona!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:36 pm Let everyone know where you are. Are you in Phnom Penh, or another place?
I thought i included that! lol yes, Phnom Penh
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:40 pm There are many charities and NGO's here that help children, a quick Google search will give you the names and contact details that you need.

However, bear in mind that most, if not all of these organisations have very strict criteria before they will even allow you near children, for reasons I'm sure you understand and I don't need to explain.

You can't just turn up, tell them you have a few hours to spare to help sick and needy children and expect to be taken on based simply on that. I'm not for one moment suggesting that you have ulterior motives, there are many westerners who see the poverty and hardships that Cambodians (not just children) have to live with and have an honest and genuine desire to do something to help.

But you must also understand that there are some who come here on that pretense, who have other motives. Charities and NGO's are well aware of this, and rightly so.

Any NGO or charity worth it's salt will expect you to meet a strict criteria before taking you on.

Assuming that your motives are honest, genuine and based on nothing more than altruism, good luck.
Thanks for the info, I'm aware of most that you said. Yes, preventative measures must be in place to protect children.
I'm happy to help any age group of course. I can help cook, serve food, deliver it/hand it out, or something similar. I'm not familiar with a single NGO. So, I would not know which are good and which to shy away from. That is why I'm posting here.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

You don’t need middlemen. Work additional hours on your job and donate that extra money into the hands of the poor one dollar at a time.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There are some respected organizations that might be interested, but mainly if you have decent skills to donate. For example, if you're good at Accountancy, Marketing, Graphics, Management, IT or a skilled tradesman there are opportunities.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Talk with Ross at
https://choice-cambodia.org/blog/

they have come along way from passing out food at the dump
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic