Three Foreigners Arrested for Bashing German Outside Siem Reap Bar

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Three Foreigners Arrested for Bashing German Outside Siem Reap Bar

Post by Doc67 »

It makes me think there is a potential scam here.

Some drunken loser with no money finds a expat who he knows is cashed up (you). He starts a stupid argument which develops into him throwing the first punch and then deliberately and conspicuously loses said fight. Add a couple of convenient witness' who blame you.

Unless you are a devout Christian with full 'turn the other cheek' credentials, who wouldn't hit back in self defence? And someone who just stands there like a punchbag would prove an irresistible target especially after he has already thrown the first punch. And then you find yourself in the clutches of the Khmer legal system with profiteers all around you.

All concepts of self defence and a reasonable and proportionate response are out of the window here. It seems that no matter what provocation you endure, if you win the fight and the 'victim' is injured, you up for arrest and extortion.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:21 am It makes me think there is a potential scam here.

Some drunken loser with no money finds a expat who he knows is cashed up (you). He starts a stupid argument which develops into him throwing the first punch and then deliberately and conspicuously loses said fight. Add a couple of convenient witness' who blame you.

Unless you are a devout Christian with full 'turn the other cheek' credentials, who wouldn't hit back in self defence? And someone who just stands there like a punchbag would prove an irresistible target especially after he has already thrown the first punch. And then you find yourself in the clutches of the Khmer legal system with profiteers all around you.

All concepts of self defence and a reasonable and proportionate response are out of the window here. It seems that no matter what provocation you endure, if you win the fight and the 'victim' is injured, you up for arrest and extortion.
Simple,really: don’t go to Soksan Road and don’t hang out with alcoholic foreign losers.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 pm
hanno wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 pm
PhnomRon wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:41 pm The victim is not a tourist, he is Mario Maehlmeyer, founder of Centurion Consulting in Siem Reap, providing business consulting and skills training.

Why in the world would a Serb, a Slovak, and an Indian gang up to break his leg?
Read the original article: “drunken brawl”.
Looks like the German guy got a glass shoved in his mouth. That's mean fighting that you wouldn't expect from a Siem Reap hotel manager and his friends.
Nice crowd hanging out in SR these days. :plus1: Just saying that because I'm in Sihanoukville.
Well watch it when a chinese, a chines and a chinese walk into the bar then :stir:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Me, The Man, walks into a bar..

blather
blather
blather

two hours later..
Me, The Victim, is in gaol/hospital/on CEO wingeing
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Arget wrote:Like carrying a gun, if you are not going to use it .... don't carry it. =@
Unlike police use, the gun is a last resort.

First is not being out at 2 am. Nothing good happens at that time.

Second, being in a bar at 2 am.

Third, arguing with a drunk. Like having a rational discussion with some members of CEO. You will be verbally bent like pretzel until you acknowledge their godlike powers.

Fourth, apologizing, buying the drunk another drink and then running away from said riled up drunk.

If none of the above worked, and you do find yourself being beaten to death, then you will be forced to draw and stop the attack.

But be prepared to accept any and all consequences of that action. Knowing that the consolation prize is that you will live.
bladerunner
Tourist

Post by bladerunner »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:21 am It makes me think there is a potential scam here.

I did not expect that at the start, and frankly i was not even expected to be there by the alleged scammer, so a scam aimed at me i would say is definitely unlikely but ... after i was told that the dude lost his passport, i kind of felt that it was a little weird, having lived in different parts of the world, i would never ever even take my passport out of the safe until and unless it was to renew my visa or some administrative stuff.. in fact sometimes i would not even remember where that safe passport place was... so it did ring a bell when i learnt that the guy was carrying his passport on Christmas eve (this by the way he has even mentioned to the media on cne website) ... i guess as he realized there is another guy who can pay a fair amount of money he just made stuff up and of course it was a good excuse for him to not present his passport to the immigration police as his visa was expired and he would get into trouble as well... But looking back now, Mario definitely did not loose any money as i guess he was not making any... None of the money we paid went to him... So if indeed he was playing a scam, the poor guy is pretty bad it...

I met him after i was released and he wanted me to get him an Indian medical visa so his leg can be treated in India...

Ps... Sasha is the guy on the right, Marko is the guy on the left... i am sure you can guess which one i am....
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

bladerunner wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:53 pm

I did not expect that at the start, and frankly i was not even expected to be there by the alleged scammer, so a scam aimed at me i would say is definitely unlikely but ... after i was told that the dude lost his passport, i kind of felt that it was a little weird, having lived in different parts of the world, i would never ever even take my passport out of the safe until and unless it was to renew my visa or some administrative stuff.. in fact sometimes i would not even remember where that safe passport place was... so it did ring a bell when i learnt that the guy was carrying his passport on Christmas eve (this by the way he has even mentioned to the media on cne website) ... i guess as he realized there is another guy who can pay a fair amount of money he just made stuff up and of course it was a good excuse for him to not present his passport to the immigration police as his visa was expired and he would get into trouble as well... But looking back now, Mario definitely did not loose any money as i guess he was not making any... None of the money we paid went to him... So if indeed he was playing a scam, the poor guy is pretty bad it...

I met him after i was released and he wanted me to get him an Indian medical visa so his leg can be treated in India...

Ps... Sasha is the guy on the right, Marko is the guy on the left... i am sure you can guess which one i am....
The drunk German?!!!??
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
bladerunner
Tourist

Post by bladerunner »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:59 pm
bladerunner wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:53 pm

The drunk German?!!!??
Missing as he d have to pay a lot to get out of cambodia respectfully!!!!! Or he can just turn himself him to the immigration like a lot of illegal foreigners have been doing in cambodia recently...

The last i hear from my friends in siem reap, The serbian guy is in siem reap and so is the slovakian guy......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic