Baby Found Abandoned in Sen Sok Bin, Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Baby Found Abandoned in Sen Sok Bin, Phnom Penh

Post by explorer »

Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm Do you think his quest for a child has ended then?
I don't know and you don't know. You would have to ask him.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm If the child that was abandoned is placed in an orphanage how is this better?
You would have to know this man/family to know how well they are likely to look after this child, and then it depends on which orphanage and how well they will look after the child.

I would not recommend giving a child to someone I don't know.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm He returned the child because it was stolen not because he committed a crime, the mother that abandoned the child committed a crime as well.
Maybe he returned the child because it was posted on facebook, and it was likely he would get caught.

You can't make judgements about people you don't know.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm Many uneducated Khmer buy children, many uneducated or poor sell children, is a formal adoption to a foreign country preferable to you or to be housed in an orphanage with the hope a middle class Khmer family will eventually adopt?
I wrote a whole topic on giving away children, some time ago. If you search you could find it.

It is extremely rare for children in orphanages to get adopted. Children in orphanages don't get told they are likely to be adopted, and don't expect to be adopted.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm Many adopted children face a social stigma for life. Can you explain your reasoning please?
Not true. Cambodians normally accept everybody. It does not matter about their past, or if they are disabled, etc.

With Cambodian adoptions, the children are normally told the facts. They grow up knowing where they came from.

If it can be found where the child came from, I would start by talking to the mother and ask if she wants to reconsider. If not, I would ask if the grandmother, or some other relative can look after the child.

If the family can't be found, or nobody in the family wants the child, I would see if there is someone who wants to adopt the child. Social workers would need to go and see them, and determine if they would be good parents.

If not, an orphanage may be the only option.

A lot of people who buy children don't treat them as well as their own children. The bought children often become servants. Girls sometimes become prostitutes.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

xandreu wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm Terribly sad situation. I don't believe that many women would willingly does this without good reason. It doesn't make it right, it just makes it complicated. I hope it works out for the poor kid.
Yes, what a terrible situation. The mother might be a kid herself, she may be victim of incest or rape. She may be homeless and have no milk for her baby. It's Sen Sok, she might be a drug addict or mentally ill and unable to care for her baby. She might simply be very very poor and desperate.
Obviously, the woman does not have a family network to support her, or cannot count on them to take the baby. I think she needs help, not punishment.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:19 pm
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm Do you think his quest for a child has ended then?
I don't know and you don't know. You would have to ask him.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm If the child that was abandoned is placed in an orphanage how is this better?
You would have to know this man/family to know how well they are likely to look after this child, and then it depends on which orphanage and how well they will look after the child.

I would not recommend giving a child to someone I don't know.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm He returned the child because it was stolen not because he committed a crime, the mother that abandoned the child committed a crime as well.
Maybe he returned the child because it was posted on facebook, and it was likely he would get caught.

You can't make judgements about people you don't know.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm Many uneducated Khmer buy children, many uneducated or poor sell children, is a formal adoption to a foreign country preferable to you or to be housed in an orphanage with the hope a middle class Khmer family will eventually adopt?
I wrote a whole topic on giving away children, some time ago. If you search you could find it.

It is extremely rare for children in orphanages to get adopted. Children in orphanages don't get told they are likely to be adopted, and don't expect to be adopted.
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm Many adopted children face a social stigma for life. Can you explain your reasoning please?
Not true. Cambodians normally accept everybody. It does not matter about their past, or if they are disabled, etc.

With Cambodian adoptions, the children are normally told the facts. They grow up knowing where they came from.

If it can be found where the child came from, I would start by talking to the mother and ask if she wants to reconsider. If not, I would ask if the grandmother, or some other relative can look after the child.

If the family can't be found, or nobody in the family wants the child, I would see if there is someone who wants to adopt the child. Social workers would need to go and see them, and determine if they would be good parents.

If not, an orphanage may be the only option.

A lot of people who buy children don't treat them as well as their own children. The bought children often become servants. Girls sometimes become prostitutes.
Most Cambodians on Facebook do not use their real name.

Cambodians dont use time efficiently, which you may call unreliable

When Cambodians see cockroaches or ants, they get out the spray and spray them.

Cambodians dont understand that the spray is poisonous to humans

Cambodians dont steal from them when they are sleeping

Cambodians always argue that they are right. It may not collapse if they never have a lot of people on it at the same time
Most Cambodians dont understand the concept of safety

Cambodians think in terms of getting money now, and dont care

Thank you for the advice, I will try to follow your example.
deviantinfamous
Expatriate
Finland

Post by deviantinfamous »

are there no orphanages they can leave these kids?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic