The concept of bad language

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The concept of bad language

Post by explorer »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am I heard it said by hotel female staff who are certainly not bar girls and should not use bad language freely like that.
Say it to them, and see what reaction you get.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:52 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am A little like the french word merde, then?
No

I am amazed how many people live in the country but don't learn the language. If you put in the effort to learn the basics, it is easy to learn new words.
What does it have to do with learning the basics? This word sounds exactly like the word “f..k”. Why would they say it? Are they frustrated, upset? Can a barang say it when he is frustrated or upset? Please enlighten me.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am I heard it said by hotel female staff who are certainly not bar girls and should not use bad language freely like that.
Say it to them, and see what reaction you get.
First i am going to tell them not to use it next time i hear it and watch their reaction. If they wonder what’s the big deal i am going to inquire them more about it. If they get shy about it i will know for sure it’s bad language.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am Why would they say it? Are they frustrated, upset? Can a barang say it when he is frustrated or upset? Please enlighten me.
In Western culture we tell people if they say or do something we don't like. Cambodians don't. People say and do whatever they like, and normally nobody says anything.

If Cambodians don't like you, they wont say so. They just put on a fake act of being nice to you, but say bad things about you behind your back.

A lot of things we consider unacceptable, Cambodians consider acceptable.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am A lot of things we consider unacceptable, Cambodians consider acceptable.
Can you give more examples of this?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:00 am First i am going to tell them not to use it next time i hear it and watch their reaction. If they wonder what’s the big deal i am going to inquire them more about it. If they get shy about it i will know for sure it’s bad language.
You don't understand Cambodian culture. If you tell any Cambodian not to do anything, they think you are the one with the problem, not them. Expect them to laugh at you.

The only exception is children. For example, you can tell children not to play on the road.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am
explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am A lot of things we consider unacceptable, Cambodians consider acceptable.
Look at the way they drive.

Look at the way they throw rubbish everywhere.

Learn Khmer, and spend time with Cambodian people, things will become clearer.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am Learn Khmer, and spend time with Cambodian people, things will become clearer.
I try to do it as much as i can, thanks.
It is also interesting to get perspective on life here from westerners who have lived here long enough.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:07 am say bad things about you behind your back.
As the saying goes, sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am
Look at the way they drive.

Look at the way they throw rubbish everywhere.

Learn Khmer, and spend time with Cambodian people, things will become clearer.

Been there,, Done that,, Now I'm more confused than ever.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic