The concept of bad language

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The concept of bad language

Post by Spigzy »

There is casual learning, overheard swear words, etc. My 6-year old is now testing the water in this regard - but as has been pointed out whilst his first English words were Daddy, cars & beer - his first Khmer words were "Joy mais". I was so proud.

But then there is also the Millwall Way, direct from parent to child.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/ ... chant.html
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

pissontheroof wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:06 pm I have them bookmarked but just googled “ khmer swear words “ and got a bunch
These seem to be written by people who dont speak Khmer. Some are wrong. Some of these sites ask for votes. See how many people vote them as being wrong. Those that are correct or partly correct, are spelt so badly, if you said them the way they are spelt, you would probably pronounce them so badly Cambodians would not understand you.

They are trying to translate English swear words into Khmer. Khmer is not a translation of English. Cambodians say things differently.

I suggest people learn Khmer properly. When you speak Khmer, you will hear what they say. The good, the bad, the ugly and the stupid.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!” in situations the speaker is very much upset about something? Could I have mistaken it for another word unknown to me that sounds similar?

The reason I ask I heard it said by hotel female staff who are certainly not bar girls and should not use bad language freely like that. Is it not that bad in khmer? Did they say it because they think a barang would not understand? Would they use it with older khmer people nearby or only among younger themselves?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!”
No
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

explorer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:58 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!”
No
Well, then what is the closest equivalent in english for what they say?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:04 am
No
Oh fiddlesticks. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:08 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:04 am
No
Oh fiddlesticks. :hattip:
So if a barang uses it when he is upset about something, this will not be bad language to khmer ears? Somehow I doubt it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!” in situations the speaker is very much upset about something? Could I have mistaken it for another word unknown to me that sounds similar?

The reason I ask I heard it said by hotel female staff who are certainly not bar girls and should not use bad language freely like that. Is it not that bad in khmer? Did they say it because they think a barang would not understand? Would they use it with older khmer people nearby or only among younger themselves?
It's used by all sorts of people for the slightest reason.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:44 am
hunter8 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 am Sometimes I hear word “Choy” used as an exclamation. Is it the same meaning as english “..ck!” in situations the speaker is very much upset about something? Could I have mistaken it for another word unknown to me that sounds similar?

It's used by all sorts of people for the slightest reason.
A little like the french word merde, then?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:47 am A little like the french word merde, then?
No

I am amazed how many people live in the country but don't learn the language. If you put in the effort to learn the basics, it is easy to learn new words.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic