Maximum age for teachers.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Maximum age for teachers.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Is there an age limit to teaching in the Kingdom? Are there any/many chalkies over sixty or so still enlightening Cambodia's youth?

Not that I'm throwing in semi retirement any time soon, just curious tis all.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Maximum age for teachers.

Post by Freightdog »

I’d hope there are.

Rather like with politics, a desire to only be a teacher without actually building on one’s experiences and character surely must result in a pretty poor final product. I believe that there should be some significant substance to the teaching staff as a group, beyond just being qualified. Newly qualified learning from more experienced colleagues. Knowledge passed down. Every day being a learning day, for everybody.
Being able to cite ad nauseum a curriculum which has been established elsewhere is all well and good, but if there is little appreciation of how the imparted knowledge might benefit the student, how can a student be answered when they ask ‘So what?’

I’ve experienced this locally with arrogant and very young teachers who have ‘made the grade’ and therefore have nothing more to learn, and as a consequence have little respect for their students, the parents or their more experienced colleagues. Likewise, I’ve flown with younger and older colleagues with the same mindset. They fail to appreciate that their viewpoint is only relevant in their little bubbleverse. They’ll be safe so long as it lasts, but if the bubble bursts, and they have to find their way in a different, more exacting arena, they’ll likely be found wanting.

The deadwood who have been hanging on for years will no doubt still hang on. The greater loss is that experience and knowledge that may no longer exist with the departure of older hands. Having an arbitrary retirement age, rather than retirement based on competency achieves just that.

(I’m likely just rambling)
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Maybe @simon43 can chime in.

I think he is in his 60's and he had a surprising amount of difficulty securing a teaching position in Cambodia despite his depth and breadth of teaching experience in Thailand, Myanmar and Laos etc.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I suspect Cambodian teachers normally retire at retirement age. There are probably no rules for foreign teachers. It is probably up to each school if they employ older teachers.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

There is no retirement age for teachers in Cambodia. In China, its 60.
I'm 59 with a 2 year old son so I'll be teaching until I drop.

In my experience, the only stressful thing about teachingis poor student behavior. From what I have read on ISR, Cambodian students are very polite and respectful.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Some countries have age limits for work visas (e.g. Saudi Arabia) but I dont think Cambodia does.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic