Happy Thanksgiving (and Black Friday)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Happy Thanksgiving (and Black Friday)

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s the old time honored New England tradition of turkey, stuffing, ham, gravy, pumpkin pie, etc, until I turn into a turkey as a way of giving thanks to all the good fortune of my life. Hopefully by this time next year missus will be enjoying it with me and my parents as well.

And then then the afterwards, aka Black Friday.
The start of shopping madness.

At AEON mall, seen ads already for Black Friday. Wondering when Thanksgiving will arrive in the Kingdom of Wonder.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and may all have a blessed year! And good luck getting the Black Friday deals!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Happy Thanksgiving (and Black Friday)

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

Psar Angkor in Siem Reap already had their 20 foot Christmas tree up and carols on the store sound system... yesterday...
I gave Thanks with my beautiful wife and was happy with her fried chicken..rice and mixed green vegetables...So lucky to have a wonderful Khmer wife....Peace
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

j57 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:31 am Psar Angkor in Siem Reap already had their 20 foot Christmas tree up and carols on the store sound system... yesterday...
I gave Thanks with my beautiful wife and was happy with her fried chicken..rice and mixed green vegetables...So lucky to have a wonderful Khmer wife....Peace
I'm happy that someone like you is happy. I am too as are my wife and my kids. :thumb:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

How would Thanksgiving work in Cambodia? Give thanks to the Indians for the Khmer empire? what about Canadian Thanksgiving? Or Russian Christmas?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

One thing I have always greatly enjoyed as an expat is being far away from all the annual traditional events that people in the USA feel obligated to recognize and repeat over and over again. From New Year's Eve and the Superbowl to Christmas Day, the mass hypnosis reinforced by the media strengthens the bonds of the state and programs everyone to be a part of the crowd.

Have a happy ordinary day!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:31 pm How would Thanksgiving work in Cambodia? Give thanks to the Indians for the Khmer empire? what about Canadian Thanksgiving? Or Russian Christmas?
They have one, it's called Prampi Makara. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey @Yong, can we come out to dinner with you tonite, for a slightly late Thanksgiving?
We'll pay - everything.
You just gotta choose the best place and order all the food.
We all reckon that this Thanksgiving we will eat like kings for once in our life.
'K?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

harvest festival analog
same as pchum benh/dia de muertos/halloween etc

monstra mihi bona!
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

Thanksgiving was declared in 1941 by FDR. IIRC
Before that the south declared thanksgiving day as the celebration
of their win at the battle of bull run. and then again after the second
battle of bull run.
Then Lincoln declared thanksgiving as the celebration of the civil war win
for the north.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic