Antibiotics overuse and abuse is a danger to all

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Antibiotics overuse and abuse is a danger to all

Post by talltuktuk »

Duncan wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:34 am
talltuktuk wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 am The government has largely failed to provide clean water, properly functioning sewage infrastructure, proper community sanitation, food safety standards, air quality standards, and hygiene education.

But yes, let’s allocate these supposed government resources to restrict medications and force people to go to the unqualified and idiotic doctors that they can’t afford anyway. Just don’t allocate too many of those resources though, wouldn’t want to cut into the luxury car budgets.

Your going a bit hard on PP Water Service. I think they do a bloody good job when you look at the area they cover and the price is damn cheap and better quality than for what I pay for in Australia.
I wasn’t specifically citing PP water. Of course it’s the best, it’s where all the rich politicians live and it’s the city that’s used to represent Cambodia to the world. And water is only one part of the entire equation.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The water supply includes the pipes.
That is where Phnom Penh Water Service falls down (and when you need the antibiotics)

Cheap plastic pipe hurriedly laid - according to my old plumber mate.
It's ok when the pressure is on - no contamination can get into all those splits and broken joints.
But when there is any pumping station problem, or local shut down - contaminated water seeps in.

I used to brush my teeth with water from the tap when in PP, but not after having a chat with a plumber.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:42 pm The water supply includes the pipes.
That is where Phnom Penh Water Service falls down (and when you need the antibiotics)

It's ok when the pressure is on - no contamination can get into all those splits and broken joints.
But when there is any pumping station problem, or local shut down - contaminated water seeps in.

I used to brush my teeth with water from the tap when in PP, but not after having a chat with a plumber.

What does your plumber use,,, beer ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:28 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:42 pm The water supply includes the pipes.

Actually, yes probably.
But it still makes sense to know-nothing-about-plumbing me.
Any other views/information on this?
Does anyone still drink the tap water in Phnom Penh?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 am
Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:28 am

Actually, yes probably.
But it still makes sense to know-nothing-about-plumbing me.
Any other views/information on this?
Does anyone still drink the tap water in Phnom Penh?

I have posted several times, that I only drink Distilled water, which I make myself. When the unit has finished and shuts down you are left with the stuff that does not boil and evaporate. eg: dirt and any chemicals that need a higher temperature than 100 degree to evaporate.

In PP the small amount of remains left in the distiller have convinced me that the water here is very good, when I compare it to the water I distill in Australia, but because of maintenance on water supply lines is ongoing , every day is not the same.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
J21H21
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by J21H21 »

"Ministry spokesman Ly Sovann said Cambodia had recently conducted its first consultation on AMR since 2011. Mr Sovann addressed Cambodians’ willingness to use antibiotics even in cases of benign infection, such as the flu. “I would like to confirm that in 60 percent of flu cases, no antibiotics are needed."
Please be advised that antibiotics are ineffective in 100% of common cold and flu cases. Colds and the flu are caused by viruses, which hijack cell DNA in order to replicate. Bacteria replicate through binary fission (a Fibonacci sequence - 1,2,4,8,16, etc).
I encourage readers to Google the above-mentioned information to confirm and also to avoid using antibiotics for colds or the flu. They are totally useless.
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

The title of this thread is the repugnant song of the rich, saying the poor must die.

The rich get antibiotics through expensive medical plans and they don't want
poor people having access to life saving medicine. Fuck them.

and above I see one persons mistaken belief,
"also to avoid using antibiotics for colds or the flu. They are totally useless."

If that were so, why would they be used ? Here is how you might want to use
antibiotics for a cold or flu. If you ever had the kind of cold that starts up in
the sinus, and over time goes into the throat, and still later ends up in the lungs,
seemingly hanging on and on and on, this is the time for antibiotics.

The lungs don't drain well, and over time you have not only a viral infection but
also a bacterial infection. The antibiotics will most certainly work on the bacterial part, causing you to feel better in order to deal with recovery.

The Walking Street Journal had a series on how you can be your own doctor
and take better care of yourself than most GPs would take care of you.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Is taking Antibiotics responsible? my gp says otherwise.
The problem is you get an infection so you go to the pharmacy who gives you 3 days supply. that is enough to knock out most of the bacteria butnot all, and the new ones mutate. So after 5 days you go back to the pharmacy and get another 3 days, which kills off any wek one sleft, leaving the resistant ones to breed and bingo now your bug is immune to Penecilin or whatever. According to my quack the problem is not using antibiotice too often, but not taking enough to kill the bugs off in one hit before they develop immunity. Not an expert, but it makes sense. if the bugs you have are already immune then taking antibiotics is not going to change that. if they are not immune and you kill all of them then no resisatnt ones left. But if you only kill half with a dose that is too weak or not for long enough then the resistant ones come through.
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

Human antibiotic use is like a glass of water, compared to the Mekong river.

It is not where resistance would come from. Most antibiotic use is in animals.
Chickens live their whole life eating antibiotic laced food. Generations and
generations of them passing on the greatly feared RESISTANT ONE. And yet
it hasn't happened.

We have only the fake news stories of MSRA where an infection gets loose and
threatens to kill everyone in the hospital.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Personally, although super sceptical of BigPharma, i usually choose to believe scientists above anyone else.
Not pharmaceutical drug pushers. Scientists.

I do believe them when they say Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam is ground zero for multi-drug resistant infections.
That it is likely to be an increasingly major major problem.
And that rampart and inappropriate over-prescribing is one of the main drivers.
When leading researchers and public health doctors suddenly start screaming "Take less of these drugs", I listen.

Incidentally, new research is questioning the conventional wisdom of needing to take the full script.
The problem is, where to draw the line? Stay tuned for developments on this one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic