Tonle Sap floating villages to be resettled by government

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Tonle Sap floating villages to be resettled by government

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:17 pm A lot of people are not included in the census,
Vietnamese are concerned they may be deported, so they have even more reason to avoid the census.
Staying off the radar, and not trusting enough to properly involve themselves in the full responsibilities of their "homeland" might be somewhat understandable - but it was a very bad mistake wasn't it?

Personally, call me jaded if you want but please don't label me racist for this, i reckon most of the long-termers still remaining just wanted to stay off the radar because it suited their arrogant Vietnamese nature - and would also free them from complying from the law of land generally.

In any case, most of them are almost certainly new-comers, hiding under the cover of the long-termers.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

[Mod edit: no need to troll other member]
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:07 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:16 pm After 1979 many of those who had fled in the early 1970s returned
Many who had not lived in Cambodia before, also came in.
That's what I wrote directly after what you quoted.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:26 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:07 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:16 pm After 1979 many of those who had fled in the early 1970s returned
Many who had not lived in Cambodia before, also came in.
That's what I wrote directly after what you quoted.
OK
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

To be fair, some of Explorers history is correct.
I acknowledge the point JB made - that some of the vietnamese who were forced to leave in the 70's returned. Hence they are not really "new-comers"
But i also agree with Explorer (and JB) who noted that many new-comers also came along with them.
And that many chose to stay off the radar, for whatever reason.

Explorer also correctly pointed out that historically there have always been ebbs and flows of populations all though this region. However it is probably not in Cambodia's best interest to allow this situation to continue.
Apart from anything else, the hard reality is that Cambodian communities, businesses and resource stocks are just too vulnerable to withstand being overrun by more capable outsiders.

And importantly, Cambodia finally seems to be shifting towards the rule of law, at least the stirrings. We are getting to the stage where that is the best business model for the tycoons.
Having "alien" communities who insist on staying off the radar, and excusing themselves from the law and from all petty regulations, is old school stuff. Unfortunately that is how so many ethnic Vietnamese prefer to operate.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

October 21, 2020
$27,000 raised for Vietnamese-Cambodians living on Tonle Sap water as they prepare to relocate
The Vietnamese Embassy in Cambodia and the Vietnam Business Club in Cambodia (VBCC) have raised $27,000 and two tonnes of rice to support the Vietnamese-Cambodians living on Tonle Sap water who are to relocate to land this month.

According to Kampong Chhnang provincial authorities, about 500 households with 1,471 people living on boats on Tonle Sap, Kampong Chhnang city, will be subject to relocation.

Most of them are the poor without stable jobs while fisheries resources are increasingly limited.

In the immediate future, they will be provided with food and clean water in resettlement areas, and support in changing jobs.

Industrial-agricultural plant growing projects by the Vietnam Rubber Group and the Truong Hai Agriculture JSC (THAGRICO) have generated jobs to the Vietnamese-Cambodians in the Tonle Sap area over the past five months.

Since June, THAGRICO hired over 500 Vietnamese-Cambodian workers and thousands of Cambodians in nearby provinces for its agriculture projects.

The Vietnamese Cambodians are among more than 10,000 people living in floating houses on Tonle Sap Lake who must relocate under the Cambodia Government’s plan to address environmental pollution in the lake caused by floating houses.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50775375/2 ... -relocate/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic