What money if any can I bring IN for holiday please?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
sue.horne
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: What money if any can I bring IN for holiday please?

Post by sue.horne »

Isaanbarang wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:40 am I would caution you against using your real name or photo on this forum. The same caution should be used if you were to divulge any personal information. If you read the comments about the Filipina arrested by immigration yesterday, you will see that many posters on this forum feel the need to attack a woman on her looks, one poster suggested...... [Mod edit: post since removed]. The level of respect many, certainly not all, but many of the members (pun intended) have for women is shockingly low. You appear to be a nice person, good luck on your trip.
crikey, well i shall make a new account!,
yes, i am a nice person!
Thank you for your advise
sue.horne
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by sue.horne »

frizzie77 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:45 pm
explorer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm a lot of people get robbed between the airport and the city, so it is not wise to carry a lot of cash.
@explorer Drama Queen!

To the OP: read this as: "Sometimes people get robbed between the airport and the city, but they're usually not the brightest and on top of that usually, let's say 'looking for some illegal substances', in other words: almost asking for it."

Normal visitors/tourists rarely get robbed between the airport and the city.
BTW, this is not to say you should carry a lot of cash (as there indeed is no need for it), but scaring people is the other extreme, IMO.
Cheers Frizzie
yes, as everywhere in the world, this "could" happen!
sue.horne
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by sue.horne »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:24 am As above you can only legally bring in less than $10,000 in cash without declaring it. As above you should try not to ever carry so much cash on you. There is no need to much of the time, use your cards and take out less cash. Or else hire a bodyguard.
haha, no need for bodygaurd! i like that!
yes, not too much cash on us, cards, yes, looking to do a pre paid one that@s got as little ATM charges as possible!
sue.horne
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by sue.horne »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 pm We have atm's......just withdraw USD as and when needed. It ain't that complicated.
yup, thanks for that Ego, thankfully, i am not an idiot and I know there are ATM's
wasn't my question, but, thank you for your answers/suggestions
sue.horne
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by sue.horne »

explorer wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm I think legally you can bring in up to US$10,000 cash, or equivalent. If it is more than that, I think you need to declare it.

However, a lot of people get robbed between the airport and the city, so it is not wise to carry a lot of cash.

Exchange a small amount of money to US dollars before you come, so you have something to spend for the first day or two. Get small denominations, like $1, $5, $10, and $20, as many places don't have a lot of change.

If you bring in a foreign currency, and exchange it to US dollars at a bank in Cambodia, you normally get a better exchange rate than exchanging it to US dollars at home. It is up to you how much cash you bring.

You can withdraw from ATMs. You normally get $100 notes, and many places wont have change for them. I suggest, go to an ATM at a bank, do the withdrawal, then go inside and change it to smaller denominations.
Excellent info Explorer!
especially this (you can withdraw from ATMs. You normally get $100 notes, and many places wont have change for them. I suggest, go to an ATM at a bank, do the withdrawal, then go inside and change it to smaller denominations.)

Thank you
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You can withdraw any amount from $10 up. There are money changers everywhere, and long gone are the days when changing $100 was any big issue in bars, restaurants, shops etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:22 pm You can withdraw any amount from $10 up. There are money changers everywhere, and long gone are the days when changing $100 was any big issue in bars, restaurants, shops etc.
If you are a regular customer and they know you. If you are not, many places will say they don't have change. Money changers are there to make a profit, and will want you to pay for it. If you withdraw from an ATM at a bank, they change the money in the bank, they will do it for free.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
sue.horne
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by sue.horne »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:19 am May i ask - what are your main interests here? Sorry, i have an over-active curiosity gland,
but you might also get a few in-the-know tips from some of our maybe-in-the-know-maybe-totally-deluded :D CEO membership.
Holidaying Coming in to Cambodia for 2-3 weeks.
Sihanoukville for few days mainland/coast near the pier to catch the (one of the many i see) ferry over to our stay at Koh Rong, (coconut Beach)
Moving after few days up to Phnom Penh for a stay then up to Siem Reap for a while...
To Vietnam for couple weeks

so any places that are a MUST see would be greatly appreciated!

cheers everyone!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:22 pm You can withdraw any amount from $10 up.
If you have a Cambodian bank account. If you don't, the fees are more than $10, so you need to withdraw large amounts to avoid paying a huge amount in fees.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

sue.horne wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:39 pm Sihanoukville for few days
Sihanoukville is a huge Chinese construction site. It is difficult to get accommodation at a reasonable price.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic