What money if any can I bring IN for holiday please?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: What money if any can I bring IN for holiday please?

Post by andy1 »

Be very carefull with your phone,Phone snatching is a very common crime here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sue.horne wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:56 am Haha! I am so excited! Doing Thailand then Cambodia, Sihanoukville, onto Koh Rong, up to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap.
Vietnam. Back to Bangkok! Then Kent! 5 weeks total

Yes, I have another question!
I think I'm right that because we're probably going to be in Cambodia for more than 14 days we'll need a 30 day visa?
VOA?
US rules and get good rates in higher bills, ( the thai baht is very strong now)
$50/day will cover you fine for thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, ( excluding airfare) if ur traveling with ur partner. Bring an atm card
30 day visa on arrival for Cambodia $30
FREE 30 day visa exempt for Thailand
Vietnam..not sure as depends on ur passport
Forget sihanoukville and KR. Better beaches, (and cheaper) in Thailand

Enjoy :beer3:

PS:ignore Explorer, 99.99% of tourists never have any trouble or problem in SE asia other than maybe a upset stomach, ( BUT try all the food)

Use Common sense an dont get drunk and walk the streets alone at night
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 am Welcome to CEO, original poster. Please don’t let all the keyboard warriors here scare you or put you down.

As to your questions. US Dollars and Cambodian Riel is the currency. Everything is paid in US Dollars with Cambodian Riel as small change (4000 Riel = 1 US Dollar).

First, 10,000 US dollars is the max allowed to be carried. About 1,000 US dollars per week is more than enough. If you pre-pay for lodging, much less.
100 Dollar bills can be exchanged for smaller currency at money exchangers or banks. Be wary using them at restaurants or shops as fakes may be exchanged. Initially bring 100 US Dollars in 20 Dollar bills for the tourist visa and car ride, and the rest in 100 Dollar bills for exchange.

If you are a citizen from certain parts of Africa, you must carry a certain amount to enter the country. Actually all visitors are supposed to have enough, but passport control will actually stop and demand it be shown or refuse entry. British or Australian or US or other western citizens, especially caucasians, they just wave on through.

Go to the airport by car. Any long distance travel go by car. Carjackings are very rare. The most used ride hailing apps are PassApp and Grab. Download before coming to Cambodia.

The most common robbery is getting a backpack ripped off you while riding a motorcycle. Next is riding a tuk tuk. Otherwise violent crime is not common. Don’t ride a motorcycle. Travel by Bujaj (Indian tricycle) or car.

Wear a fanny pack or sling. Nothing screams tourist more, but it’s more secure. Never let it out of your sight.

Don’t stay at hostels or open air tents or any shared rooms. Keep your fanny pack locked at the front desk when not on you. Preferably with a small combo lock on the zipper as well. Take small money amounts (50 to 100 US dollars total) with you to go out.

As the eternal traveler to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is what I do when I go.

Anyone else have other positive suggestions so this lady can have a wonderful time?
All good sound advice, but your statement that 10,000 US dollars is the maximum you can bring in is incorrect, you can bring in as much cash as you like (there is no limit that I’m aware of) however you are required to declare anything above 10,000 US dollars and you may be asked to explain/justify your reasons for carrying that amount (this is just for the record, I appreciate this is unlikely to be an issue for someone traveling on a 5 week vacation)
I’ll add one other bit of advice for the traveler to the KOW, as well as checking for fake bills, to check the condition of the dollar bills you receive in your change, dirty or damaged/torn bills will be rejected when you try to spend them.
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

I would caution you against using your real name or photo on this forum. The same caution should be used if you were to divulge any personal information. If you read the comments about the Filipina arrested by immigration yesterday, you will see that many posters on this forum feel the need to attack a woman on her looks, one poster suggested...... [Mod edit: post since removed]. The level of respect many, certainly not all, but many of the members (pun intended) have for women is shockingly low. You appear to be a nice person, good luck on your trip.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 am The most common robbery is getting a backpack ripped off you while riding a motorcycle.
Absolutely not true. The most common robbery is phone snatching, followed by handbag snatching. Beware of taking advice from those who have never lived here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 am The most common robbery is getting a backpack ripped off you while riding a motorcycle.
Absolutely not true. The most common robbery is phone snatching, followed by handbag snatching. Beware of taking advice from those who have never lived here.
Absolutely not true.

The most common robbery is stealing from your boss by napping/facebooking whilst on the job.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

sue.horne wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:56 am Haha! I am so excited! Doing Thailand then Cambodia, Sihanoukville, onto Koh Rong, up to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap.

I think I'm right that because we're probably going to be in Cambodia for more than 14 days we'll need a 30 day visa?
VOA?
There is talk, again, in Thailand today of a double tourist visa that would allow two trips to Thailand and a trip to Cambodia. It has been talked about before but never happened.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Vietnam. Back to Bangkok!

Then Kent! 5 weeks total

VOA?

Where the hell is Kent ?

Or should I ask which Kent,,, as it appears every country on earth ,, and probable the moon ,, has a place called Kent.

Just asking .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hiway5 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:23 pm

VOA?
There is talk, again, in Thailand today of a double tourist visa that would allow two trips to Thailand and a trip to Cambodia. It has been talked about before but never happened.
They had double and even triple visas for decades that was replaced by the METV about 2 years ago and has zero to do with a Cambodian visa... :beer3:
Its a worthless gesture as you can get 30 day FREE visa exempt entries which is great for traveling in the area and using Thailand as ur base.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Duncan wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:48 pm
Vietnam. Back to Bangkok!

Then Kent! 5 weeks total

VOA?

Where the hell is Kent ?
Or should I ask which Kent,,, as it appears every country on earth ,, and probable the moon ,, has a place called Kent.

Just asking .
Kent is in the southeast of England. All other Kent’s being mere pretenders.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic