Purchases on Amazon

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Purchases on Amazon

Post by samrong01 »

Has anyone tried buying on Amazon recently for delivery to Cambodia? I have tried but found that in the delivery address it always says "Enter a valid ZIP or postal code". It does not matter what you enter it is always invalid. Even though I already had a Cambodian address in their system, it rejected that as well with the same message. Consequently it is impossible to enter a delivery address in Cambodia. I contacted their chat centre who were unhelpful and suggested sending somewhere else.

Has anyone had this problem and found any solution?
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Purchases on Amazon

Post by andy1 »

I think cambodian zip codes were changed recently,so check you have the right code.
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

This has happened since the Post Office in Cambodia changed from a five digit postcode to six figure post codes.

You now need to enter a six figure post code or the order will not be accepted
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Link below can help you find the right zip code

http://www.khpostcode.com/
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Thanks for the link. Pity Amazon could not tell me that.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Always insist that your phone number is on the packaging. This is way more important than getting the address correct. That way, they will always call you before attempting delivery. Then you can either ask a Khmer friend to give them the exact delivery address (if you don't speak fluent Khmer) or simply pick it up yourself from the sorting office.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Yes absolutely important to have the phone number. Western post offices and couriers simply can not grasp the concept of "no postal delivery" and insist on an address. It does not matter if the address is fictitious.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

I did order books with Amazon. It took 3 weeks to get the package from the US. I have a PO Box at the post-office which does help a lot when receiving letters or packages from abroad. Otherwise do like suggested by Xandreu, insist that your phone number is on the packaging.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

xandreu wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 am Always insist that your phone number is on the packaging. This is way more important than getting the address correct. That way, they will always call you before attempting delivery. Then you can either ask a Khmer friend to give them the exact delivery address (if you don't speak fluent Khmer) or simply pick it up yourself from the sorting office.
I doubt if Amazon orders are handled differently than orders from eBay, Aliexpress, etc., but I've never once had the PP Post Office call me to inform me a package has arrived, and never once has the PP Post Office delivered the package to my address, despite always having my phone number on the label as part of my address.

Cuts down on labor costs, I guess.

Instead, it seems, they just enter the phone number in the computer and wait for you to go there looking for your package. Even then, there is no supervision to check that the phone numbers get entered into the computer database accurately. Lord knows they're not exactly detail-oriented.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Amazon has a dedicated phone number field that is passed to and put on the DHL label available to the delivery driver. You don’t need to force your phone number into the address.

It might be because you’re specifying an invalid address that your package is left at the post office. I always get mine in hand and signed for on my doorstep. I repeat, every Amazon package I order goes directly to my house. Ya’ll are doing something wrong.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic